ChefAlarm from Thermoworks problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I noticed at least one other person here on DC uses a probe thermometer with an alarm. I bought one in 2015 and it worked fine for almost five years. Then I started having a problem with the probe. The display said to "insert probe" or "no probe", when clearly there was a probe inserted into alarm.

I went to the website and checked the FAQ about the ChefAlarm® Cooking Alarm Thermometer and Timer. I vaguely remember calling tech sup. The solution was supposed to be to put a new battery, even if the one in the ChefAlarm seemed fine. It didn't really help. The display still said to insert the probe, even though the probe was plugged in. I still use it as a kitchen timer. Has anyone else had this or another problem with these timers? I would dearly be able to use my ChefAlarm as temperature probe again. It was really useful.

I noticed at least one other person here on DC uses a probe thermometer with an alarm. I bought one in 2015 and it worked fine for almost five years. Then I started having a problem with the probe. The display said to "insert probe" or "no probe", when clearly there was a probe inserted into alarm.
I went to the website and checked the FAQ about the ChefAlarm® Cooking Alarm Thermometer and Timer. I vaguely remember calling tech sup. The solution was supposed to be to put a new battery, even if the one in the ChefAlarm seemed fine. It didn't really help. The display still said to insert the probe, even though the probe was plugged in. I still use it as a kitchen timer. Has anyone else had this or another problem with these timers? I would dearly be able to use my ChefAlarm as temperature probe again. It was really useful.
There's an awful lot going on on that screen! I use the Dot https://www.thermoworks.com/dot/

I've had to replace the probe and cable once because it got damaged under my grill lid.

The probe/cable needs to be replaced. A bad probe/cable is the same thing as the probe /cable disconnected. It could be either. But I put my money on the cable. Order a new probe/cable and put in new batteries when you go to install it.

The probe/cable needs to be replaced. A bad probe/cable is the same thing as the probe /cable disconnected. It could be either. But I put my money on the cable. Order a new probe/cable and put in new batteries when you go to install it.

There's an awful lot going on on that screen! I use the Dot https://www.thermoworks.com/dot/

I've had to replace the probe and cable once because it got damaged under my grill lid.
Well, I decided to see how much shipping to Canada is now. It's USD9.99, but that includes duties and taxes. It's a great deal the probe is $19, so it seems a bit much to pay over half of that just for shipping.

So, I get to the site and today they are giving away Black Dot Alarms with purchases over $100. w00t! I wanted to get the newer Thermapen with the rotating display. DH would really love to bring a Thermapen with him when he goes camping, so we had been considering getting another one. One new Thermapen plus a "boot" (magnetic and glows in the dark) and I'm over the $100. Solves my problem and I get a bargain. The order has been placed. Oh, and the probes that work with the Dot Alarm work with the ChefAlarm, so I will be able to test it.
hapydancsmil.gif

I recently bought the Thermapen 1 and really like it.
I'll find out soon, but I'm sure I'll like it. It's going to be mine and DH will get the old one. I also like having that "boot" on it. When I drop it, it is cushioned; it has magnets and I can stick it to my fridge; it glows in the dark, so we can find it easily when grilling at dusk or after dark.

Well, I decided to see how much shipping to Canada is now. It's USD9.99, but that includes duties and taxes. It's a great deal the probe is $19, so it seems a bit much to pay over half of that just for shipping.

So, I get to the site and today they are giving away Black Dot Alarms with purchases over $100. w00t! I wanted to get the newer Thermapen with the rotating display. DH would really love to bring a Thermapen with him when he goes camping, so we had been considering getting another one. One new Thermapen plus a "boot" (magnetic and glows in the dark) and I'm over the $100. Solves my problem and I get a bargain. The order has been placed. Oh, and the probes that work with the Dot Alarm work with the ChefAlarm, so I will be able to test it.
hapydancsmil.gif
Good move. I have the Dot as well. I have never used it yet. I think about it after I start roasting. I don't know if it has all the functions yours does though. I have had it just over a year. Its red. I can roll up the cable around it so its all in one small piece. Its the cover I think. The magnet sounds very interesting.

I also have the Thermopen instant read and I use it for more than cooking. I have aquariums and test water temp when doing water changes. I check the bucket before I put it in the tank.
I also calibrate my readout on my aquarium heaters using it. It is the most accurate thermometer we have. It has so many uses.

Good move. I have the Dot as well. I have never used it yet. I think about it after I start roasting. I don't know if it has all the functions yours does though. I have had it just over a year. Its red. I can roll up the cable around it so its all in one small piece. Its the cover I think. The magnet sounds very interesting.

I also have the Thermopen instant read and I use it for more than cooking. I have aquariums and test water temp when doing water changes. I check the bucket before I put it in the tank.
I also calibrate my readout on my aquarium heaters using it. It is the most accurate thermometer we have. It has so many uses.
No, the Dot doesn't have a built in timer and it doesn't have an alarm for when the temperature drops below what you set the min temp to. But, I have timers. My ChefAlarm's timer still works fine. And, I had never used the min temp alarm, when the temperature probe still worked.

I mostly used the probe for stuff that wasn't in the oven. I used it to poach sausages to 160°F. Then, they can be browned on a skillet or the grill and they don't burst.

The boot is a silicone cover for the Thermapen. It's a bugger to put it on or take it off, but it doesn't fall off. It has two magnets on the back and that is convenient. An important aspect, to me, is that it cushions my ThermaPen when I drop it or it falls off of something. I just noticed that the boot for the ThermaPen One has a lanyard. There isn't one with the boot for the ThermaPen Classic. ThermaPen ONE Silicone Boot

I recently bought the Thermapen 1 and really like it.

I had issues with my Thermapen, and brought it up on a BBQ forum and I got trashed. To some of them, having an issue with Thermaworks was like having an issue with God Almighty.

Stuff happens. I have a Meater wireless probe thermometer, and had issues with it, and had to work it out myself, because they offered zero support. They still send me emails to buy more of their stuff.

Nothing is perfect, no matter who makes it.

CD

With your new device, turn it on. Then disconnect the probe. You will see the same error you saw when you were not sure what the issue was.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom