Eggplant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I want to make Julia's moussaka recipe later this week when I have time. Got the stuff for it, using impossible beef instead of lamb. When the recipe says eggplant skins, how do you peel eggplant? Just use a potato peeler or...? Can't remember having peeled moussaka the last time I made it, but I think was the Joy of Cooking recipe instead.

I would just use a sharp knife and remove the skin alfter slicing it into your slabs.

Older eggplants benefit from peeling as the skins can be tough and sometimes bitter. Young eggplant from the garden have tender skins and you can leave them on. Your longer asian style eggplants also usually have a thinner skin and can be left on,

I use a peeler and peel it in stripes leaving about 1/3rd of the peel, then when I slice it there are some areas with and some without peel.
If I don't peel it at all and put the slices in a dish, they are tough and don't break easily. It's up to you.

I combine the two ideas above. If very fresh, I leave the skins on. I also will use a thin-skinned variety. However, if I peel them, I use the peeler and take about 2/3 of the skins off in strips.

I bake my eggplant per David Rosengarten, one of the original FN hosts. Then, slice and quickly fry it. After that, I peel the skin off the slices before putting the dish together. I've never tried Julia's recipe, but I love his!

I just use a wide potato peeler for mine. Sometimes I peel it in 'stripes', like blissful mentioned and sometimes I peel it completely.

One of my all time favorite eggplant recipes is Alton Brown's 'Eggplant Pasta'. It blew me away.. I need to make it again soon.

I’m a stripper! 🤭

1715686097488.jpeg

Eggplant is one of those vegetables that I try to like but in reality I just like the breading, tomato sauce, cheese, and sausage that it’s usually buried in. 🤭

You would if you are allergic to it. Trust me.
No good Sicilian, which I am, as were my mother and grandmother before me, would ever peel an eggplant. You would not only be removing nutrients, but the skin is what holds the interior together.

If you were allergic to eggplant, why on earth would you eat it? Could someone be allergic to just the skin? I find that hard to believe.

No good Sicilian, which I am, as were my mother and grandmother before me, would ever peel an eggplant. You would not only be removing nutrients, but the skin is what holds the interior together.

If you were allergic to eggplant, why on earth would you eat it? Could someone be allergic to just the skin? I find that hard to believe.
It's the skin only, same with pumpkin guts. Both make me and DD itch like he//.

It's the skin only, same with pumpkin guts. Both make me and DD itch like he//.
Well, you're not supposed to rub it on your body!

Seriously, I understand. I get the same reaction from fresh tarragon.

Just out of curiosity, what dish do you make with pumpkin guts?

Well this is quite refreshing to read! I was starting to think I was the only person in the world who didn't like eggplant! (Or Aubergine as we call it in the UK). I suspect my main issue is the skin. I find it revolting. The insides seem to turn to mush so I basically avoid them. (I never make Moussaka for this reason, despite all the other ingredients and the general concept being quite appealing.) I doubt the eggplants I am finding in my local shops are the best kind in any case. (No shortage by the way, and they even do "baby" ones, which I tried, and also found unpleasant.)

My father "loved" them breaded and fried. That's how I was introduced to them. I still much prefer them this way. Think of them as 'creamy' inside a beautifully crisp coating.
Frying them in butter is also (to me) a prerequisite. Only a tad sprinkle of salt is then needed.
I also once made a "sandwich" with some fried eggplant - horribly messy but sooo scrumptious! Only did them that one time and have never forgotten them.

Back
Top Bottom