Do you believe that multi vitamins work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

georgevan

Senior Cook
I have wondered that for a long time. It would be a waste of a lot of money over time if they didn't work because they are expensive.

They only work if you have a vitamin or mineral deficiency. The only way to know if you do is to have your blood tested for specific vitamins and minerals. If you take more water-soluble vitamins (like vitamin C) than you need, it just makes expensive pee. If you take more fat-soluble vitamins than you need, they can accumulate in the body and cause problems.

I take a prescription multivitamin because I have nutrient absorption issues due to medical problems; they're covered by insurance, so they're not very expensive. Prescriptions are manufactured to strict specifications, so they contain what's on the label. Over-the-counter meds and vitamins/minerals are not regulated by the FDA and studies have shown that sometimes they don't contain what the label says.

Most people who are in general good health and eat a diet mostly based on less-processed foods get all the vitamins and minerals they need.

They only work if you have a vitamin or mineral deficiency. The only way to know if you do is to have your blood tested for specific vitamins and minerals. If you take more water-soluble vitamins (like vitamin C) than you need, it just makes expensive pee. If you take more fat-soluble vitamins than you need, they can accumulate in the body and cause problems.

I take a prescription multivitamin because I have nutrient absorption issues due to medical problems; they're covered by insurance, so they're not very expensive. Prescriptions are manufactured to strict specifications, so they contain what's on the label. Over-the-counter meds and vitamins/minerals are not regulated by the FDA and studies have shown that sometimes they don't contain what the label says.

Most people who are in general good health and eat a diet mostly based on less-processed foods get all the vitamins and minerals they need.

Thanks. The only question is when people get older their body needs change.

Thanks. The only question is when people get older their body needs change.
That's true, but that doesn't mean that you guess at what you need. Your doctor should do a complete blood panel (CBC, a basic blood test) to determine whether you need any supplements. If you do, I suggest getting a prescription for the reasons I described above.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Discuss Cooking mobile app

I believe they can cause more problems than they solve when taken in large amounts or multivitamins as insurance on nutrition instead of eating nutritiously.
There are a few audio files and videos on using supplements.
https://nutritionfacts.org/audio/what-about-vitamin-supplements/

I take B12, D3, and iodine.
B12 because I don't eat meat. D3 because I live further north and don't get enough sun. Iodine (not too much not too little) because I don't eat seafood or fish, or seaweed (or milk).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom