Tonight (Labor Day 2023) (Sept. 4th)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr morbius

Senior Cook
I've decided to try something new.

I assume you are all familiar with the classic chicken and stuffing baked dish, yes? Cut up chicken breast, mixed with cream of whatever soup and topped with a box of prepared stuffing mix. Classic, easy. My plan is to make this with Italian sausage instead of chicken.

I'm going to precook the (3) sausages in my pressure cooker so it gets nice and soft, in a broth made with chicken and some of that Better Than Bouillon Italian Herbs seasoning. I will then slice them up, place them in my baking dish, top with a mixture of jarred Alfredo sauce and some of the cooking liquid from the sausage. After that, top with the stuffing and bake, covered, for about 35 minutes at 350F. Steamed broccoli on the side.

Think it will work?

Sautéed shrimp stuffed into a toasted New England style hot dog bun with chips and marinated cucumber slices on the side.

No sugar added vanilla ice cream for afters.

🐷🐷🐷

Have a safe Labor Day!!!

1693833272677.jpeg

Haven't decided yet. Hubby's stomach has been off for the past few days and although I have some lobster, scallops, shrimp and snow crab (and mussels for my plate--hubby doesn't care for them) and wanted to make a seafood pasta, that might not happen today. Everything is frozen so it's no hardship but meanwhile I don't know what else to cook. Maybe a baked macaroni and 4-cheese with chicken breast under, bacon on top, and peas on the side if his stomach doesn't settle down. I know it sounds rich but that's the kind of food he likes when he gets a tummy ache.

I have country-style ribs sitting in the fridge with a rub and I'm going to make baked beans. We'll have a salad and I'm trying to get the energy to make peach muffins for dessert.
We had ribs (baby back) and baked beans (and macaroni salad and potato salad) last night! We had a small dinner party and MIL brought a cake and nephew's wife brought Ciabatta bread. Youngest daughter and fiance brought ice and beer and oldest daughter brought paper plates and other beverages. Nice gathering. I know, wrong thread...but related cuz it is, afterall, typical Labor Day food.

Stir-steamed zucchini, onion, waterchestnuts, then red/yellow/green bell peppers, broccoli trees, with a cornstarch water soysauce garlic hoisin sauce thickened, served over brown basmati veggie rice topped with wedges of tomatoes. Meal sized salads w/diced peaches on them, later.

Slow Cooker Orange Chicken for One on the go. In a bit I'll put some rice in the Rice Cooker.
All I need now is to find Jeeves to dish it out for me and hand me my napkin. :)
What recipe do you use for your orange chicken, and is it the kind that is coated (like Chinese take out) and fried before putting in the crock (AKA slow cooker)?

I still have a bit of postdrome from Saturday's migraine, but I did manage to make an easy supper. I took the leftover gyro pork and rice pilaf from yesterday's Greek resto delivery and used it for a stir fry with rice. I also used the leftover pork from the pork roast. I took chopped carrots, green beans, peas, and corn niblets out of the freezer, as well as some ginger-garlic pesto. I fried the rice and some sliced onion. I add the meat. I added the vegis, except the peas. I chopped up a small, wilted, head of Boston lettuce. In went the ginger-garlic pesto, then the lettuce and peas, and finally some corn starch mixed into some vegi stock and a bit of vegan chicken broth powder. I gave it a quick stir and tasted it. It didn't need anything else. I did bring some fermented black bean sauce and tamari to the table. The black bean sauce is not yet in my cooking repertoire, so we wanted to see how it worked with a little bit of that meal. It worked well. We never got around to using the tamari. Oh and there were also some toasted sesame seeds. The texture was a bit mushy, but the flavour was wonderful. I didn't have the spoons to take pix.

I'm going to precook the (3) sausages in my pressure cooker so it gets nice and soft, in a broth made with chicken and some of that Better Than Bouillon Italian Herbs seasoning. I will then slice them up, place them in my baking dish, top with a mixture of jarred Alfredo sauce and some of the cooking liquid from the sausage. After that, top with the stuffing and bake, covered, for about 35 minutes at 350F. Steamed broccoli on the side.

Think it will work?

I can’t see why not, but were it me, I’d squeeze the sausage mixture out of the casing and then make it as you have outlined. More like a ragu.

I've decided to try something new.

Think it will work?
Don't know which way you went with the sausages dr morbius but it sounds great.
I can’t see why not, but were it me, I’d squeeze the sausage mixture out of the casing and then make it as you have outlined. More like a ragu.
Jade, do you not worry that it would take on a boiled taste?
Loose ground meat in a broth? I've not had good experiences with that. I usually always cook ground meat alone or with seasonings then add liquid. Don't necessarily brown the meat but still cooked before the liquid is added.

Taking the suggestions into account, I think that I would fry off the sausage with some aromatics and make a casserole of sausage dressing to be topped with the Alfredo sauce or a more traditional gravy made with the BTB, a roux, and water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom