Canned Pickle Consistency Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
This was my first year canning.
I did tomatoes and Pickles
In both instances, I meticulously followed the direction.
With the pickles, I not only followed directions, but I even used a pickle mix specific for canning. ( Mrs. Wages Quick Process Kosher Dill Pickle Mix).

The tomatoes came out great.
The pickles, although the taste is good ( in my opinion a little too salty), but its the consistency that wasn't great. They are mushy.
The cakes were fresh. The option I was given was either cut as spears or slice. I chose to slice so I could make sandwich pickles. The slices were uniform ( as I used a mandolin), and the slices were on the thicker side , just shy of 1/4 inch ( what ever the largest size was on the mandolin). I also chose to crinkle cut them.

Anyway, with the amount of kirbies I grow each year, and my love of pickles, I figured canning would be great , as it would carry me through the winter until the next season. I just need a way to can pickles that are more crunchy.

( I used kirbies from a local farm, as I didn't want to experiment with my own. Kinda glad I did. I need to work out this bug).

Anyway, any suggestions to get crispier pickles in the canning process?
They don't even have to be super crispy, just not mushy.

Add 1/2 tsp Calcium Chloride - a.k.a. "Pickle Crisp" - to the bottom of a quart jar, before adding the other ingredients. This definitely helps. Alum used to be used for crisping, but calcium chloride replaced that many years ago.

Back
Top Bottom