A question on rice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I once got hold of 2 kgs of "Forbidden Rice". Absolutely divine - but I´ve never seen it again.
Anyone else tried it?

Think I posted something about this before.

I bought some a few years ago at Bulk Barn. I used to make a mix of brown & white rice. Thought adding in black would be really neat. Tried it with just white and black first - it all went purple! so funny!

So then I cooked them separately before stirring together and it looked really good. I also made a rather tasty salad with it from a recipe I found.

Haven't had it since I finished that first lot. Think I'll check again to see if the Bulk Barn near here has it. Unlike a lot of franchise stores, Bulk Barns can chose what they carry so not all of them have the same things.

Yes! That's exactly what my mind was tasting.

Could I trade you for a recipe, per chance?

Bucky,

I looked it up, and I made regular risotto, skipped the saffron and cheese, and added a packet of squid ink to the hot stock that I was adding to the rice (a ladle at a time). I used shrimp stock (made from shells) instead of chicken stock. Then I served it with grilled shellfish (Shrimp, scallops, lobster).

1 small onion minced
1 clove garlic, minced
4 tlbs butter
2 tlbs olive oil
1 cup arborio rice
1 cup white wine
3-4 cups seafood stock
1 packet squid ink
2 tlbs butter

Bring stock to bare simmer. Add squid ink
Saute onion in butter and oil til soft, but not brown
Add garlic, saute just till fragrant.
Add rice and stir till well coated.
Add wine, and stir till it's all absorbed
Add stock one ladle at a time, cooking and stirring until it's absorbed before adding the next ladleful.
When rice is al dente, remove from heat and stir in butter.

Lots of folks make risotto now in their instant pot, sous vide, and other methods. Any of those would work just as well. I just still like 'stirring the pot'.

Hmmm...lots of opinions here. Like some others, I think you need to use the proper rice in a given dish, but for stand-alone rice, it is up to you and your preferences. But, I must say, lately, I enjoy farro more, as that side dish!

I use Basmati in dishes that i need a drier texture, those where Jasmine will turn to mush. I love the fragrance of Jasmine cooking!! I rarely use or even have any "long grain" in the house. I keep Basmati, Jasmine and Cal Rose at all times. I don't use much brown rice, as I don't care for the extra fats (Especially not good for doggies! Read your dog food labels!)

A friend of mine was born & raised in Viet Nam says in his country, most people only buy the "fresh" rice. They don't care for the aged rice?

Last edited:
Most of us here who are talking about rice are people who can eat it. But what if you have a diabetic who will be eating with you ? Rice and orange juice are two of the first things they take them off when they are discovered to be diabetic.

Recently I was watching AgDay (the national farm report each morning) and they reported on a new variety of white rice known as "Parish Rice" from Acadia Parish LA. It has a lower glycemic impact/load and is much higher in protein. PLUS it is not a GMO.

Just wanted to mention this. You can buy it thru their website:

https://parishrice.com/

Bucky,

I looked it up, and I made regular risotto, skipped the saffron and cheese, and added a packet of squid ink to the hot stock that I was adding to the rice (a ladle at a time). I used shrimp stock (made from shells) instead of chicken stock. Then I served it with grilled shellfish (Shrimp, scallops, lobster).

1 small onion minced
1 clove garlic, minced
4 tlbs butter
2 tlbs olive oil
1 cup arborio rice
1 cup white wine
3-4 cups seafood stock
1 packet squid ink
2 tlbs butter

Bring stock to bare simmer. Add squid ink
Saute onion in butter and oil til soft, but not brown
Add garlic, saute just till fragrant.
Add rice and stir till well coated.
Add wine, and stir till it's all absorbed
Add stock one ladle at a time, cooking and stirring until it's absorbed before adding the next ladleful.
When rice is al dente, remove from heat and stir in butter.

Lots of folks make risotto now in their instant pot, sous vide, and other methods. Any of those would work just as well. I just still like 'stirring the pot'.

Thank you. I'm going to have to make this.

Me too. In fact, I only cook brown rice. I haven't cooked any other rice, unless I helped my mum in the kitchen by cooking Minute rice. That would have been a very long time ago and really don't remember if I did.

I really love brown rice too. Sadly, I am in the minority on the love of brown rice in this house. There is an additional benefit that it does not send my blood sugar high.

I really love brown rice too. Sadly, I am in the minority on the love of brown rice in this house. There is an additional benefit that it does not send my blood sugar high.

I find very few recipes call for brown rice. Oriental recipes never call for brown rice that i know of.

Just because the recipe doesn't call for brown rice, doesn't mean you can't use it. Sure it might change the flavour outcome a bit, but not the main part. Rice is usually a "serve with" ingredient.

About the only one recipe I might question changing from white to brown would be rice pudding.:rolleyes: Somehow I think it just won't be the same. :LOL:

dragonlaw, I make a brown basmati rice pudding made with soymilk, then add a 9 grain flakes (like oatmeal but not oatmeal flakes). I have this for breakfast quite often.

Dag Nab It! :doh: Shot down again! :glare:

Nope, not shot down, some us prefer other tastes and textures, that's all.
Sorry it felt that way.

I make rice pudding blitzing some of the rice with a hand blender, then cooking until thick, sweetening with honey. I didn't learn that growing up, it's something new for us, we love it.

bliss, it's OK! I was just kidding!

Actually 2 of my doctors disagree on what I should and should not eat with diverticulosis. Brown rice being one of them.

And actually your version does sound sorta good. Do you blitz cooked? or raw?

bliss, it's OK! I was just kidding!

Actually 2 of my doctors disagree on what I should and should not eat with diverticulosis. Brown rice being one of them.

And actually your version does sound sorta good. Do you blitz cooked? or raw?

Is brown rice a should or should not?

Back
Top Bottom