Funny Looking Safety Protection Device.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a metal mesh glove I bought from "Chefs" catalog. I use it mostly for using with my Bron mandolin, but also when I use my box grater. It can be worn on either the right or left hand, and washed with the clothes. I always found the finger guard that came with the mandolin awkward but this does the trick for me. For the above purposes I use it on my right hand, but if I'm doing knife work, on my left.

I have a metal mesh glove I bought from "Chefs" catalog. I use it mostly for using with my Bron mandolin, but also when I use my box grater. It can be worn on either the right or left hand, and washed with the clothes. I always found the finger guard that came with the mandolin awkward but this does the trick for me. For the above purposes I use it on my right hand, but if I'm doing knife work, on my left.

That's a really good idea! I too have found it awkward to use my mandolin, particularly when I get down to the last part of the item being processed, because I rely on carefulness to avoid cutting myself and at the end it gets ridiculously slow to do it safely.

Unfortunately I usually drink wine while cooking, and not only does careful go away, you bleed more copiously! The glove helps!

Daizymae, I've cut myself with both sharp and dull knives. To me, the only difference is that a cut from a dull knife hurts more. In my opinion, the main reason people cut themselves while using a knife is because they become careless or distracted. That includes cutting faster than you are truly comfortable going.

I'd bet that you would tire of using any safety devices after a while.

I betcha I would get tired of using it too. But, the DH wouldn't. This is something I probably want to get. DH relies on being careful and so slow, I can't stand to watch him cut stuff. He is a cautious person to begin with; is known to have more patience than me; :whistling and he has no depth perception.

I betcha I would get tired of using it too. But, the DH wouldn't. This is something I probably want to get. DH relies on being careful and so slow, I can't stand to watch him cut stuff. He is a cautious person to begin with; is known to have more patience than me; :whistling and he has no depth perception.

Shrek won't watch me when I'm using a knife, I make him nervous. I told him it's just because I am left-handed that he sees me holding the knife wrong.

I appreciate everyone's input, whether you are pro- or anti-glove. And many thanx to you, Timothy, for the link.

It is true that carelessness & excessive speed & distractedness are the basic cause of dreadful left-hand cuts. But because non-professional human cooks sooner or later break their own usually-observed rules, because of circumstances, and because the results can be disastrous (far worse than my present pain plus having to type slowly with two fingers, here) I'm going to buy a mesh glove or maybe one of the cheaper kevlar ones and will report back.

You are right, Andy, that people will tire of using such awkward safety devices. However, I think that probably applies to fulltime food-preparers. I'd hazard a guess that as far as us amateurs are concerned, that may not always be the case.

There's a reason why student skydivers/parachutists are forced to wear hard helmets, but those who have obtained their jumping licenses are not. I, having been a student jumper once, landed on the concrete runway, bounced and then landed on my head. There is still a mark on my helmet for me to "admire". :ermm:

Unfortunately I usually drink wine while cooking, and not only does careful go away, you bleed more copiously! The glove helps!

You should try mise en place cooking if you're not already doing it. It means "everything in place," and you've seen it on TV programs where the TV chef has all the ingredients (or many of them) set out in little dishes, all of them ready to add to the cooking at the appropriate time. I just love this style of cooking! It's particularly appropriate when you have company if you're an entertainer chef like me, preferring to have my company join me in the kitchen for wine and snacks while I'm preparing the meal.

The idea is to do all your cutting right at the beginning of your cooking session, like before you've gotten into the wine too much! :)

I do a lot of Asian cooking and some of the recipes require huge amounts of preparation, particularly chopping or slicing fresh ingredients. In fact I have a saying: "Asian chef chops for two hours, then cooks for 10 minutes." :chef:

So do your chopping early and then put away your knives when you reach the "relaxed" stages of your cooking. :)

Use sharp knifes.
Watch that you distracted nothing.
Will concentrate on process.

Often cut fingers from that one eye looks in the TV, another at a chopping board, and in ears phone.

And metal gloves such are rather inconvenient.
Them use for opening of oysters and cutting of all sea hedgehogs.

Contain the first-aid set on kitchen with hydrogen peroxide, antiseptics and bandage.

Back
Top Bottom