Escargot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Love snails/escargot. Always have a can on hand. Being alone now I wait for DIL and granddaughter to help me polish them off.

I didn't watch the video but just in case it's not mentioned be sure to rinse from the can several times. I open the can in the morning and rinse and change the water several times during the day. Gets rid of the metal taste that can often happen with them.

Yes, I make my own garlic butter with fine chopped scallions and also sprinkle with parmesan to finish. Baguette to sop up the butter is de rigueur!

She? As in our daughter? No. She is not a fan of mushrooms either. I actually have to make Chicken Ala King minus the mushrooms for her.

Ummmmm...what is a sea snail?
Salt water snails. There are lots of kinds. Whelks are an obvious kind. I have never tried abalone, but they do seem to fit the term. They look like land snails, but they usually have more colourful shells than terrestrial snails. I think think they have more flavour than escargot.

Tarnation taxy, it took me 35 minutes.... saw an escape hatch and got of the rabbit sea snail (water) hole.

I don't believe I've had abalone either, pretty sure I've had whelks of course but honestly don't remember. Would have been quite young.

tape dispenser.png

Abalone is very similar to conch. We have used abalone in Craig's recipe for conch fritters, as well as in the same preparation as cracked conch.

I had sea snails on vacation in Spain. The hotel was on a bay, right across the street from the beach. One afternoon we were sitting on the patio having drinks. All the waters were out in the shallow part of the water with their trousers rolled up. They were picking snails out of the water. Those snails were served at supper that night. Oh my goodness, they were soooo good.

I thought in New Jersey, the term for sea snails is Scongili. At least according to a Rockford Files rerun I saw the other night.

Eric, Austin Tx.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom