2024 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very healthy banana muffins ( no fat, 1 tablespoon sugar for all of them)
20240126_161310.jpg

I made a banana bread today, since I had 4 very ripe bananas I had to use soon! I based it on one I made a while back, from Milk Street, with brown butter and cardamom, but I added a little cinnamon, and some whole grain flours for half of it, plus I added a cup of toasted walnuts. Not quite as good as the "Death By Chocolate" banana bread, but definitely good.
My brown butter banana bread, in a 9"x5" pan, in a parchment sling, just after being removed from the oven. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The brown butter banana bread, with cardamom and a small amount of cinnamon, cooling on a wire rack. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

It seems to be banana bread season. DH and I made banana nut muffins after supper. It's the same recipe as I used for banana nut bread since about 50 years ago. I have always made it with whole wheat flour. I figured out to make muffins with the same recipe, about 10 or 15 years ago. They bake much quicker and you don't have cut the loaf and get crumbs everywhere. They made a great dessert and snacks today.

Think I've found (for me) the perfect mix of flours in this particular recipe for French Bread in my machine. One 'n a half pound loaf calls or 3.5 cups of flour. I use 2 cups AP and 1.5 cups bread flour. The crumb is perfect! Just the right amount of chew, cut ability. Shaped into two small loaves for the toaster oven. Sadly, by the time I got to the forum this morning, even the last two remnants of one of them disappeared on the way to the desk.
French Bread 1.5# 24.01.27.jpg

I make cheesy onion muffins.

Preheat oven to 350F. Take a very large white onion; peel it and coarsely dice it, and sauté it in olive oil until translucent. Place it on paper towels to soak up excess grease.

1 1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
pinch cayenne powder

Whisk these together. Add:

3 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Mix thoroughly. Add the onions, mix thoroughly again.

1 cup milk
1 egg at room temperature
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) melted butter

Whisk these together. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients; mix just until all the flour is incorporated. Batter will be sticky. Spray a standard size 12-count muffin pan (I use butter flavored spray) and, using an ice cream scoop, place the batter into muffin pans. You should get 12 out of this recipe. Bake for 25 minutes; test with toothpick. Allow to cool for about half an hour; they should be just slightly warm when you eat them. Awesome with creamy soups.

I modified this from a (cheese muffin) recipe I got from a youtube site, the name of which eludes me. She openly admitted that she modified hers from The Pioneer Woman. So, it isn't like I completely invented it.

Last edited:
I ran out of rye flour, so a couple of days ago I ground up some more, to fill the container (takes a little less than 5 lbs), and I set aside 2 c to start some Old Milwaukee rye with. Today, I finished the bread. I opened a pound bag of yeast I had in the freezer just over a year, when I bought 2 lbs at BJ's, and put one in the freezer, and the one I'm using I keep in a jar, in the fridge. The last little bit was definitely slowing down, the last several batches, though still active, and this was noticeably faster, as always.
A recipe of Old Milwaukee Rye bread, 2 loaves, just over 2 lbs each. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Do you mind sharing your recipe for kladdkaka? It sounds good.
Ack! I just found this waiting or me to hit "post". D'oh! :doh:

This is the recipe I used, should be fine using google translate.
The ingredients are :
  • 150 grams butter, + extra for the baking tin
  • 3 eggs
  • 275 gram sugar
  • 105 gram flour +extra for the tin
  • 50 gram cocoapowder
  • 1/2 tbsp vanilla sugar
  • A big pinch of salt
  • powdered sugar
It has no baking powder because it's usually a flat cake, but if you prefer you can use it as normal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom