2024 Edition - What are you baking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mini Chocolate sour cream pound cakes

mini_pound_cakes_021024_1_IMG_2380.jpg

mini_pound_cakes_021024_2_IMG_2383.jpg

Today is National Cream Cheese Brownie Day! I normally don't make things like that, unless I'm taking it somewhere - otherwise, I eat them all in a short amount of time! But I decided to make some for myself, with my BD coming up, plus, I had two 8 oz full fat cream cheese left from something I didn't make to go somewhere, because someone got sick. Plus, I had (as usual) 4 ultra ripe bananas, so I made up a recipe, as I went along. I've made enough brownies, through the years, that I got the dry goods, and other proportions right, adding only 6 oz of dark brown sugar - the bananas was most of the sweetness. Here's the recipe I made up, as I went along. Haven't tasted them yet, but oooooohhh they smell good baking!

6 oz unsweetened chocolate, and 2 oz butter, melted together (most fat in this is in the cream cheese)
4 super ripe bananas
6 oz dark brown sugar
16 oz full fat cream cheese, softened
4 eggs, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp sal
I first puréed the bananas in the food processor, then added the sugar, and after that liquefied, added the cream cheese, and mixed that in, followed by the eggs, one by one, and the vanilla and salt. After scraping the FP a couple times, and mixing it all in, I set that aside, while getting everything else ready.

I lined a 9x13 pan with some NS foil, then got the dry ingredients together.
Sift together:
3/4 c WW flour
1/2 c whole rye flour
3 tb Dutch cocoa

I then whisked the warm chocolate and butter together, then gradually added the banana/cream cheese mix in. Then I folded the dry ingredients in, along with about 1¼ c chopped walnuts. I spread it into the pan, then baked in a 300° convection oven (would have done 350° in my regular oven) for 40 minutes - toothpick came out clean - then took out to cool on a rack. I'll stick it on my back porch - not quite as cold as refrigerator, but about 45°, which should cool it enough to cut.
Cream cheese added to the banana purée, before mixing with the sugar and eggs. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Chocolate, melted with the small amount of butter, before mixing with the purée. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The whole grain flours, sifted with a little Dutch cocoa, before folding in, with the walnuts. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Cream cheese brownies, ready to go into the oven. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Cream cheese brownies, just out of the oven. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Update:
I cut the brownies today, and the bananas were definitely more noticeable in the flavor than cream cheese, but this didn't surprise me - I've made a number of different cream cheese brownie recipes, but the chocolate would cover the cheese flavor, unless the chocolate amount was fairly low, which I don't usually do in brownies (or anything!). I made this up just to use that cheese and those bananas.

I froze 20 of them - 4 packs in foil - and kept a dozen out. I might have some help eating a few.
Cut banana cream cheese brownies, showing the edge of one, like fudge. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last edited:
Today is National Cream Cheese Brownie Day! I normally don't make things like that, unless I'm taking it somewhere - otherwise, I eat them all in a short amount of time! But I decided to make some for myself, with my BD coming up, plus, I had two 8 oz full fat cream cheese left from something I didn't make to go somewhere, because someone got sick. Plus, I had (as usual) 4 ultra ripe bananas, so I made up a recipe, as I went along. I've made enough brownies, through the years, that I got the dry goods, and other proportions right, adding only 6 oz of dark brown sugar - the bananas was most of the sweetness. Here's the recipe I made up, as I went along. Haven't tasted them yet, but oooooohhh they smell good baking!

6 oz unsweetened chocolate, and 2 oz butter, melted together (most fat in this is in the cream cheese)
4 super ripe bananas
6 oz dark brown sugar
16 oz full fat cream cheese, softened
4 eggs, room temperature
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp sal
I first puréed the bananas in the food processor, then added the sugar, and after that liquefied, added the cream cheese, and mixed that in, followed by the eggs, one by one, and the vanilla and salt. After scraping the FP a couple times, and mixing it all in, I set that aside, while getting everything else ready.

I lined a 9x13 pan with some NS foil, then got the dry ingredients together.
Sift together:
3/4 c WW flour
1/2 c whole rye flour
3 tb Dutch cocoa

I then whisked the warm chocolate and butter together, then gradually added the banana/cream cheese mix in. Then I folded the dry ingredients in, along with about 1¼ c chopped walnuts. I spread it into the pan, then baked in a 300° convection oven (would have done 350° in my regular oven) for 40 minutes - toothpick came out clean - then took out to cool on a rack. I'll stick it on my back porch - not quite as cold as refrigerator, but about 45°, which should cool it enough to cut.
Cream cheese added to the banana purée, before mixing with the sugar and eggs. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Chocolate, melted with the small amount of butter, before mixing with the purée. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The whole grain flours, sifted with a little Dutch cocoa, before folding in, with the walnuts. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Cream cheese brownies, ready to go into the oven. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Cream cheese brownies, just out of the oven. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Update:
I cut the brownies today, and the bananas were definitely more noticeable in the flavor than cream cheese, but this didn't surprise me - I've made a number of different cream cheese brownie recipes, but the chocolate would cover the cheese flavor, unless the chocolate amount was fairly low, which I don't usually do in brownies (or anything!). I made this up just to use that cheese and those bananas.

I froze 20 of them - 4 packs in foil - and kept a dozen out. I might have some help eating a few.
Cut banana cream cheese brownies, showing the edge of one, like fudge. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
Looks and sounds fabulous! It would be great if you posted this by itself in the Baking section.

Yesterday I made chili, so I also baked two 10-inch cast iron skillet cornbreads, one with jalopy peppers for me, and one without the peppers for my neighbor who lent me the corn meal because I was out. She can't handle the heat.

Did I post this already, stop me if I did ...
IMG_3669.JPG
IMG_3670.JPG

Took a dozen of these Devil's Food Cupcakes filled with Raspberry Preserves and a Cream Cheese Frosting (sshhhh 🤫 don't tell DH, he claims to hate that, but ...) to Bingo to share.
(I didn't win, but I always take something for their "Intermission" when they sell goodies and the monies go to that community that is next to ours).

Weird chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting for tomorrows dinner. The cupcakes have ricotta cheese and the frosting has fresh avocado for the fat.
beth, was this a Cleo Coyle recipe? I've made her ricotta cupcakes but didn't frost them. Instead, leaving them plain let me call them muffins and made them just fine for breakfast. :whistling

I need to brag on my middle niece Laura. She has a pretty stressful job so, as a hobby, she has begun to make and decorate cakes. Laura has always been artistic and her cakes are becoming works of art. She uses all kinds of things in her cakes: Modeling chocolate, fondant, chocolate-covered spaghetti, molded cake pops, etc. On this cake, everything is technically edible except for the fishing line. The smaller cake is a smash cake for the one-year old. Laura makes her cakes for friends and family. Like I said above, her job is stressful and she is busy, but finds cakes personally therapeutic. But she has gotten really good! Plus, this was so cute, I had to share!

cake3.jpg
cake1.jpg
cake2.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom