Fried chicken screwed up..what did I do wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
“Marinated overnight in buttermilk and 1/4 cup hot sauce”

A waste of time and resources.

“King Arthur flour with a Tbsp baking powder”

Use AP Four.

. “Vegetable oil in Lodge enameled Dutch oven, candy thermometer in the oil heated to 340f”

Drop chicken at 360*-370*. (Don’t panic! It will drop to the 330*-340* fairly quickly. Maintain 340*-350*

,” but the crust was way too dark and tasted burned”

This was caused by the buttermilk. Dairy products burn quickly. .

“ Breasts then cooked at same temps, outside was also overdone when the center was under 100 degrees”. Had to peel the skin off”

Buttermilk again.

If you can’t resist soaking in buttermilk…then wash it off. Let chicken dry!
Season the chicken and the flour.

Good luck!

Good tips uncle Bob.
I did the buttermilk soak once and hated it. Never did it again.

This is the tried and true recipe that I've used many times, and so has my family. It has always come out great!
And it uses the buttermilk soak. Never once been mushy.

https://www.mamas-southern-cooking.com/fried-chicken-recipe.html

Bookmarked! I think letting the pieces cool down from a constant 350F to 300F for the duration of the cooking is a great tip. Probably avoids burnt coatings. I'd be using the cast iron skillet method and wonder how it would cook in just one inch of oil. Hopefully just as well as being submerged.

Bookmarked! I think letting the pieces cool down from a constant 350F to 300F for the duration of the cooking is a great tip. Probably avoids burnt coatings. I'd be using the cast iron skillet method and wonder how it would cook in just one inch of oil. Hopefully just as well as being submerged.

We've discussed this before Caslon. You need to have the oil come up to half the thickness of the food. When you turn it over, it will have the same effect as deep frying.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom