Frying onions in the oven, any good video that shows it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you frying onions that are battered?
Are you frying plain onions using oil?
Are you frying plain onions using water?
Have you considered using a crock pot or slow cooker instead for caramelized onions?
The question is too vague to know.

I haven't seen any videos. But, I am interested in ways to caramelize onions with no fat. I want to dehydrate them and they will keep a lot longer with no oil or fat to go rancid.

Are you frying onions that are battered?
Are you frying plain onions using oil?
Are you frying plain onions using water?
Have you considered using a crock pot or slow cooker instead for caramelized onions?
The question is too vague to know.
what it means by 'battered'?
just diced onions in oil
i dont want a crockpot
just in the pan

what it means by 'battered'?
just diced onions in oil
i dont want a crockpot
just in the pan
Battered means, the onion slice or round is dipped in batter, (flour/water/egg), then dipped in bread crumbs. Onions that are battered and breaded are often found in the frozen food department at our grocery stores. Those are just baked in a pan in the oven to cook and get crisp.

Just diced onions with a light coating of oil (or without) can be put on/in a pan and roasted in the oven.

If you use a lot of oil, then in a pan on the stove where you can keep an eye on it. You wouldn't put a pan of oil into the oven. Frying onions.

Or with a little oil (or without and use water to loosen them) in a pan on the stove, you can saute them or caramelize them.

Caramelized onions, quickly, oil free:
Caramelized onions, slow cooked, oil free: https://www.cookistry.com/2011/03/crock-pot-caramelized-onions.html

Why exactly do you want to do this ? Knowing this will help with answers

”Or with a little oil (or without and use water to loosen them) in a pan on the stove, you can saute them or caramelize them.”

And just to clarify, you can’t sauté anything in water because sauté literally means to cook quickly using fat. You can cook food in water, however.

Last edited:
Battered means, the onion slice or round is dipped in batter, (flour/water/egg), then dipped in bread crumbs. Onions that are battered and breaded are often found in the frozen food department at our grocery stores. Those are just baked in a pan in the oven to cook and get crisp.

Just diced onions with a light coating of oil (or without) can be put on/in a pan and roasted in the oven.

If you use a lot of oil, then in a pan on the stove where you can keep an eye on it. You wouldn't put a pan of oil into the oven. Frying onions.

Or with a little oil (or without and use water to loosen them) in a pan on the stove, you can saute them or caramelize them.

Caramelized onions, quickly, oil free:
Caramelized onions, slow cooked, oil free: https://www.cookistry.com/2011/03/crock-pot-caramelized-onions.html
thank you!
did you know about all the links beforehand?

And just to clarify, you can’t sauté anything in water because sauté literally means to cook quickly using fat. You can cook food in water, however.
I'm sorry but my french training as a chef makes me by default give you my take on this basic misunderstanding and I think it's important for posterity to maintain these definitions. :brows:

Sauteing is a dry cooking method where a hot pan with a little oil is used to cook foods and generally small pieces until cooked or caramelized. Replacing oil with water is a wet cooking method where either boiling, simmering or steaming facilitates the cooking.

Can caramelizing take place using water and the answer is yes but end up with a different product in texture and taste, so it will depend what the end product is used for.

I make a red onion jam that uses basically steaming and evaporation to facilitate caramelization which produces a meltingly soft product where no distinction of onion form remains, which in contrast would be totally different for sauteed onions in fat for say a steak for example.

For the red onion jam we start by slicing onion very thinly and volume here helps. I take a tall SS pot similar to a stock pot but with a thicker bottom. I do start with some oil and if the pot is 12" high the sliced onion would come almost to the top and I'm not actually adding any water and I start with a high heat and continually stir so not to burn the bottom layer. Steam will begin to be generated and at this point I turn down the heat to medium and place a lid over the pot. I will stir occasionally. The water that is released and turned into steam will collapse the onion over time to having an inch or so of onion mixture. This is when the caramelization can take place and is facilitated by the sugars in the onion in the absence of water or steam, at this point it begin to create a fond by sticking to the bottom of the pan and creating a browning effect which must be moved constantly so it doesn't burn. Adding a little water and allowing for evaporation takes place will loosen the fond and gets added into the onion mixture and the more that step is repeated the more caramelization takes place. Basically we go from 12-18 loose cups of onion down to around 1 cup or less. Instead of water during these last steps I add port to add more complex flavor and sugar which helps the caramelization as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom