Any spices to spice up the taste of hard boiled eggs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you ever made tea eggs? They are delicious; though you can't just take a hard boiled egg, and make one, quickly, but you can make a bunch of them, and they keep well. And if you like Chinese food, esp. the type with star anise or 5-spice powder, you will like these. You can make them with just tea bags, dark soy, and some 5-spice powder, as a short-cut, but I always use the individual spices, and my favorite version has some Lapsang Souchong tea in it, for the smoky taste, but I had been making it for decades, before I discovered that addition.

If medium eggs are cheaper (they are sometimes more expensive!), they are good here, since there is more surface are to volume.

Find a saucepan a dozen or so eggs will fit in (plus I put in a tea ball, so I don't have to rinse the tea off! The spices just fall off). Cover the eggs with water by 1/2", and bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes - time not important here, as they cook more. Remove to a plate, to cool enough to handle. Meanwhile, to the saucepan add:
1/2 c dark soy sauce
6 tea bags or 2 tb loose tea - I use 1 tb Lapsang Souchong here, plus 1 tb English Breakfast, or Assam, in tea ball
2 star anise, or equivalent in pieces
Two 2" cinnamon sticks
8 whole cloves
1/2 tsp whole black peppercorns
1/2 tsp whole fennel seeds
2 tsp sugar

Bring to a boil, and simmer while you take the cooled eggs, and with the back of a spoon lightly crack the surface of the shells, forming a network of cracks, w/o breaking, for the seasoning to seep through. Return the eggs to the spiced water, and cook 1½ hrs, making sure the eggs stay submerged. Cool in liquid, then refrigerate. Serve halved, or quartered, with a little of the liquid drizzled in the yolk.

This took longer to type this in here than it would take to make it! I've never found anyone that didn't like these, unless they don't like the flavor of anise...or eggs.

Just salt for my cold hard boiled eggs.
But I will also use them in a curry or one of the multiple Indonesian dishes with hard boiled eggs (google telor belanda, telor besengkek, telor semoor etc)

Dragon Eggs and Mice.... and yes, dragon eggs take time to think about them first. But the subtle hints of the spice are great. I don't think I've made them since this picture, my grandson's 2nd birthday. (2013!)

20130331_125407.jpg

My DIL and I did not know we were both making eggs, LOL! So we had a few, but none went to waste.
The mice were Radish ears, Chive tails, eyes - hmm peppercorns I think.

Have you tried making Pink Pickled Eggs like you get in bars here in Texas?

I like them. They're great fun at Parties, and last a long time in the fridge.

Boil eggs, add pickle brine of your choice.

add beat juice from a can, to make them Pink!

Children, and Drunks Love Them!

Eric, Austin Tx.

@dragnlaw Those eggs on the bottom in your photo, with the network of brown stains in them, look like the tea eggs! Before they are peeled, they just look like brown eggs, but that tea and dark soy make an attractive design on them.

Have you tried making Pink Pickled Eggs like you get in bars here in Texas?

I like them. They're great fun at Parties, and last a long time in the fridge.

Boil eggs, add pickle brine of your choice.

add beat juice from a can, to make them Pink!

Children, and Drunks Love Them!

Eric, Austin Tx.
I love pickled eggs. I like your standard pickled eggs made with the beet juice, but my favorite is German pickled eggs that I'll make on occasion. They are divine.

@dragnlaw so pretty, those tea eggs! That's a great picture.

I know this isn't a seasoning or spice, but when we ate eggs, we loved the welsh eggs (potato/cheese coating) and scotch eggs (sausage coating), both crusted with bread crumbs, fried or baked.
The-Best-Homemade-Scotch-Eggs25-227x300@2x.jpg

As a plain egg, we often made egg salad with a little dill and capers with mayo.

@dragnlaw so pretty, those tea eggs! That's a great picture.

I know this isn't a seasoning or spice, but when we ate eggs, we loved the welsh eggs (potato/cheese coating) and scotch eggs (sausage coating), both crusted with bread crumbs, fried or baked.
The-Best-Homemade-Scotch-Eggs25-227x300@2x.jpg

As a plain egg, we often made egg salad with a little dill and capers with mayo.
I've always wanted to try scotch eggs. Maybe I'll muster the energy to make them one day.

With you on that one Linda, have never made scotch eggs. One day, maybe, perhaps, almost?

But I would really like to eat one before trying to make. Have been sort of ambivalent on the taste ever since I first heard of them.

With you on that one Linda, have never made scotch eggs. One day, maybe, perhaps, almost?

But I would really like to eat one before trying to make. Have been sort of ambivalent on the taste ever since I first heard of them.
I agree. But they sure sound good. Wouldn't hurt to try them. If I don't like them, I'll just never make them again. But I love experimenting with recipes I've never made before.

I agree. But they sure sound good. Wouldn't hurt to try them. If I don't like them, I'll just never make them again. But I love experimenting with recipes I've never made before.
I have yet to make them, but not only do they sound good, they taste even better if the sausage is good. They are also incredibly filling. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. I was really surprised by how good they were. A Scottish friend brought some that she had made to a Solstice supper.

Mostly, I'm just reluctant to deep fry. I don't want to have to deal with the used oil. Don't tell me I can reuse it. I don't deep fry often enough for that to work for me. I have tried it in the past and the oil just takes up space and eventually goes rancid before I actually want to deep fry something again.

I have yet to make them, but not only do they sound good, they taste even better if the sausage is good. They are also incredibly filling. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. I was really surprised by how good they were. A Scottish friend brought some that she had made to a Solstice supper.

Mostly, I'm just reluctant to deep fry. I don't want to have to deal with the used oil. Don't tell me I can reuse it. I don't deep fry often enough for that to work for me. I have tried it in the past and the oil just takes up space and eventually goes rancid before I actually want to deep fry something again.
I don't deep fry that often either, unless I'm in the mood for my vegetable tempura.

An alternative to deep frying that works with some dishes is instead of filling up a whole fryer with oil (I even experience anxiety just dumping oil into the small Fry Daddy :LOL:) is I'll get a small saucepan and use that, if I've only got a small amount to fry. I don't feel like I'm wasting oil doing it that way and I imagine scotch eggs would work okay in the saucepan? Might need to turn them once or twice, but it would be a way to fry up a small amount of eggs without dragging out the Fry Daddy. I also have one of those bigger digital deep fryers with the basket that lowers down into it, etc, but I've only used it once or twice. That's for big jobs, like large amounts of fries or other foods that take up a good amount of room.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom