Bacteria laden dishrags

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
does letting your dishrag dry overnight kill the bacteria? How could any bacteria survive without moisture?

I don't know if it is adequate with dish cloths made from cotton or polyester. They don't dry all that fast. But, I remember reading that J-Cloths and Handiwipes do dry fast enough, that when rinsed well hung up to dry, they don't support the growth of micro-organisms.

Do what my wife does with the dishrag every day.
Into a large bowl; splash of chlorine bleach; fill with boiling water; leave till the morning.

I don't know if it is adequate with dish cloths made from cotton or polyester. They don't dry all that fast. But, I remember reading that J-Cloths and Handiwipes do dry fast enough, that when rinsed well hung up to dry, they don't support the growth of micro-organisms.
I didn't know that. I've been using Handiwipes for decades. My mom used them when I was growing up.

I didn't know that. I've been using Handiwipes for decades. My mom used them when I was growing up.

I bought a huge bag of generic J Cloths (basically the same thing as a Handiwipes, just the version that we get in Canada and apparently in GB). I throw them in the laundry and use them for just about anything most people use a paper towel for. I use a paper towel when I know I will want to throw it out immediately. I really like them. They have to be more environmentally friendly than using a whole bunch of paper towels.

I'm a paper towel guy. Just never saw the point of washing my hands, then using a towel that everyone else used to dry thier hands.

Drives my wife nuts.

I guess the point here would be really, how well do you wash your hands?

Especially from a farm, I agree Vinyl. But living alone, I did use a handtowel. AND I've always made sure that there was a hand towel in the kitchen, so please do not use my dish towels to dry your hands!

Whenever having guests, especially since Covid, I would announce (as a joke but I was perfectly serious) that there were enough hand towels in the washroom for everyone to use their own.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom