Marinade for antelope

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigjimbray

Cook
ISO antelope marinade. My younger brother just got back from hunting in
Wyoming. and he gave me about 4-6 lbs of different antelope meats. Like a
roast, ground meat, and steaks. He told me to get a good marinade to flavor
the meat. So I would like to ask for your help. I have never eaten antelope
meat before. I woulf appreciate your help. thank you in advance.

Wow! BigJim...I've never eaten antelope either! I wonder what it would taste like without a marinade?? That being said, I would think that any marinade suitable for venison would could be applied to antelope!

Enjoy!

:)
I have had antelope from Wyoming many times they are called Prong Horn Antelope DH goes to Wyoming once a year to hunt for one.It depends on who you talk to some people like it, some hate it its quite gamey in taste.I personally dont like it, way to gamey for me but some people like that.A good marinade will cut the gamey taste so I would find a marinade with alot of flavor in it.Another thought is you dont want to over cook it as it has really no fat so if you overcook it could get tough.Grilling it is a good way to cook it.You might really like it.You can also grind it up for burgers if you like.
I like game meat but in this order all of which I get alot of for practically nothing Bison,White Tail Deer or Axis Deer from Texas that has eaten grains etc from automatic feeders,Elk and last the Black Buck Antelope from Texas but not a favorite. I also will not touch Mule Deer way too gamey but thats me .
Any marinade that works on beef will work for Antelope.Think of it as any red meat.The ground Antelope most likely has some pork fat in as that is what most proccesors do to it to add some fat.

Last edited:
I'm thinking something with bourbon/whiskey in it. Worcestershire, garlic, oil, lots of cracked black pepper, rosemary...I dunno. I'ld give it a shot plain first though, might be great to begin with.

For old venison (old bucks) which some parts of can be quite gamey, I have used a concoction of water, wrochestershire, oil, vinegar, bay leaves, thyme, with garlic and onion powder added, and the key item, about 10 or 12 crushed juniper berries. Bring everything to a boil (except oil) for a few minutes. Remove from the fire, then add the oil. When completely cool marinate for 4-6-8 hours or so. This will "disguise" the flavor of the gamey flavor somewhat, but will do very little to tenderize the meat.

I like the bourbon idea too! Pour two ounces in a glass, and slowly sip while the meat is cooking!;)

Relax, Have Fun & Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom