I eat, therefore I cook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grillncook

Cook
Happy Fourth of July!!!

I wanted to tell everyone a bit about us (my Lovely Lady, Linda and myself, Bruce). The first thing that you need to know is that we are what is called "Full Timers". We live and travel full time in a 38' Motor Home, and if you aren't familiar with the lifestyle it's a great way to live. We do have a home base in Texas, recently purchased, but our heart is on the open road. We are retired, and are busier now, than when we were working.

I do the cooking, or I should say grilling. We carry a Weber "Q" gas grill with us and I have a Weber Performer charcoal grill at the sticks and bricks. I'm pretty good and getting better at preparing our meals. I've been playing with grilling and smoke cooking for about the last 25 years and I learn something new every day. I'm a spice and fresh herb junkie and I'm just beginning to learn the subtile nuances of correctly flavoring a dish.

I look forward to learning from all the members, here and, just maybe I can bring something new to the party.

Bruce

Hi Bruce! Welcome.
Travelling and cooking. What a great lifestyle.

Welcome, Gnc.
What a great way to retire!
How much have you travelled so far?
What favorite places so far?
Are you experiencing regional foods around your travels?

Thanks for dropping in.​

Hi Bruce! Welcome to DC. This is a warm and friendly place, full of people who unselfishly share their treasured cooking secrets and lift your spirits when you are low. My sweetheart and I are also retired, but have found our own paradise here in Mexico. We have friends who have chosen the gypsy life, and they love it. So many new places to see and people to meet. Keep us posted on your travels.

I think you're pretty much living a lot of peoples dreams. How fantastic!!! Welcome to DC.

I think that if you make it a point to really analyze local cuisine, you can really hone your pallet to make consistently fantastic food. It could be a great talking piece as well!

Keep us updated with your travels!

As to how far we've traveled, we have logged about 12,000 miles since December of '07. We've been up and down the East Coast, through the Southeast, Texas, Colorado, Wyoming and now we are back in Texas. I grew up, went to high school and college in Houston, so I'm home basically. My Bride is from Virginia, and while she has traveled extensively outside the country, she hasn't seen much of our country.

I have to laugh at the local flavor comment, because sad to say there is very little left to find. Most of all you find generic food every place you go. It seems like it all comes out of the same warehouse, is delivered on the same trucks, and tastes the same as what you had yesterday 500 miles away. Very seldom do you find anything unique. One of the neatest food places we have been is Pinedale, Wyoming a town of 1400 about 60 miles south of Grand Teton National Park. There are two really great places, a Mexican place with some really well made Americanized Mexican food, and a little Italian bistro, with great sandwiches and a nice quiet place for a late lunch with your honey. We really enjoyed that part of the country, great people, great food and the most fantastic scenery of anyplace I've been.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Thanks for the update, Gnc.
Sorry for your dissappointment in the food.
Perhaps you could contact Alton Brown for his itinerary, or suggestions.
Even though when I travel I go for climate and scenary, I always go for the food as my #1 criteria.​

Back
Top Bottom