Hamburger rolls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
I’m looking for hamburgers rolls recipe that doesn’t have any dairy.
Any help is appreciated.

The addition of milk, butter, sour cream, etc... will give a more tender crust and crumb to the finished product but it is not essential to the structure of the recipe.

I would just swap out the milk for water or the butter for oil and make the recipe as directed.

Good luck!

I've made the bun recipe taxlady linked above several times and we love it, as well as the neighbors I've shared them with. Last year, one neighbor asked me to make a batch for the pulled pork she was making for a party. Some of the guests ate just the buns, with honey from our hives that I had given to the hostess. And it's dairy-free.

Forgot the picture.
1012191759a.jpg

GG, I'm glad to see this recipe again that you've recommended many times. I'm now interested in making them so I've printed it out.

I'd guess that many would be surprised to hear I've never made a yeast bread in my long cooking life. By golly, I think I'm getting my cooking MO-JO back. :chef:

GG, I'm glad to see this recipe again that you've recommended many times. I'm now interested in making them so I've printed it out.

I'd guess that many would be surprised to hear I've never made a yeast bread in my long cooking life. By golly, I think I'm getting my cooking MO-JO back. :chef:
I think you'll really like them, Kay - they're basically yeast rolls :yum: And it's so EASY! [emoji16] I use a scale to weigh them so they're about the same size - around 2 oz. You can make slider buns with 1.5 oz. And I flatten them slightly when I put them on the baking sheet, so they're a little wider and not as tall.

Glad to hear you're getting excited about cooking again! [emoji813]

Yes. That's why I flatten them lightly before I put them in the oven. Otherwise, they will develop a dome and have too much bread on the top bun (after slicing) for my taste.

Made a note of that on my hard copy recipe!;)

GG, do they have a firmer texture than the standard soft burger buns in the grocery?

Made a note of that on my hard copy recipe!;)

GG, do they have a firmer texture than the standard soft burger buns in the grocery?
Yes, I think they're a little more firm. It's the very fresh flavor that makes all the difference, though. You might not want to go back to store-bought after you make these ;)

I have a word tjat will change how you think about yeast dough: Spudnuts. Just do a google search on it. Though it was originally created to make fabulous doughnuts, I have family members, me included, that have repurposed the dough to make cinnamon rolls, bread, and dinner rolls. All of those came out amazing. It would make really great burger, and hot dog buns. There is no dairy in them. There is mashed potato. But you can mash them with water, or use instant smashed spuds to make it. Anyone who hasn't tried spudnuts is cheating themselves out of a great multi-purpose pastry dough.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I have a word tjat will change how you think about yeast dough: Spudnuts. Just do a google search on it. Though it was originally created to make fabulous doughnuts, I have family members, me included, that have repurposed the dough to make cinnamon rolls, bread, and dinner rolls. All of those came out amazing. It would make really great burger, and hot dog buns. There is no dairy in them. There is mashed potato. But you can mash them with water, or use instant smashed spuds to make it. Anyone who hasn't tried spudnuts is cheating themselves out of a great multi-purpose pastry dough.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, when I was a little girl, the Spudnut shop was the every Sunday morning stop on our way home from church. Ohhhhh how I loved them and I haven't seen them in many years. Way more calories than I want right now, but thanks for the memory. :)

There are still three spudnut doughnut shops in Oxnard CA, or there were before the pandemic panic. Who knows what's left now?

As far as bread goes, I love sourdough and with a Boudin SF bakery close by with a selection like that below, who needs to make their own?

5c3c19830449b16613c34cd81e569cdd.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom