Chefs who inspire you...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CG, one could say that my mom was also an inspiration to learn how to cook. :rolleyes:

I also do not have cable or satellite. I do have digital broadcast, as that is all you can get where I live. I thought it was that way everywhere.

I can find a lot on YouTube. I can also buy shows a-la-carte on iTunes.

CD

Well maybe. I dunno, your Mom didn't inspire me any. :D

I'm really not much of a TV watcher, casey. If you don't count the local news, my dedicated time to my must-see shows is six hours a week. Any other time the TV is on, it's mostly for background noise. (See remark about news...)

I know videos are online. I think PBS has practically every cooking show they've ever run somewhere on their site. No "i" anything here, since we're an Android family. I'd rather find an interesting recipe in a book or online and muddle my way through making it, rather than watch someone on TV do it. Just my nature.

I have to say I've been influenced by all! But I think especially my Mom.

Growing up her meals were plain and delicious - her hash, sheperds pie, chicken 'dumplings, breaded pork chops. And could she entertain! Fancy multi-course meals. (to which we were not invited, but peeked thru the pantry door)

As the kids grew and dispersed she had more time to explore different things and ways. She was an awesome cake decorator for peoples birthdays. She loved to try different things. Making cheese, growing mushrooms. One year they decided to butcher the moose they brought home. For days 'n days the house reeked of moose musk. It was my job to go and fetch the dry ice they packed around it in the downstairs bathtub. I still have a piece of the hide, toughest leather, was especially good for one of her hunting dogs with an injury that wouldn't heal, she made booties.

Once she skinned a pheasant, cured the skin and made a hat out of it with the beautiful feathers on it. I remember her rubbing the salt. She wore it to a fancy cocktail party, slowly as she moved around the feathers started falling out dropping around the room. She had the great ability to laugh at herself.

In her last home they had a huge fireplace with iron hook and an oven in the side of the chimney. They did a real Townsend type meal cooking only with the fire place. This was way before cooking shows were on TV (except maybe Julia Child?)

She brought home cookbooks from most of the places she traveled to.

So now I scour magazines, books, TV and Youtube. Want to try so many things... at least once. Thanks Mom!

You know, even though I quite like some of her recipes (Lydia Bastianich), I have her television persona to be a bit condescending, and she never gives ingredients or amounts! Now, that’s a fine way to cook if you’re gifted with a good eye and sensitive palate, but most of us watch cooking shows to learn (or gloat). Also, when she “answers” her audience’s questions it’s way to forced and scripted.

I neglected to mention...

I neglected to mention YOU FOLKS. Ever since I’ve joined this site, you’ve all given me great insight and information (and patience), and I love browsing the forums for info and ideas. Thanks, all!

Especially the episode fishing and Gennaro pulls an octopus (or squid?) out of his bathing suit because he couldn't carry anymore. Offers it to Antonio! Very funny.

Far too many to even start to list, many of whom I remember from the old TV Series,
dvd-tv-series

My longest running food crushes would still be a toss up between Alton Brown, Paul Bocuse (RIP), Massimo Bottura, Ferran Adria, Heston Blumenthal, and Fergus Henderson.

Oh yes, how could I have forgotten to mention Chef John? I use his great video's and recipes often. In my opinion, he's the gold standard of the cooking video. I guess he annoys some but he's the real deal with cooking and instructing. With him, even novice cooks can be successful.
Food Wishes' Chef John's Best (& Most Hilarious) Cooking Tips

I attest to that. This totally novice cook has managed to make some incredible food she never thought she could make, thanks to Chef John.

I like watching Julia Child sometimes, too.

My mom, meh, not so much. Anyone who takes a filet mignon, cuts it in half and cooks them well done isn't going to be influencing me by how they cook. Sorry, Mom.

I wasn't much interested in cooking when I was growing up, probably because my mom didn't enjoy it and she had little patience for teaching me how to do it. So I didn't watch Julia or Jacques, nor did I have Italian or Greek grandmas around. Neither of my grandmothers cooked well, and one lived in another state, so we rarely saw her. DH actually encouraged me to learn to cook; his mom was a good cook and worked at a butcher shop for a time, so she taught him and he taught me how to break down a chicken.

After we had been married about five years, I attended a workshop at a local horticulture center on cooking with fresh herbs. It was a revelation [emoji38] I had DH put window boxes on the outside of our third-floor apartment fire escape and grew herbs in them. I expanded it by a lot when we bought our house.

Then I discovered Penzeys Spices while visiting my brother and his wife in Oak Park, IL, and Cooks Illustrated magazine not long afterward. I've been a subscriber for close to 20 years and I've learned a lot about the science of cooking and baking from that.

Y'all will get a kick out of this :ROFLMAO: In 2002, I had major surgery, was home for six weeks of recovery, and discovered The Food Network - in particular, Rachael Ray's 30-Minute Meals and Ina Garten. While she's not a chef - and never claims to be - Rachael's show was great for someone new to cooking. She uses mostly fresh ingredients (except canned tomatoes) and has a lot of tips and shortcuts for preparing ingredients and setting up mise en place.

Ina is similar in that she's not a trained chef, but she has *so* much experience, I learned a lot from her, especially about baking. I also learned a lot from Bobby Flay and Rick Bayless - I won a Bayless cookbook years ago and loved it.

While Bobby may have some arrogance about him, he's undeniably a knowledgeable and creative chef who has several successful restaurants as well as FN shows. I like that two of his shows are designed to showcase other chefs and their foodways and skills - Bobby Flay's Showdown and Beat Bobby Flay.

One thing I learned from Rachael is that you can take a basic set of ingredients and, by using different seasonings and cooking methods, you can turn them into all kinds of dishes. Onions, garlic, bell and/or hot peppers and/or celery with chicken, pork, beef or fish/shellfish can become fajitas, Thai curry, Chinese stir-fry, jambalaya, Indian curry, Italian chicken cacciatore, different types of stew, etc.

Now, I have a bunch of cookbooks for different cuisines and I follow a few blogs, like Serious Eats, to get ideas and learn about dishes I haven't heard of before. Sometimes I follow a recipe; sometimes I use one or more and combine what I want from them. So I get inspiration from all sorts of places, including from many people here [emoji2]

Last edited:
I love ATK, Cook’s Country, and Christopher Kimball’s new show “Milk Street Television.” Did Kimball leave ATK, or is the new show another shoot off?

Christopher Kimball and ATK parted ways a few years ago, so the Milk Street show and newsletter are his new thing.

I grew up watching Graham Kerr, the Galloping Gourmet, on PBS pre Food Network. Liked Julia Child and Jacques too.

All the above for me as well, graham would always make cooking look fun and the end result was something to eat. Now how could that be something you couldn’t watch as a kid then. I had always thought he appeared to be a little light in the loafers but always enjoyed his show. When you know how to make cooking fun you can share your knowledge with younger members of your family and not make it look like a dreaded daily job.

All the above for me as well, graham would always make cooking look fun and the end result was something to eat. Now how could that be something you couldn’t watch as a kid then. I had always thought he appeared to be a little light in the loafers but always enjoyed his show. When you know how to make cooking fun you can share your knowledge with younger members of your family and not make it look like a dreaded daily job.

Interesting factoid... Graham Kerr married in 1955. His wife died in 2015, five days short of their 60th anniversary. They were both "born again" Christians.

He is still around, and is working on his 31st book.

CD

Interesting factoid... Graham Kerr married in 1955. His wife died in 2015, five days short of their 60th anniversary. They were both "born again" Christians.

He is still around, and is working on his 31st book.

CD

I remember years ago he had another show about cooking more healthy. I believe it was inspired by having to learn how to cook new and different for his wife on the account of her health was declining. I remember him saying something about no more heavy cream and butter type dishes. Some of those old PBS shows I miss, many favorites growing up.

Last edited:
I remember years ago he had another show about cooking more healthy. I believe it was inspired by having to learn how to cook new and different for his wife on the account of her health was declining. I remember him saying something about no more heavy cream and butter type dishes. Some of those old PBS shows I miss, many favorites growing up.

I remember that show. He would take classic dishes and replace the relatively unhealthy ingredients with healthier substitutes, putting them on these red, green, and yellow lights on a display to show what was changed.

Last edited:
Does anyone remember the show Grillin and Chillin?

It was some guy named Jack along with a very young Bobby Flay. It was terrible. It looked like it a college production that they shot it in someone's backyard.

Does anyone remember the show Grillin and Chillin?

It was some guy named Jack along with a very young Bobby Flay. It was terrible. It looked like it a college production that they shot it in someone's backyard.

That was Bobby Flay and Jack McDavid of Jack's Firehouse in Philly. I used to like that show. Jack was the "good-ol-boy," and Bobby was the "uptight chef."

http://www.jacksfirehouse.com

CD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom