2017 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I whipped up a batch of pumpkin-date-oatmeal muffins this morning. I don't have my favourite recipe with me, so I had to wing it.

Ingredients

1-1/2 c AP flour
1/2 c Spelt flour
1/2 c rolled oats
3 eggs
1-15 oz can pumpkin
4 T coconut oil
4 T unsweetened applesauce
1 T barley syrup
1 c brown sugar
3/4 c dates, chopped
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cardamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla

Topped with a spoonful of oatmeal and a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar. Baked at 350 for 28 minutes. This made 9 of the LARGE muffins. If I could remember where I put the camera the other night, I'd take a picture. They are very moist. With cream cheese to which a bit of orange rind and orange juice is added, very tasty.

Mixed the ingredients using the Quick Bread method.

img_1501175_0_e2316b76d17b2b493d944aa01fb43799.jpg

Sweet wheat rolls ready to be filled.

img_1501175_1_cb98b6e99351dbceb2c4da9f5b48af9b.jpg

Stuffed with bread, almondpaste, almond flour and cream.

img_1501175_2_a85c47fbff6844b692962c8da4e7244b.jpg

Time to eat!

My Dad and I baked an apple pie this afternoon.

I bet it was a lot of fun for the both of you.

Tomorrow after I come back from shopping for the month, I am going to tackle a blueberry pie. I looked at a lot of recipes. But one of the best hints I saw was what to do with "frozen" blueberries for a pie. Mix all the ingredients together in a large sauce pan and cook it down 'til the syrup gets thick. Bring to a boil and then turn the heat down. Gently stir frequently. Keep an eye on it.

At first I thought I would increase the corn starch since I knew the frozen part would emit a lot of water. But I like that cooking idea better. It takes the guess work out of the whole process.

No-Kneed bread made with whey (from strained homemade yogurt) in place of water.

img_1502099_0_7ae4e7eb1cbaa0a313a64b17da4d2c96.jpg

img_1502099_1_73010cda638eb416cd78bd1b4110307c.jpg

Last edited:
Mine and my daughter's birthday is coming up very shortly. To celebrate we are going out this Saturday for lunch and I am going to be baking Chocolate Chip Cookies for her. She would rather have that than a cake.

I baked a batch of cornbread muffins. They will be a side for the chili verde we're having for dinner as well as a few breakfasts for us.

Oh my, that looks good, MsM! Looks so tender and I bet it's wonderful toasted. :yum:

(Off topic, but thought I'd mention that I've had the song from your signature line in my head since I saw it earlier today. :LOL: I've always loved it. Just added it to my Pandora list as a song of hope in these, ummm....times...;):))

Last edited:
Oh my, that looks good, MsM! Looks so tender and I bet it's wonderful toasted. :yum:

(Off topic, but thought I'd mention that I've had the song from your signature line in my head since I saw it earlier today. :LOL: I've always loved it. Just added it to my Pandora list as a song of hope in these, ummm....times...;):))

Thank you Cheryl.

I made my Aunt LaMae's coffee cake this morning. I notice that there is only 1/4 of it left. I guess 1 serves 3 people not the 8 that was on the recipe card. My cousin claimed he could smell it 2 hours north of here. I know I posted the recipe on DC, but I can't find it.

Been on a "small cake" kick lately...

Found a blogger who specializes in same... Bought a couple of 6" cake pans and have been having fun with cakes..

Note: We love desserts and get frustrated with 'normal' size cakes, pies, etc.. Desserts for two works great for us...

A few weeks back, this adorable little girl came to our door. She was fundraising for her Soft Ball team and would we like to buy some cookie dough, HUH? :huh:
I'd never heard of this before, her older teenaged sister was with her and explained that it's pre-portioned frozen dough that you just toss in the oven frozen and bake. HMMM
She showed me the list of varieties available and I spied Snickerdoodles, I've never had a Snickerdoodle before, ok, I'm in.
Yesterday evening, after supper, our door bell rang... "who's THAT?!" DH yells from the den...
Our Cookies!
001.JPG
I had just turned the oven off not long before (we had Meatloaf and roasted Potatoes btw) so I turned it right back on.
002.JPG
I like the convenience of the take-n-bake from frozen concept, but BOY HOWDY! Those were really sweet.
DH kept asking me, "what's this called again?" He had never had a Snickerdoodle either.
I think I might be baking these all off and taking them next door, there's ALOT ;)

Buttermilk Skillet Cake with Pecan Praline Topping. By Joy the Baker.

Oh my, this was delicious! And super-easy too.

1546956_buttermilk_cake.jpg

baking-days-march-2017-edition-1047220

I am working on a combo chocolate cake, flan dessert. It's in the new Tex-Mex cookbook Craig got a few weeks ago. It's made in a bundt pan and is one of those migrating ingredients cakes, where a top layer ends up on the bottom. I have a can of sweetened condensed milk in a saucepan boiling to turn it into dulce de leche, plus there's another can of SC milk in the flan part as well.

Apple pie today with cranberries and a little test - just too make sure it was OK ;)

DSC_0059.jpg

A few weeks back, this adorable little girl came to our door. She was fundraising for her Soft Ball team and would we like to buy some cookie dough, HUH? :huh:
I'd never heard of this before, her older teenaged sister was with her and explained that it's pre-portioned frozen dough that you just toss in the oven frozen and bake. HMMM
She showed me the list of varieties available and I spied Snickerdoodles, I've never had a Snickerdoodle before, ok, I'm in.
Yesterday evening, after supper, our door bell rang... "who's THAT?!" DH yells from the den...
Our Cookies!
View attachment 26367
I had just turned the oven off not long before (we had Meatloaf and roasted Potatoes btw) so I turned it right back on.
View attachment 26368
I like the convenience of the take-n-bake from frozen concept, but BOY HOWDY! Those were really sweet.
DH kept asking me, "what's this called again?" He had never had a Snickerdoodle either.
I think I might be baking these all off and taking them next door, there's ALOT ;)

I've ordered frozen cookie dough from the fundraising littles before too, kgirl, to support the cause. :wub: Homemade is always better of course....

OMG...this was the first time you and Mr K have had snickerdoodles?! They shouldn't be overly sweet, more of a spicy, and are awesome! And so easy to make. I need to make up a batch soon, thank you for the reminder! :yum::)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom