Chili for ESRD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
This is not my prize winning chili, but it is tasty, and has no tomato, tomatillos, or beans, and it is safe for me to eat. I shar

e it with all of you, as it is very flavorful, and perfect in a burrito as well:chef:Dialysis Friendly Chile

No Tomato, Omit the Kidney Beans

Ingredients:
1 ½ lb,.80/20 ground sirloin
1 large red onion. Coarsely chopped
1 lb. Good chorizo
2 tbs. Dark red chili powder
1 tbs. chili powder
10 ancho dried chilis, stems removed, minced
4oz. Canned Hatch chilis
1 tbs. Ground cumin
4 fresh corn tortillas
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tbs cooking oil

Heat oil in heavy Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions. Cook until translucent. Add meats. Cover and let simmer for ten minutes. Remove cover and break up the meat. Fold everything over until well combined. Add Hatch chilies, and seasonings. Stir to combine everything together. Cover, and let cook for 1 hour over low heat. Remove cover ant let steam escape. Place dried chilies in a bowl with 1 cup water. Heat for three minutes on microwave high setting. Let sit for ten minutes to soften. Pour chilies and water into the Dutch oven. Stir them in. Simmer uncovered for ten minutes to reduce liquid. Stir again. Serve in bowls, or flour tortillas as a burrito. Add shredded cheese if you so desire, in your serving. Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Attachments

• 20210819_201335.jpg
    20210819_201335.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 169
  • 20210819_201402.jpg
    20210819_201402.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Just had a bowlful of this for lunch. It tastes better every time I eat it.

I used to love those cheap, gas station burritos, especially the all met hit variety. Even thought the fillings were made with a combination of beef, and TVP, I loved the spicy flavor. Well this no tomato, no bean chili tastes similar, but even better, as it also has the cilantro, and big chunks of meat. It is very thick, thick enough to make into a burrito. It's way different than any chili I've ever made. But it is well worth making, and safe for me to eat.

I hope someone else tries it. I imagine it's very similar to what the cowboys used to eat on cattle drives.

The corn tortillas are broken up, and added to the chili, to thicken it and add to the flavor. Fresh poblanos would work, as would canned green chilis in place of the Hatch chilis.

Thanks Chief. I have never seen canned chilis around here. i just did a search at two supermarkets that I shop at, online. Neither one had canned chilis of any sort. I can get locally grown poblanos in season, like right now. I also have some in the freezer from last year along with some jalapeños, habaneros, Scotch bonnets, and cayenne peppers.

Back
Top Bottom