Do you always halve cherry tomatoes before eating in a meal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
i almost never do it.

i also don't think i ever had a bad one.

because you know. if you half them you can see their insides

in some places in israel you can buy amazing cherry tomatoes. they are about 10 us dollars per kilo.

i don't see myself buying other tomatoes.

don't forget that you must keep tomatoes outside the fridge..

Biting a cherry tomato can make a mess, if you aren't careful. If I am putting them in a salad, I cut them in half. That way they don't explode when someone bites one. If they are on their own or with other vegis, I leave them whole and pop a whole in my mouth and let it explode fully inside my mouth.

Sometimes I don't, but more often I do halve them, for most of those salads I use them in, during the summer. Now, I don't mean adding them to green salads, as more of a garnish, but I'm talking about the salads in which they are the main ingredient, or close to it - often 3-4 cups of halved tomatoes - biting into whole tomatoes in those kind of salads wouldn't be good. Sometimes I'll drain them briefly, to get some juice out (though I never throw that away! lol), depending on the variety - some are much juicier. And in all of those cooked pasta dishes I make with cherry tomatoes, they are halved. So I halve them a lot more than not, though I do eat a lot of them whole! :LOL:

You're lucky you can get good cherry tomatoes there! Here, most of what you find in stores are bred for shipping, and storage, not flavor, though a couple of places have actually had some decent ones. Most of them, unfortunately, are simply nothing, flavorwise, compared to home grown. Sunsugar is my favorite one I grow (I still have a few out there!), but I keep trying new ones. Sunrise, and other Bumblebees are also great. I had 6 or 7 new ones this year - all delicious, but not good to grow.

isee
what are the best cherry tomatoes in n. america in your opinion?

This may come off as a bit of a smart aleck response, but I don't mean it that way!!

The best tomatoes are those one grows at home for yourself! Really! It may take a bit of experimenting to find your personal favorite. And it may take a bit of experimenting with nutrients to feed them, how much and how often...but once you get that down, you're in for a big treat!

JMO

Biting a cherry tomato can make a mess, if you aren't careful. If I am putting them in a salad, I cut them in half. That way they don't explode when someone bites one. If they are on their own or with other vegis, I leave them whole and pop a whole in my mouth and let it explode fully inside my mouth.

i've waited for someone who will mention biting it whole and the possible consequences :)

I leave them whole for eating fresh, for cooking, and for salads. I love the flavor that comes from the tomato caviar. When making my best, from scratch. marinara, or Sunday gravy, I use cherry , or grape tomatoes for their rich flavor, and cook them down into sauce, skins and all. I'm not as crazy about yellow cherry or grape tomatoes. Too me, they're too sweet. I like a more acidic flavor. The only time I slice the raw cherry tomato is if I'm making a BLT.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I usually cut them in 1/2 ( to avoid the explosion)
But, if Im making a salad to take to someones house , Ill leave them hole so it wont soggy up the rest of the salad with its juices.

Back
Top Bottom