2021 Thanksgiving Plans (U.S.A. - 11/25/2021)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shoot. I never had lunch. Came home from dentist and started prepping. No wonder my stomach is talking to me. No clue what’s for dinner.

LOL, only reason I had lunch, I was with Mom and Dad...otherwise may not have eaten at all.

Gotta see if we have the ingredients for my Mom's Sea Breeze salad. I need to introduce this to my DIL. and her family. It's sooooo good.:yum:

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I may not be able to brine my turkey. There's no room in the fridge for a container, so I was going to put the container outside. But I think it will be too cold outside, and I don't want the turkey to refreeze (will salt water freeze?). I will finish prepping today. As soon as I can get the energy. LOL Have a great day.

We will be having dinner with D&SIL, 2 grandsons and 2 great grandsons.

We haven't completed the menu yet but, we will all contribute something.

Ross

It turns out that all I am responsible for is the dinner destroying relish plate.

Every year we seem to eat too many goodies before the actual turkey dinner that we are too full to do the dinner justice.

Its long been a Thanksgiving tradition. :ermm: We justify this with the thought that leftovers are the best part of the dinner, anyway.

So we shopped yesterday for an assortment of good cheeses, salami, olives/pickled goodies and crackers.

We will be ready to destroy appetites for the actual dinner.

Ross

Last edited:
I may not be able to brine my turkey. There's no room in the fridge for a container, so I was going to put the container outside. But I think it will be too cold outside, and I don't want the turkey to refreeze (will salt water freeze?). I will finish prepping today. As soon as I can get the energy. LOL Have a great day.

Make a flavorful broth by simmering the neck, extra turkey legs, if you can get them, and giblets in turkey, or chicken broth. Season with garlic, sage, thyme, and onion. Let cool for twenty minutes. Rub a compound butter of salted butter, paprika, and rosemary between the skin and flesh. Inject the broth all over into the turkey, legs, thighs, wings, and breast. Rub the cavity with S &P.
Stuff the cavity with aromatics, like quartered citrus fruits, peel on, garlic heads, sprigs of thyme. Give the bird a rest for 30 minutes to let the outside skin dry. Press a foil, shiny side out, over just the breast. This will prevent overcooking the breast meat. Place turkey on a rack. over a shallow roasting pan that's half filled with water, and root veggies of choice. Place into preheated 375' F. until temp, as measured by digital thermometer reads 150' F. Remove foil. Increase oven temp to 450. Roast to 157' F. Remove and let rest. You can transfer the rack to a platter, and use the drippings to make gravy. Let turkey rest for 30 minutes before carving. Guaranteed moist, and tender, well flavored, with crispy skin.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Can you share the recipe?

LOL, if I can find it - no problem!

No it shouldn't freeze, doubt it would ever get that cold near you but... the turkey itself might get too cold to absorb the liquids. Garage? with a blanket warped around it?

Stand corrected, salt water can freeze at just 28.4 F. but still as above, garage?

No garage. Car with a blanket or 2? It’s supposed to go down to around 30F tonight but the weather is never right. It may get colder.

Sounds good msm. Your fridge is generally around 40 F, so you might be OK with Car and blanket.

Actually do you have a battery warmer blanket? Or a heated wire for pipes? Those would work. Just be sure to arrange materials so that you don't wake up with a "hot cake and boiled turkey" LOL

Sounds good msm. Your fridge is generally around 40 F, so you might be OK with Car and blanket.

Actually do you have a battery warmer blanket? Or a heated wire for pipes? Those would work. Just be sure to arrange materials so that you don't wake up with a "hot cake and boiled turkey" LOL

My fridge is set to 36F.

LOL, don't know how the word 'cake' got in there, was supposed to be 'car'.

That's a pretty cold setting for me, but still above 32.

Also one has to be careful on just how full/packed your fridge gets. My SIL kept calling the company to change the faulty fridge when in actual fact it was so jammed packed - no air circulation, things at the back were always frozen.

Baked my Strawberry-Rhubarb pie, chopped veggies for the Roasted Root Veggie dish, made fresh salad dressings, started getting the table ready and the serving dishes set out. Still need to chop veggies for dressing. Before you know it, it will be time to start working on TONIGHT's meal.

I decided not to brine the turkey. I’m beat. Got everything made for reheating tomorrow or prepped to be done tomorrow. There are a couple things I like to make on the day. I will make the pumpkin pies later hopefully and the sautéed mushrooms.

I've finally worked out the dinner menu! Turkey, not brined, but cheesecloth soaked in butter and draped over turkey, stuffing is cooling on the back portal, canned cranberry sauce, green beans with bits of onion and ham, pumpkin pie with real whipped cream, pie is made, whipped cream is not, gravy made today, green chile, cheddar cheese, mashed potato casserole is put together and will be baked tomorrow.

It will be just Dh and me. We didn't invite anyone. Covid cases have spiked in the state and county. Will make a plate for our next door neighbor.

Pies and cakes are made, daughters are bringing the veggies. Stuffing bread and veggies are prepped and ready to be transformed into stuffing. All that remains is making pilaf, turkey, stuffing and gravy.

Just got this done. Tomorrow DH makes fresh relish and we'll open the dreaded can of wobbly berry jelly.

Berries, orange, ginger and a cinnamon stick - before and after

berries.jpg

berries_2.jpg

6 - 5 - 4 ....

All I need to do is the Apple Crostata, I'll do that in the morning
put the Turkey tenderloin in the hot box for 60 minutes
mash some `taters
slap the Dressing Casserole in the oven for 25 minutes
stir-fry some de-constructed Brussel Sprouts,
bake off those Pillsbury™ Crescent Rolls (12 minutes)
re-heat the gravy and then ...

3 - 2 - 1 !!!

Food comma
or what we call in Hawaii the KANAK ATTACK (kə-nak ə-tak)
The feeling of intense laziness you get from eating too much.
“I ate the whole garlic shrimp plate and got a kanak attack.”

:LOL:

Went to daughters and brined the turkey.

All I have to do TG day is put together the relish tray, take it to D&SIL's and watch them all run around like crazy, getting things done.

It's great being the old guy. ;)

Ross

thanksgiving-9.gif

Well, I got my pumpkin pies done without any mishap. All I have to do are the things I like fresh on the day.

Have a happy, healthy and safe day, everyone!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom