2019 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They look great!! Can you please post the recipe.
Why, Ms Mofet, I’d be happy to direct you to the recipe! Please note that it was my idea to stuff them with cheese. If you’d like to do the same, it’s not difficult. Choose a harder cheese, like cheddar, the sharper the better. Cut the cheese into small cubes and put them in the freezer for a half hour or so, you don’t want them to freeze, just get cold enough to retard the melting.

Pretzel bites

I’m very pleased with my pretzel bites! This is the second batch. I didn’t bake the first batch long enough, so they’re a little pale and just a bit doughy, but still delicious.

View attachment 33632

Those look fabulous, Joel. :ohmy:

So do all the previous pics! I looked through the past couple of pages...so many of you are baking such wonderful looking and sounding goodies. :yum:

SO is baking whoopie pies with our next door neighbor 10 YO.

I think I've heard of them before, but had to look it up to refresh my memory. :) They sound good, and that's awesome of your SO to include the little neighbor kid. :chef:

Why, Ms Mofet, I’d be happy to direct you to the recipe! Please note that it was my idea to stuff them with cheese. If you’d like to do the same, it’s not difficult. Choose a harder cheese, like cheddar, the sharper the better. Cut the cheese into small cubes and put them in the freezer for a half hour or so, you don’t want them to freeze, just get cold enough to retard the melting.

Pretzel bites
Thank you. BTW Yours look better.

National Grid is probably happy with me today. I baked 6 jumbo lemon poppyseed muffins for Himself (I'm not a big fan, so I'll probably have only one), a 2 1/2 dozen cake mix cookies (dark chocolate with dried cherries and black walnuts), and a from-scratch loaf of cracked wheat bread.
IMG_20190217_175746878.jpgIMG_20190217_205037514.jpgIMG_20190217_205217480.jpg

I haven't made packaged brownies in awhile. I bought a Milk Chocolate brownie mix. I baked it for the minimum 49 minutes (49-51 min at 325F, 8"x 8" pan). They came out a bit too chewy gooey. The toothpick poked in came out clear.

Increase the baking time? Maybe hold off a little on the vegetable oil? I don't mind if they turn out more cake like. These came out a bit too chewy at the center, even after cooling down. The two eggs I used were extra large.

Last edited:
I have never been a fan of boxed brownies, or anything for that matter - there is some taste in almost all of them that I taste as soon as I bite into them. I used to think that it was artificial vanilla, until all the tests came out about vanillin being even better than vanilla extract, in some desserts. So it must be another flavoring, or other chemical. Anyone else notice this in boxed things?

The only boxed ones I didn't notice this in were some Ghirardelli brownies a friend made, and was 'apologizing" for the brownies, but he wanted me to try them, because they were the best ones he had found, and they were delicious, with none of that flavor! I checked the ingredient list - not nearly as much in them as in most store-bought, but still some things we wouldn't even be able to (or want to) buy!

Last edited:
I'm not there yet (baking brownies from scratch). I prefer less overly chewy brownies, tho they taste sooooo good.
Some prefer extra fudge chewy brownies. That's fine too.

I'll increase the baking time which hopefully makes them turn out not as chewy at the center.

Last edited:
Another day, another loaf of bread. :yum: We are less than halfway through the wheat bread I baked Sunday, but this was my best chance for making a loaf of country white bread for grilled cheese sandwiches. This bread is great for grilled cheese or BLT sammies.

I have never been a fan of boxed brownies, or anything for that matter - there is some taste in almost all of them that I taste as soon as I bite into them. I used to think that it was artificial vanilla, until all the tests came out about vanillin being even better than vanilla extract, in some desserts. So it must be another flavoring, or other chemical. Anyone else notice this in boxed things?

The only boxed ones I didn't notice this in were some Ghirardelli brownies a friend made, and was 'apologizing" for the brownies, but he wanted me to try them, because they were the best ones he had found, and they were delicious, with none of that flavor! I checked the ingredient list - not nearly as much in them as in most store-bought, but still some things we wouldn't even be able to (or want to) buy!

raised hand emoji.png

MEEE!!

Dave, I stopped using boxed mixes awhiles back because of that funny-odd-can't explain it-flavor. I've found that scratch-made tastes better and is just as easy-takes the same amount of time-cost about the same as the dump&bake mixes.

004.jpg

002.jpg

006.jpg

Although, I must say that not so long ago, I saw this on sale at Wally-World for 98¢, so I figured, what the heck, let's give it a whirl.
Meh, not so much. I passed them off on Miss Neighbor-Across-The-Street :D

Today I baked something I hadn't baked in a long time - some Sprouted WW bread. The original recipe is in an old book (I think 1973?), and I've been making it since I was in a co-op in '76 or '77. I happened to have a small amount of spelt berries in a jar, which is what made me think to sprout them - too little to do anything else with! The sprouted wheat berries give the bread a unique flavor - only 1/4 c wheat berries to 6 1/2 c ww flour.

Sprouted wheat by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Poolish, made with WW flour, and sprouts added. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Dough, ready to rise. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Risen loaves. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Baked loaves - sprouted wheat bread. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Today I baked something I hadn't baked in a long time - some Sprouted WW bread. The original recipe is in an old book (I think 1973?), and I've been making it since I was in a co-op in '76 or '77. I happened to have a small amount of spelt berries in a jar, which is what made me think to sprout them - too little to do anything else with! The sprouted wheat berries give the bread a unique flavor - only 1/4 c wheat berries to 6 1/2 c ww flour.

Sprouted wheat by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Poolish, made with WW flour, and sprouts added. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Dough, ready to rise. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Risen loaves. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Baked loaves - sprouted wheat bread. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Looks good.
Would you be ables to post the recipe?

Looks good.
Would you be ables to post the recipe?
Here's the recipe. The original recipe didn't have buttermilk, but I happened to have some, so I used it - that or yogurt seems to add flavor to these breads. And the spelt I used just to use up about 1/4 c I had left in a jar - the thing that made me think of this recipe!

Sprouted Wheat Bread

6 1/2 c ww flour
1/4 c wheat berries (spelt this time)
sprouted
1 c buttermilk
1 1/2 c water
1 tb instant yeast
1/4 c honey
1/4 c brewers yeast
3 tb oil
1 tb salt

Sprout the berries 2 or 3 days in advance.
Combine in the mixer bowl 3 cups of the flour, and the liquids, yeast, brewers yeast, honey, and oil. Whisk together well. Cover, and let rise for 1 1/2-2 hrs. at room temp., until doubled. Add the salt, followed by the remaining 3 cups of flour. Let rest for 10 min or so, to absorb the water, then knead on level 2 for 10 min., adding the remaining flour if necessary, aiming for a moist dough, barely sticking to the bowl.

Grease the bowl, or spray the dough, roll it in the bowl, cover, and let rise 90 min., or until doubled. Punch down dough, divide in half, and shape into desired loaves, for
10 x 4 pans, or 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 pans. Cover, and rise until above edges of pans, about 40 min. Preheat oven to 375°.

Bake 20 minutes, then reduce temp to 300°, and bake 30 min. longer, until well browned. Cool on a wire rack.

Here's the recipe. The original recipe didn't have buttermilk, but I happened to have some, so I used it - that or yogurt seems to add flavor to these breads. And the spelt I used just to use up about 1/4 c I had left in a jar - the thing that made me think of this recipe!

Sprouted Wheat Bread

You might want to post your recipes in the recipe forums, so they don't get lost in dinner and baking threads, etc. Then you can post the URL of the recipe in answer to requests.

Good idea, GG. I've done that a number of times, but probably when asked for the recipes I've posted them on the original thread. I'll try to think about this, from now on.

Using a recipe that Just Cooking had suggested a few weeks ago, I baked a blueberry cobbler. Topped our servings with a bit of vanilla bean ice cream. There is enough left for another serving each tomorrow.

Himself's comment was "well that turned out good". Thanks for the recipe link, Ross!IMG_20190227_222958719.jpg

Using a recipe that Just Cooking had suggested a few weeks ago, I baked a blueberry cobbler. Topped our servings with a bit of vanilla bean ice cream. There is enough left for another serving each tomorrow.

Himself's comment was "well that turned out good". Thanks for the recipe link, Ross!View attachment 33818

Happy that you and Himself enjoyed it..
Christina Lane is a jewel in the small batch dessert arena.. :)

Ross

Back
Top Bottom