Fishy Friday -12/17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Baked Breaded Pollock Filet, Mac ' n American Cheese with Stewed Tomato...
Dollops of Cocktail Sauce...

Pollock, Baked .jpg

We've put off our departure until (probably) Sunday, so Himself did a pickup run for broasted chicken and jo-jo potatoes. I opened up a couple cans of Niblets corn (Himself can eat an entire can on his own). Might dip into the bag of chocolate chip cookies that are in our travel snack basket...

IMG_20211217_202226841_HDR.jpg

We've put off our departure until (probably) Sunday, so Himself did a pickup run for broasted chicken and jo-jo potatoes. I opened up a couple cans of Niblets corn (Himself can eat an entire can on his own). Might dip into the bag of chocolate chip cookies that are in our travel snack basket...

View attachment 50421

Looks deeeelish. I wish there was somewhere around here that sold broasted chicken. I remember that from my childhood and I loved it.

Tonight I tried out a packet of Szechuan pepper stir fry sauce from a company called Blue Dragon. I have been reluctant to try it, since there is tomato. But, I finally decided to risk it. I have looked at the ingredients. Tomato is #3 on the list, so it can't be more than 1/3 of the total. So, less than 140 g / 3 = less than 47 grams for the whole meal and I eat less than half. I will find out if that is an acceptably low amount of cooked tomato. I used it with some cubed chicken breast and some "Stir fry vegi mix". Oh yeah, that was worth doing. It was really, really good. Nice level of "heat". This will definitely going into the rotation. It was also quick and easy.

Szechuan Pepper chicken and vegi stir fry on brown rice and white wine.jpg Szechuan Pepper chicken and vegi stir fry on brown rice.jpg

taxy, it is my understanding that KFC and the US ChicFilA actually 'broast' their chicken. They just don't use the term as it is trademarked.

And I use a lot of Blue Dragon products, :angel: will have to find that one! Thanks!

Last edited:
A late afternoon doc appointment had us stopping for hot dogs, on the way home.

Had the last of our Aldi 7up cake for dessert.

Ross

taxy, it is my understanding that KFC and the US ChicFilA actually 'broast' their chicken. They just don't use the term as it is trademarked.

And I use a lot of Blue Dragon products, :angel: will have to find that one! Thanks!

Well, if that is the case, then it's not what I want. I remember my mum would get a whole broasted chicken. And those broasted potato wedges were really good too.

CG, when you mention broasted chicken, is it like KFC?

"Broasting" is deep frying in a pressure cooker.

Broaster is a brand name. KFC and others have their own equipment not Broasters'.

It is the way/style of cooking.

CG, when you mention broasted chicken, is it like KFC?

taxy, I haven't had KFC chicken in decades, so I can't compare. However, I can say that the skin on the broasted chicken we get is the only skin I will eat...on the day we buy it. It is shatteringly crisp and not the least bit greasy. And the potatoes? So Good!

The place we buy this from changed owners a couple years ago. The first time we got chicken after the change, the chicken was overcooked and dry. Rather than have Himself drive three times as far to the next place that sells it, we decided to give the old restaurant another chance. I talked to the owner about our previous batch. He said that the old equipment was on its last leg when he bought the restaurant and had replaced everything. Well, it works perfectly! We're putting that restaurant back into regular rotation. Next time, though, I'll be sure to have sour cream on hand. The previous owners would include individual containers of sour cream to dip the potatoes in - and boy is that yummy! No sour cream this time, but they did include some freebie coleslaw. I'd rather have the sour cream.

taxy, I haven't had KFC chicken in decades, so I can't compare. However, I can say that the skin on the broasted chicken we get is the only skin I will eat...on the day we buy it. It is shatteringly crisp and not the least bit greasy. And the potatoes? So Good!

The place we buy this from changed owners a couple years ago. The first time we got chicken after the change, the chicken was overcooked and dry. Rather than have Himself drive three times as far to the next place that sells it, we decided to give the old restaurant another chance. I talked to the owner about our previous batch. He said that the old equipment was on its last leg when he bought the restaurant and had replaced everything. Well, it works perfectly! We're putting that restaurant back into regular rotation. Next time, though, I'll be sure to have sour cream on hand. The previous owners would include individual containers of sour cream to dip the potatoes in - and boy is that yummy! No sour cream this time, but they did include some freebie coleslaw. I'd rather have the sour cream.

Yeah, I remember loving those potatoes. I also remember the chicken not having any breading. But, those memories are from over 50 years ago. :ohmy:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom