Best store bought macaroni and cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Evaporated milk was very popular in the days before mechanical refrigeration.

Every now and then you will see one of these china evaporated milk can covers at a flea market.

Some of them also had an under plate to catch the drips.

il_794xN.2148835470_4rdz.jpg

Never actually thought about freezing it, thanks GG. My problem is I have all sorts of 1/2 cup of this, 1/2 cup of that... which I promptly forget about - whether or not it is on a list.

I actually kinda liked the canned cheese ravioli , and the spaghettio's. I always used to eat them cold, right out of the can. Ahhh, the good ole days.

I have a neighbor who eats Spaghetti O's cold out of the can. He's 65. I have a hard time wrapping my head around that. But, we have a 77 year old presidential candidate who lives on McD's cheeseburgers and KFC, and he's 6'4" and weighs a svelte 215 pounds... exactly the same as some NFL quarterbacks. :rolleyes: Go figure.

CD

It’s sad but true that we live in a world where price trumps health and nutrition.

I understand that in some situations the lack of money is a very real concern but IMO the major concern is our choices and priorities.

I’m as guilty as anyone, I still can’t resist a $tore meal every now and then.

I didn't work my a** off for 40 years so I could retire and eat the same food I ate when I was in college, and had to choose between good food and paying the rent, and putting gas in my car.

I rarely eat at restaurants, so I can buy good food at the grocery store. Those Stouffer's M&C cups are in the freezer for when I want a snack, or need a side in a hurry (BTW, great mixed with some steamed broccoli).

CD

This reminds me of what a friend once told me. When she was a poor student, living with roommates, they bought boxes of generic mac & cheese, not the good stuff - Kraft Dinner. They would throw away everything but the macaroni. They had figured out that, while the mac & cheese the box made was horrible, this was the cheapest way to buy macaroni.

This reminds me of what a friend once told me. When she was a poor student, living with roommates, they bought boxes of generic mac & cheese, not the good stuff - Kraft Dinner. They would throw away everything but the macaroni. They had figured out that, while the mac & cheese the box made was horrible, this was the cheapest way to buy macaroni.
My mom used to do that. She would buy piles of the mac & cheese in what I call the 'seriously true generic' black & white box (I don't think there were even brand names on those boxes) yet she would pitch out the packets of cheese. I never really knew why she did that, but now I suppose I do.

So macaroni as part of a mac and cheese packaged dinner was cheaper than a box of dry pasta? Seems illogical.

Of course it is Andy. But so is selling 2 packages of a product being cheaper (at the regular price) than the double the sized package. Even the manager of the store shook his head... pricing came from corporate!

So macaroni as part of a mac and cheese packaged dinner was cheaper than a box of dry pasta? Seems illogical.
That I personally don't know. It's just something my mom did back in the 80's. I think those boxes of mac & cheese were like 10 cents or something. So you could buy 10 boxes for $1. She'd dump the macaroni into a large plastic container and throw away the cheese packets.

*shrug*

In my opinion, in our area, Kroger has THE best mac and cheese. However, it's their frozen version I am referring to. Definitely delicious.

Edit to correct...the Kroger mac and cheese is in the refrigerated section of the store NOT in with frozen foods. Oops!

Last edited:
In my opinion, in our area, Kroger has THE best mac and cheese. However, it's their frozen version I am referring to. Definitely delicious.
I've never tried the Kroger frozen mac & cheese, but I do buy their boxed version. I'll have to try the frozen one soon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom