2024 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I need to brag on my middle niece Laura. She has a pretty stressful job so, as a hobby, she has begun to make and decorate cakes. Laura has always been artistic and her cakes are becoming works of art. She uses all kinds of things in her cakes: Modeling chocolate, fondant, chocolate-covered spaghetti, molded cake pops, etc. On this cake, everything is technically edible except for the fishing line. The smaller cake is a smash cake for the one-year old. Laura makes her cakes for friends and family. Like I said above, her job is stressful and she is busy, but finds cakes personally therapeutic. But she has gotten really good! Plus, this was so cute, I had to share!

View attachment 68243View attachment 68241View attachment 68242

Incredibile! She's got talent, well done for her! 👏

Blood orange drizzle loaf cake
20240304_064944.jpg

20240304_064928.jpg

I finally got around to trying to make some no knead bread. I used about 75% whole wheat and 25% unbleached white flour. It worked fairly well. I don't know if I will bother doing it in a Dutch oven again. I had been afraid that it would damage the porcelain coating on my cast iron Dutch oven. It did damage the lid. Well, it caused cosmetic damage on the lid and on the white inside of the pot part. I hope it isn't worse than cosmetic. The bread is not beautiful, but it tastes pretty good. I had been hoping for a bit better tasting than I got. Nothing wrong with it, just not as good as I had hoped for fresh baked bread.
No knead, 75% whole grain bread.jpg

I baked a loaf or rye bread today, that I started yesterday with a sponge made with half barley flour and half rye, soaked about 18 hours. It was made of 2/3 c barley and about 2 c rye, so it was relatively low in whole wheat, which I think ended up only around 1 2/3 c. I added a little wheat gluten, but it fell a little when baking, and the bread will be a little dense, but it will still be delicious, I'm sure.
A loaf of rye bread, with some barley flour added to the overnight sponge. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

For some time, SO has been using a boxed mix to make lemon poppy seed muffins. I offered several times to provide her with a recipe to make them without poppy seeds but she demurred. Well, we haven't been able to find that mix for a while so SO relented. I found a recipe for lemon sour cream muffins online and she made it. It as just OK. I did some research and developed a recipe based on several I found online.

We made that recipe today. It came out pretty good. We split one for a taste test and we liked it. Texture was excellent. We agreed a slightly stronger lemon flavor was desired. We made 9 big muffins. Will probably downsize to 10 muffins.

Forgot to mention she sprinkled decorating sugar crystals on top.

Photo - 1.jpeg

Last edited:
For some time, SO has been using a boxed mix to make lemon poppy seed muffins. I offered several times to provide her with a recipe to make them without poppy seeds but she demurred. Well, we haven't been able to find that mix for a while so SO relented. I found a recipe for lemon sour cream muffins online and she made it. It as just OK. I did some research and developed a recipe based on several I found online.

We made that recipe today. It came out pretty good. We split one for a taste test and we liked it. Texture was excellent. We agreed a slightly stronger lemon flavor was desired. We made 9 big muffins. Will probably downsize to 10 muffins.

View attachment 68571
Do you use lemon zest in these? I love the flavor it adds to baked goods.

View attachment 68571
They look and sound wonderful. Have posted the revised recipe?

I baked a loaf of banana bread today, since I had 4 very ripe bananas. I haven't cut it yet, but oh, that aroma! I'm sure I won't be disappointed.
2 lb loaf of banana bread, using 4 ripe bananas. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here's the recipe I used, with the only changes I made being using half WW flour, and using a cup of walnuts, instead of 3/4 c, and toasted them lightly - something I almost always do, for nuts when baking.

Last edited:
I baked a loaf of banana bread today, since I had 4 very ripe bananas. I haven't cut it yet, but oh, that aroma! I'm sure I won't be disappointed.
2 lb loaf of banana bread, using 4 ripe bananas. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here's the recipe I used, with the only changes I made being using half WW flour, and using a cup of walnuts, instead of 3/4 c, and toasted them lightly - something I almost always do, for nuts when baking.
I like how you have so many bananas in the recipe and then you increase the nuts. In a wholesome way, if you can increase the volume of the whole food (bananas, nuts), you've got such a nutritional power house in the loaf.
I was looking for a zucchini recipe for a friend of mine and I noticed that these loaves of bread only had a cup of shredded zucchini. 1 cup, not much. The recipe I use is more like 3 cups of zucchini (big loaf!) and most of the water in in the zucchini is part of what hydrates the flour. But when I'm done making it, it's not bread with the occasional green fleck. It's a big loaf but lots of zucchini, you can't miss the zucchini.
I bet the banana bread was delicious besides smelling wonderful!

I baked two loaves of rye bread, starting with a generous cup of mashed potatoes, making a sponge with those, 2½ c water and 2½ c rye flour, about 2 tb caraway seeds, plus 2 tsp instant yeast. A few hours later I added about 1/4 c wheat gluten, 2 oz oil, 3 oz blackstrap molasses, 1 tb salt, and after mixing that in, 3 c WW flour. After letting it sit 15 min, to absorb the moisture, I put the bowl on the mixer, with the dough hook, and added about 1½ c KA unbleached flour, adding just enough to leave it sticky, and almost pulling off the bowl - after 6 minutes I spray some baker's spray into the bowl, to release it, then stopped. I let it rise 3 times for 15 minutes, folding the dough after each time, then rose it about 75 min (60 min was not quite enough). Then divided it into half, and folded the bubbles out, and put the loaves in the 2 lb pans. Rose it 40 min, then started oven on 300° for 5 min, then baked 45 min, until internal temp was 210°. After cooling, one will be frozen.
Potato rye bread, almost 2 lb loaves. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom