My Mom Only Used A Little Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

musicmatt

Assistant Cook
I'm trying to recreate my mom's pickles since she passed away in 2021. She did not leave a recipe, but I did help her many, many times.

I remember her using maybe only 3 or 4 inches of water, bringing her canning pot to a boil with the jars in it, and then removing the jars as soon as the boil started. But I don't see any recipes for that method online. Everyone says that you need to fully submerge the jars and now I'm scared. LOL I'm not my mom, and I don't know if she had some kind of other method to make sure they didn't spoil. Man, she made great pickles! For 65 years.

Can anyone weigh in on this?

I've no clue...but someone will likely be along soon...in the meantime, welcome to DC.

P.S. Sorry for your loss. Moms are very special.

There are two waterbath type methods. The waterbath has water fully submerging the jars with 1-2 inches of water over them. Once at a rolling boil it should go to a soft boil and then start timing according to nchfp guidelines.
edit: there is a variation on this method, called low temperature pasteurization, the water is only at 180-185 deg F for the time required.
Then there is steam canning, with a steam canner, this uses less water. I don't have experience with it.

Here are basic guidelines, the canning part is particular to the recipe you are canning. https://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/usda/GUIDE06_HomeCan_rev0715.pdf

Last edited:
My parents used to make pickles every fall. They'd add a 50/50 vinegar and water solution to the veggies and spices and cap the bottles. No need to can them. Salt and vinegar are all the preservatives you'll need. Store them in a cool dry place for 6 weeks.

My parents used to make pickles every fall. They'd add a 50/50 vinegar and water solution to the veggies and spices and cap the bottles. No need to can them. Salt and vinegar are all the preservatives you'll need. Store them in a cool dry place for 6 weeks.
I would say her method was closer to this, but maybe she put them in sterilized jars and sealed them out of many years of habit? I did use 50/50 and salt. They are crunchy, tasty and amazing. The brine is crystal clear.

Welcome to DC, MusicMatt! It's frustrating when we lose loved recipes along with loved family/friends. I really hope you can recreate it.

Welcome to the forum!

The only canning I've ever seen described in which the jars were only partially covered was pressure canning.
I have a steam canner, which is an approved method. It only requires a few inches of water because it's the steam heat that sterilizes the food and jars.

I have a steam canner, which is an approved method. It only requires a few inches of water because it's the steam heat that sterilizes the food and jars.
Do the jars sit on a rack above the water or are the bottoms of the ars in the water? I have read about steam canners and that a couple of brands/models have been tested. They are apparently safe for any water bath canning method. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

Do the jars sit on a rack above the water or are the bottoms of the ars in the water? I have read about steam canners and that a couple of brands/models have been tested. They are apparently safe for any water bath canning method. Please correct me if I am mistaken.
You're right, they can be used with any approved water-bath canning recipe. The jars sit on a rack above the water, which is surprisingly sturdy. It's not like the kind that sits in a water-bath pot.
Screenshot_20230901-092757_Amazon Shopping.jpg

You're right, they can be used with any approved water-bath canning recipe. The jars sit on a rack above the water, which is surprisingly sturdy. It's not like the kind that sits in a water-bath pot.
View attachment 65796
If I get interested in canning again, I think I would opt for this method. It must take less time to start boiling. There is a lot less water to have to get to the stove and to empty afterwards. Also, I imagine that for people who don't want huge, heavy pots of water on their glass top stoves, this would be much better.

How have you been enjoying using this method? Did you used to can in a big water bath canner?

I have also canned using the steamer method, using my large aluminum Chinese steamer. It has a high domed lid, do it holds pints with a lot of room to spare, and holds 6 pints, but I wouldn't do quarts - too close to the top. Since I got the pressure canner, I've thought about doing that, with some spacers under the rack, to make more room for water, but I haven't done that yet.

I would be wary of steam canning in anything other than a tested and approved steam canner. Here's an update to a blog entry by Dr. Barbara Ingham, who did the testing on the safety of steam canning. I got the link from the National Center for Home Food Preservation.

Honestly had never seen or heard of them before. What a game changer! I haven't even considered canning since moving - just not worth all the hassle involved. But this just might. Idea on the back burner for now.

Pepper what does your Chinese steamer look like? Could you post a picture. Just curious.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom