Eggplant quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
i know that it should be fresh and light when bought

last weekend i made fried eggplants.
today again.
last time it was amazing
today..
pretty lame and not very tasty at all..

perhaps the farmer picked the eggplant too early?
it didn't had sweetness and taste..

You don't say if the eggplants were purchased at the same time? You also don't mention how they were stored?

Eggplants will lose their "freshness" over time but I shouldn't think a week would make that much difference, a bit of course, but not a lot.

I also don't think of eggplants as with a 'sweetness', more a savoury, no?

hello
good eggplants has some nice sweetness in them

i have waited only two days before cooking

the same with the second eggplant

i bought them week after week from a very good produce shop

is there such a thing as unripe eggplants?

Last edited:
Yes, there is such a thing as unripe eggplant. Last year I picked a couple as they were touching the ground and I didn't want the bugs to get into them. They were definitely unripe. Hard, bitter, even with/after cooking they didn't softened.

You really don't want ripe eggplants, at least of most varieties. As they ripen, the seeds develop more, and the fruits harden, and turn bitter, usually turning yellow - this is what you have to do when saving seeds. Some small eggplants, such as Thai and Indian eggplants, develop the seeds early, and don't get bitter, even with the large seeds, until they turn yellow.

I have grown at least 42 varieties of eggplants, with at least 2 more coming this year! I don't like the larger eggplants as much as the smaller, Asian style varieties varieties. They are more spongy, and they are the ones that gave EP the bad rap, for being bitter, and we were always instructed to salt, and drain the juices from, in old books. That must be the type you are talking about that should be fresh and "light" when you buy it. When most of those varieties are unripe, they should be very dark, and when you cut in, seeds should be almost invisible. When they start ripening, the skin gets lighter in color, and the seeds start turning brown, and many start turning bitter. Even a favorite Asian variety of mine (Ichiban, always my earliest) gets that bitterness, so I have to pick them when close to black. Good thing is, this has been bred out of many types, though much of the flavor has been, too! Every white variety I have tried has been relatively flavorless. The lighter purple varieties are some of my favorites, with good flavor, and not bitter, even when picked a little too late (easy to loose them in large plants!). Most are firm varieties, that don't turn mushy as fast as the larger, spongy types.

Then there's the Thai bitter eggplant, that you use for the bitterness! Just about 1/2" , and you let them turn yellowish. This is a different species, which I only grew twice - they become large trees, and I got years worth of 1/2 cup portions, to add to Thai curries (keeps forever vacuum sealed). Asian markets now carry them occasionally.

Last edited:
i know that it should be fresh and light when bought

last weekend i made fried eggplants.
today again.
last time it was amazing
today..
pretty lame and not very tasty at all..
perhaps the farmer picked the eggplant too early?
it didn't had sweetness and taste..

Do not put the blame on the ingredient OR the farmer. Think first about how you cooked them.
Did you use exactly the same oil?
Was the oil at exactly the same temperature?
Did you season the eggplants exactly the same as last week?
Did you undercook/overcook the eggplants this week?
When eggplants are not completely ripe, they are slightly green. The only difference I have noticed is that they are slightly more bitter and need to be cooked a little longer.

Do not put the blame on the ingredient OR the farmer. Think first about how you cooked them.
Did you use exactly the same oil?
Was the oil at exactly the same temperature?
Did you season the eggplants exactly the same as last week?
Did you undercook/overcook the eggplants this week?
When eggplants are not completely ripe, they are slightly green. The only difference I have noticed is that they are slightly more bitter and need to be cooked a little longer.

i think it was the same oil, not sure.
it's grape seed oil from italy.
about the temperature i'm not sure, too.

the rest was the same like last time.
i first bake them and then fry in a shallow oil..
tnx

ps
i bought another eggplant yesterday and plan to make it again.

maybe it's because i didn't let the baked eggplant slices cool before frying?
i don't think so buy i'm asking anyway
the time before i did waited....

have a nice day or evening

I have a question for you SEEING-TO-BELIEVE - why do you bake the slices before frying them? I've seen some twice cooked recipes before, but not baked, then fried.

When I fry EP, I start with raw slices, and the time frying them cooks them plenty.

hello
i bake, them fry a bit because otherwise there is a lot of splatter and also it takes a long time = a lot of splatter....

maybe i'm the only one who does this that way.
i've many unique cooking methods

Back
Top Bottom