2017 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For someone who doesn't bake often, I'm sure on a roll. I made a loaf of rye bread today. Didn't turn out as nice as the country white yesterday, though. One of these days I'll get the hang of it.

I'm thinking that tomorrow I'll do another loaf of banana bread from my Mom's recipe. Better decide soon, too, so I can defrost some of the black walnuts I have spirited away in the freezer.

For someone who doesn't bake often, I'm sure on a roll. I made a loaf of rye bread today. Didn't turn out as nice as the country white yesterday, though. One of these days I'll get the hang of it.

I'm thinking that tomorrow I'll do another loaf of banana bread from my Mom's recipe. Better decide soon, too, so I can defrost some of the black walnuts I have spirited away in the freezer.

Don't you mean "squirreled" away...:rolleyes:

I never defrost my frozen nuts before I use them.

msm, it's more of a case of having them out of the freezer so I remember to use them. If they are still in the freezer when I start mixing the batter, it will be harder to add them to the batter half-way through baking. :ermm:

Well, so far I have all my ingredients laid out. The mixer is off the shelf and on the counter. Slowly, I'm making progress. :LOL: Very slowly!

I baked two gluten-free pumpkin cakes. I have been trying different add-ins. This time it was dates and pecans. I love that combo. The recipe uses coconut and almond flours, maple syrup, a small amount of coconut sugar, and lots of pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice.

Other add-ins have included raisins & walnuts, and dried cranberries with pistacios.

Sounds good, LP. Well, except for the dates.

I baked another loaf of banana nut bread from my Mom's recipe. Used the black walnuts this time. It smelled good, but we didn't cut into it yet. I like to let a loaf of fruit bread cure overnight. To do that, I have to double-wrap it and put it somewhere that Himself won't figure out. I just have to remember where I put it the next day! :LOL:

Tell you what, CG, you bake me a loaf with those black walnuts and I will send you a cake with no dates!

I have never tasted a black walnut. Are they much different from regular ones?

I baked the lasagna yesterday and decided since the oven was already on to find a use for the leftover ricotta. I luckily picked Classic Ricotta Pound Cake » Call Me PMc . This is one of the best pound cakes I've ever made! It was so moist and rich tasting. I used almond extract as we were having a glass of amaretto with it for dessert.

Baking fail! I sprayed the pan but the honey-orange cake stuck anyway! Aaaaahhhhhhh! I'm supposed to serve this to our master gardener interns (students) tomorrow morning ?

On the bright side, it tastes *delicious*! So I'm going to plan B: parfait with vanilla yogurt, honey and fruit in a large glass footed bowl. On a plate surrounded by more fruit. Save! ? 0222171727a_HDR.jpg

Oh no, GG! Sorry it stuck - but that is a great idea to parfait it up in a pretty bowl. As far as anyone needs to know, you meant to do it that way! :D :yum:

Oh no, GG! Sorry it stuck - but that is a great idea to parfait it up in a pretty bowl. As far as anyone needs to know, you meant to do it that way! [emoji3] :yum:
Thanks, Cheryl. Except that I told the extension agent and the other person who volunteered for hospitality about it ? But it's fine. As long as we have tasty food for the interns, that's the important thing.

i just read this entire thread because this is my topic!! I mean, haven't done much in awhile, but I finally got to baking that Perian Almond Cake this evening. Pics to come soon. It's pretty darn sweet for my supposed-to-be sugar-free diet, but once in awhile, I mean... :P
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f161/persian-almond-cake-yummy-95530.html

I found a recipe from Betty Crocker that I changed. So tomorrow I will be making a spinach and feta cheese quiche. Instead of using Bisquick I will be creating a crust with the pyhllo dough. I changed the recipe so much, I don't think even Betty would recognize it as hers now. And for dessert I think I will make a fruit bowl of citrus fruits. We very rarely eat dessert, but tomorrow is a special day. Almost a holy day for New Englanders.

I change recipes all the time! :) Oh! So this sound amazing, but any chance there's like gluten free dough (ahh, i mean pre-made or something, or a recipe for homemade) AND a dairy free alternative for the cheese?? I know, i know! What am I even making anymore!? But i just miss that taste so much!!! :P

Down South, we use pecans. As a teenager, I could walk around our neighborhood in autumn, and pick pecans up for free. The neighbors didn't mind, since pecan trees were everywhere.

Here in Dallas, they are not as common, and people here frown upon folks picking up pecans from their yards, even if they aren't going to use them.

CD
This was so interesting! I didn't know you could pick up pecans or that they were just around your neighborhood like that!! This is quite embarrassing, and I guess I never thought about it, but I didn't realize they came from trees. I mean, that's just so cool to read! I'm kinda from the city/subburbs. Even though I visit relatives in more of a country area, I had never heard of a pecan tree. so cool! :D

I baked two gluten-free pumpkin cakes. I have been trying different add-ins. This time it was dates and pecans. I love that combo. The recipe uses coconut and almond flours, maple syrup, a small amount of coconut sugar, and lots of pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice.

Other add-ins have included raisins & walnuts, and dried cranberries with pistacios.

recipe please! :)
yeah, I actually believe I still have some canned pumpkin (or maybe i baked it into something else). Well, hubby doesn't care for it, I think it's a great veggie for healthy baking! I mean, it just has to be done right. No storebought pie is gonna cut it! :P

I baked the lasagna yesterday and decided since the oven was already on to find a use for the leftover ricotta. I luckily picked Classic Ricotta Pound Cake » Call Me PMc . This is one of the best pound cakes I've ever made! It was so moist and rich tasting. I used almond extract as we were having a glass of amaretto with it for dessert.
Oh man! I miss lasagna too!!! The cake sounds good too! I was starting to experiment with ricotta too for baking before I went on this diet. Yeah, that and yogurt really up the moist factor. Glad it was good for ya!

*really wish there was a like button here. then again, I'd probably break it from overuse. :LOL:

Tell you what, CG, you bake me a loaf with those black walnuts and I will send you a cake with no dates!...
LP, I don't think that's gonna work. I'm not gluten/dairy free, so the banana bread is chock full of flours and butter and eggs and...oh, my, no wonder it's so good. :yum:

Meanwhile, I tried gluten-free bakery. Once. God bless all of you who are strong enough to go without wheat flour...

Going home in a minute (I'm in the library - my laptop won't talk to me at home) to make bread for me, flapjacks* for the stables staff and a cake for a lady at the stables who has given me a horse rug that doesn't fit her mare and flatly refuses to let me pay for it. I get my own back in these circumstances buy forcing regular donations of home-made cake on anyone who is kind to me or to the Wonder Horse. ;-D

* Over here flapjacks are sticky, oaty, syrupy traybake fingers. I understand that a flapjack on your side of the pond is something different.

This baking bread thing is becoming a regular activity. The more I do it, the less time it takes. Doesn't mean I'm turning them out quickly, however. My "fast speed" is still slower than most of you. I've always been that way.

Anyway, I made loaf of wheat bread today. The food for the yeast was a bit of honey, so I used some of the honey that GotGarlic gave me when we met up with her and Mr.Garlic. It is soooo good. :yum: The bread turned out good, too.

So yesterday I made pirogies with left over pasta sauce and today I am making semla. I take picture tonight when I am done.

Baking fail! I sprayed the pan but the honey-orange cake stuck anyway! Aaaaahhhhhhh! I'm supposed to serve this to our master gardener interns (students) tomorrow morning ?

On the bright side, it tastes *delicious*! So I'm going to plan B: parfait with vanilla yogurt, honey and fruit in a large glass footed bowl. On a plate surrounded by more fruit. Save! ?View attachment 26250
Just to follow up - the students loved it and DH has been eating the leftovers for dessert. This recipe makes a lot, so I baked the extra batter in a loaf pan and froze that. 0223171024a_HDR.jpg

I whipped up a batch of pumpkin-date-oatmeal muffins this morning. I don't have my favourite recipe with me, so I had to wing it.

Ingredients

1-1/2 c AP flour
1/2 c Spelt flour
1/2 c rolled oats
3 eggs
1-15 oz can pumpkin
4 T coconut oil
4 T unsweetened applesauce
1 T barley syrup
1 c brown sugar
3/4 c dates, chopped
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cardamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla

Topped with a spoonful of oatmeal and a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar. Baked at 350 for 28 minutes. This made 9 of the LARGE muffins. If I could remember where I put the camera the other night, I'd take a picture. They are very moist. With cream cheese to which a bit of orange rind and orange juice is added, very tasty.

Back
Top Bottom