Can Food Help Quit Smoking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess they changed the way Chantix is taken.
When I was given the prescription it was a blister card with enough tablets to last exactly one month. Kinda like some antibiotics are packaged.
The first two weeks were .5 mg and the following two weeks were 1 mg. I don't remember if it was two a day or one.

But it was not prescribed like Addie is using hers. For me it was a one month thing and it was over. So were the cigarettes.
Seems counter productive to take something that has the side effects this drug has over long periods of time.
I mean a whole month of nightmares and an altered personality was almost more than I/wife could stand. But in the end it was almost the best thing I have ever done.

You are right. I don't take them like prescribed. One stupid dream I had involved a baby that I took to Australia so the kangaroo could babysit. But never any nightmares.

Right now I take two a day if I notice I am smoking to much. It does cut me back, but I do get a full blown case of the dry heaves. It is usually two or three days before I am up to the level I was. So I think twice before I take one.

I never found any magic foods that helped to limit my smoking.

Food actually contributed to my smoking because I always had a cigarette after eating anything.

I used Chantix to quit in 30 days and was amazed at how well it worked for me.

Chantix dulls/blocks the nicotine receptors in the brain so that you actually need to smoke more cigarettes to get a benefit from the nicotine. During my first week of taking it while still smoking, I noticed that and was concerned that it was not working but I did quit on the designated date and it wasn't easy but it worked for me.

Addie....you've mentioned this several times before. Just because you didn't actually see the physician reviewing your chart, doesn't mean they didn't. If that were standard practice, the facility and the doctors would have malpractice suits galore and likely be either out of business or in prison. I can guarantee you that they looked at your chart and med history before randomly prescribing more meds - probably before you arrived for your scheduled appointment. :rolleyes:

Also, Addie....why in the world would you take it upon yourself to just stop taking prescribed meds? I don't know what meds you take, but I do know that many are very dangerous to just quit cold turkey rather than be weaned off of. I would venture a guess that your doctors know what they are doing.

Cheryl, my apologies in getting back to you. Many, many years ago I was diagnosed with diabetes. I was hell bent and determined to get it under control. And I did. I brought my A1c way down to normal. The doctor took me off the Metformin. I was controlling my sugar level with diet alone. Then one morning when I took my fistful of meds, about 15 minutes later I started to have a crash. I was totally baffled. I hadn't eaten anything that should have caused my sugar levels to crash like that. A mad dash to the sugar bowl to get my A1c back where it needed to be. This went on for about a week. I finally looked at the list of morning meds I was taken. Without letting me know, I was put back on the Metformin either by the NP or doctor. That is when I stopped taking a fistful of pills every morning. When I mentioned it to the doctor, he informed me that it wasn't him. So it had to be the NP. That little action on the part of the NP could have cost me my life. Since then my A1c has been the envy of anyone who knows me. I control my diabetes by diet alone. I was in more danger taking the Metformin than I was by stopping it so suddenly.

The next time I went into the hospital, the doctors there understood why I had stopped taking my morning meds. And there were some that were repeated at noon and evening. When you consider how many B vitamins there are and I was receiving them individually. Taking a B12 was so much easier.

So no, doctors don't always read your chart to see what has been added since they last saw it. The doctor who was looking after my leg, always forgot to enter new instructions onto the computer. I had to remind him every single visit. The staff at Winthrop certainly wasn't going to take my word for what he said.

I’m a little afraid of Chantix. The whole “if you are experiencing thoughts of suicide” thing. But I DO need to quit!

I’m a little afraid of Chantix. The whole “if you are experiencing thoughts of suicide” thing. But I DO need to quit!

Take it from me, nothing will work until you are ready.

Talk to your PCP about Chantix and your concerns with taking it.

When I took it I had odd dreams in technicolor that continued for several months and then gradually went away. Nothing that resembled nightmares just odd dreams. I limited my use of Chantix to 30 days instead of the 12-week program because of the expense.

When I took it they also had a daily telephone contact to let them know how you were doing, offering various tips, etc... That daily call did help to keep me honest.

Good luck!

Have you tried vaping instead of smoking? I started vaping two years ago and I haven't had a cigarette in that time. I had a couple of puffs off a friend's cigarette, but I didn't like it. I am in the process of weaning myself off of nicotine. It's not a perfect solution, but it's a lot less toxins than the stinky sticks. I had tried the gum, the patch, something similar to Chantix, as well as cold turkey and that timer thingee everyone was using in the late 1980s.

Have you tried vaping instead of smoking? I started vaping two years ago and I haven't had a cigarette in that time. I had a couple of puffs off a friend's cigarette, but I didn't like it. I am in the process of weaning myself off of nicotine. It's not a perfect solution, but it's a lot less toxins than the stinky sticks. I had tried the gum, the patch, something similar to Chantix, as well as cold turkey and that timer thingee everyone was using in the late 1980s.
I do vape, but for some reason, sometimes it makes me cough violently. And it’s not as satisfying.

I do vape, but for some reason, sometimes it makes me cough violently. And it’s not as satisfying.

I haven't had an issue with coughing. I use flavours that imitate Canadian cigarettes and I made sure to get a device that would produce a satisfying amount of visible vapour. I know it doesn't do it for everyone, but for me it really does.

The first device I got was not satisfying. I bought it online. I had to go to a vape shop and talk with someone who found me a device that was satisfying. Now I buy that kind online.

Last edited:
And there were some that were repeated at noon and evening.

Sometimes people need a steady amount of a medication in their system for it to work, so it has to be repeated.

When you consider how many B vitamins there are and I was receiving them individually. Taking a B12 was so much easier.

Are you saying you think B12 is a replacement for all the other B vitamins? It's not. They are each chemically different and do different things in the body.

I've been a smoker since I was stealing cigs at 14 from my smoker parents. I'm also a Chantix advocate and was able to quit even after DH died and I was an emotional wreck. No nightmares or mood swings, Chantix really did curb my urge to smoke after decades of addiction. And so far no excess eating either.

I haven't had an issue with coughing. I use flavours that imitate Canadian cigarettes and I made sure to get a device that would produce a satisfying amount of visible vapour. I know it doesn't do it for everyone, but for me it really does.

The first device I got was not satisfying. I bought it online. I had to go to a vape shop and talk with someone who found me a device that was satisfying. Now I buy that kind online.
I use the Suori (sp?j Drop. It’s convenient and it uses refillable cartridges, so I don’t have to mess with coils and the like. I like creamy flavors with notes of tobacco and booze. The fruity flavors turn me off.

This thread has been a fascinating read. I've never been a smoker either because I 1) was too cheap to spend money on something that, literally, went up in smoke or 2) was afraid my Mom would make good on her promise to kill me no matter how old I got.

I lived in a house with three smokers until I got married and moved out at age 23 1/2. Mom was around a pack a day smoker, Dad went through two packs, and my aunt probably smoked a little less than half a pack a day. My only safe zone was up in my room, with an old accordion door closing it off from the rest of the house. I'd have my bedroom window open almost all year long, leaving it just a crack in cold weather so that I had some fresh air in the room. Maybe the fact that I spent so much time in a house with smoke was just what I needed to avoid it.

Mom quit cold turkey in 1988. That's when she had her heart attack. By the time she left the hospital three weeks later, her urge was gone. Dad, on the other hand, continued to smoke - even on the sly after he told Mom he quit. You see, over his life (six weeks shy of 75 years) he ended up getting four (five?) different cancers. It's the one in his kidney that did him in. Or was it his lung? Anyway, my aunt managed to live to the ripe old age of 96. But she had mini-strokes from her early 80's, so it's not like she got off scot free. I'm pretty sure she lasted that long because, like her aunt before her (my great aunt Rose), God and the devil were arguing over which one had to take her. Loved her, but she wasn't easy to love.

Congrats to you who have conquered nicotine and are now smoke-free. Good luck and God bless to those of you trying to quit. And Charlie? You don't need to be an ex-smoker to put on 40 pounds. I did that when we moved by indulging in what I call "depression eating". I'm afraid I'll never get back home to OH unless I first leave those 40 pounds here in MA...:(

I've been a smoker since I was stealing cigs at 14 from my smoker parents. I'm also a Chantix advocate and was able to quit even after DH died and I was an emotional wreck. No nightmares or mood swings, Chantix really did curb my urge to smoke after decades of addiction. And so far no excess eating either.

Dear Dawg, it's my opinion that if you could successfully quit smoking after the life changing trauma of being newly widowed, nobody has an emotional excuse for not doing the same. Good for you!!!!

Take it from me, nothing will work until you are ready.

Talk to your PCP about Chantix and your concerns with taking it.

When I took it I had odd dreams in technicolor that continued for several months and then gradually went away. Nothing that resembled nightmares just odd dreams. I limited my use of Chantix to 30 days instead of the 12-week program because of the expense.

When I took it they also had a daily telephone contact to let them know how you were doing, offering various tips, etc... That daily call did help to keep me honest.

Good luck!

Not everyone has nightmares. I had scenes of small children, babies being born, always a pleasant dream. Some times I had night with no dreams.

Cg, my nana died of emphasemia sp? At 66, my mum and her were very close, (only child) my mum always said she would die at 66 as well. Very spooky, I never took it serious. Sure enough she was found unconscious one day and life support switched off 3 days later. Aged 66. I sometimes think she wished herself dead.

Russ

Well our member only got a few answers to her question. This whole thread has been overtaken by Chantix.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom