Can Food Help Quit Smoking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well our member only got a few answers to her question. This whole thread has been overtaken by Chantix.

I feel she received many good answers to her question. That and she never came back to join the discussion. It's possible she prefers not to join the discussion, and that's perfectly fine. But we're still on the main topic and Chantix was a suggestion for her to look into.

Last edited:
Roll Bones - were they side effects from the drug itself? or withdrawal symptoms from the nicotine.

Chantix was the cause. That is certain. But it was worth a little pain to achieve the big goal.

I’m a little afraid of Chantix. The whole “if you are experiencing thoughts of suicide” thing. But I DO need to quit!

If I listened to all these commercials that are required to list the possible side effects of any medicine, I would not be on any medicine.
You can always discontinue the use of Chantix at any time.
In fact the package directs tell you to discontinue use if there are severe side effects and contact your doctor.

I feel she received many good answers to her question. That and she never came back to join the discussion. It's possible she prefers not to join the discussion, and that's perfectly fine. But we're still on the main topic and Chantix was a suggestion for her to look into.

I will scream "Chantix" from the mountain top. To anyone that will listen.

I did not quit because I really wanted to either, thats why I'm such a big proponent of Chantix. I did it for my wife who quit before me.
It actually worked without any assistance from my smoking brain.
The drug did something to me I could not do.

I used to be envious of people that had never smoked. Knowing how easy it was for them to resist picking up this most nasty habit.
Today I am one of those people even though I smoked for more than 40 years.

Well our member only got a few answers to her question. This whole thread has been overtaken by Chantix.

Addie, she made one post and then split according to her profile. She got lots of good answers but didn't even care enough to stick around and read them. You know it happens all the time and we get over it. The conversation has been a good one in spite of that.

I will scream "Chantix" from the mountain top. To anyone that will listen.

I did not quit because I really wanted to either, thats why I'm such a big proponent of Chantix. I did it for my wife who quit before me.
It actually worked without any assistance from my smoking brain.
The drug did something to me I could not do.

I used to be envious of people that had never smoked. Knowing how easy it was for them to resist picking up this most nasty habit.
Today I am one of those people even though I smoked for more than 40 years.

I wish I had never started. Because you can't miss what you've never had. But once you start and then see other people smoking while you're trying to quit, you feel almost envious of them. Sounds ridiculous, but there it is.

Both of my parents were smokers. And they would always tell me not to smoke. Well, me being a rebellious know-it-all teenager, I felt that was rather hypocritical of them. So I decided to smoke. When my dad found out, he did the typical punishment of sitting me down at the table and making me smoke one after the other in order to make me sick. Didn't work. I was determined to not let my parents - or the cigarettes - beat me. I mean, hey, they were telling me not to smoke with a cigarette hanging out of their mouths. How dare they tell me not to do something, then turn around and do it themselves. Made no sense to me.

But now it does. I now know they were only trying to save me from the same fate. I should have listened.

Linda- don't beat yourself up about that - we all did.

Even back in the late 50's when it had not yet been proven detrimental my father (who did not smoke) said it was bad for you health. Somehow I knew he was right but by then it was too late. And I had been smoking for barely a year.

My mother was a chain smoker. My girlfriend and I started because we thought it made us look grown-up. (14 years old)

The only thing I miss about smoking is meeting people outside or in smoking areas. I love meeting and talking to people.

Russ

Linda- don't beat yourself up about that - we all did.

Even back in the late 50's when it had not yet been proven detrimental my father (who did not smoke) said it was bad for you health. Somehow I knew he was right but by then it was too late. And I had been smoking for barely a year.

My mother was a chain smoker. My girlfriend and I started because we thought it made us look grown-up. (14 years old)

I think a lot of us felt the same way when we were that age. Makes you look grown up, makes you look cool.

I had an aunt who was a chain smoker. She would smoke a cigarette down to the butt, then use the still-lit butt to light another one before she would put that one out. Needless to say, she died of lung cancer.

I wish I had never started. Because you can't miss what you've never had. But once you start and then see other people smoking while you're trying to quit, you feel almost envious of them. Sounds ridiculous, but there it is.

I have the same feelings about this. People that have never tasted a cigarette, do not have the same issue us smokers and ex -smokers have.
We smoked, we got addicted, and some of us quit and others may not ever quit.
I know several people that are in their golden years. And they are dragging smoke. Smoking cigarettes.
My wife's aunt was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. She refused any life saving efforts and finished out her days smoking in a hospital bed at home.
She lived 10 years. They gave her 6 months.

The only thing I miss about smoking is meeting people outside or in smoking areas. I love meeting and talking to people.
Russ

I love to meet new folks. I also need to shut up now and again.

I think a lot of us felt the same way when we were that age. Makes you look grown up, makes you look cool.

No doubt Linda. Peer pressure played a big part in smoking. My first smoke was on my friends roof. 13, I think.

Cg, my nana died of emphasemia sp? At 66, my mum and her were very close, (only child) my mum always said she would die at 66 as well. Very spooky, I never took it serious. Sure enough she was found unconscious one day and life support switched off 3 days later. Aged 66. I sometimes think she wished herself dead.

Russ
That is so sad, Russ. My Mom had her heart attack at age 60. I swore I would avoid that. By not smoking and following a much different diet, so far at age 67 I've got a pretty healthy heart.

I have the same feelings about this. People that have never tasted a cigarette, do not have the same issue us smokers and ex -smokers have.
We smoked, we got addicted, and some of us quit and others may not ever quit.
I know several people that are in their golden years. And they are dragging smoke. Smoking cigarettes.
My wife's aunt was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. She refused any life saving efforts and finished out her days smoking in a hospital bed at home.
She lived 10 years. They gave her 6 months.

I love to meet new folks. I also need to shut up now and again.

No doubt Linda. Peer pressure played a big part in smoking. My first smoke was on my friends roof. 13, I think.

Ahh yes, the good old peer pressure. But then when I was a teenager, it was common for people to smoke. Everyone I knew smoked. Parents, aunts, uncles and most of my friends.

Your wife's aunt lived 10 years after that diagnosis, wow. I had an aunt who was diagnosed with leukemia. They gave her a year, at best. She lived 11 years beyond that. My husband, on the other hand, was diagnosed with liver cancer this past August 17th and died September 22nd. Cancer affects everyone differently, I guess. But with liver cancer, you're pretty much doomed. It was very aggressive and he never even had the chance to start chemo. He was so far gone that the chemo would have killed him faster than the cancer itself.

I too know an older man - 70 something - who still smokes.

Ahh yes, the good old peer pressure. But then when I was a teenager, it was common for people to smoke. Everyone I knew smoked. Parents, aunts, uncles and most of my friends.

Your wife's aunt lived 10 years after that diagnosis, wow. I had an aunt who was diagnosed with leukemia. They gave her a year, at best. She lived 11 years beyond that. My husband, on the other hand, was diagnosed with liver cancer this past August 17th and died September 22nd. Cancer affects everyone differently, I guess. But with liver cancer, you're pretty much doomed. It was very aggressive and he never even had the chance to start chemo. He was so far gone that the chemo would have killed him faster than the cancer itself.

I too know an older man - 70 something - who still smokes.

My sincere condolences Linda.

I've smoked for over 65 years.. I do smoke about half of what I did when younger but, its just something I do..

I've made attempts to quit, always for someone else, and it just never took.. Of course I wished I'd never started but, it is what it is and I enjoy sitting outside, smoking and thinking..

Ross

I've smoked for over 65 years.. I do smoke about half of what I did when younger but, its just something I do..

I've made attempts to quit, always for someone else, and it just never took.. Of course I wished I'd never started but, it is what it is and I enjoy sitting outside, smoking and thinking..

Ross

Yeah, see, that's my whole problem. I know I should quit, but I truly enjoy smoking. And ever since my son was born, I started smoking outside. I too like sitting outside with a smoke, especially on a nice evening.

That is so sad, Russ. My Mom had her heart attack at age 60. I swore I would avoid that. By not smoking and following a much different diet, so far at age 67 I've got a pretty healthy heart.

I'm 62 and travelling quite well. Bp was perfect last time and watch what I eat. Still working full time even after I retired last year. Gotta keep fit. I don't plan on going any time soon. I've got grandkids that need to get to know me.!!
;);)

Russ

I agree with you Russ. It's the only thing I miss as I met some of the nicest strangers who happened to be smokers.

A friend of mine lost his license (drunk driving) so he had to catch a bus to work. The first day he told me there were about 6 or 7 people at the bus stop. He introduced himself and said what he did. Within a week they were all talking as old friends. Within about a month they had all been out to dinner. This was a year or so ago. They all still see each other at their homes regularly. It's a strange world?

Russ

Chantix is working. I lit up a cigarette after I had eaten a very small meal and taken my meds. Immediately became very nausea. Cigarette is still unfinished and sitting in the ashtray. I probably will try again tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom