How are you feeling now about..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Shh, shh, Kayelle, relax. I think I know what Linda means - because there are days I feel the same way. It's not that she isn't going to take it seriously, just that she's so tired of dealing with it at this point. And I know personally that I'm tired of seeing so many people not take it seriously in that they go out without masks, get too close for my comfort, and generally act like there isn't any danger in our situation. I'm tired of sheltering - which I do except to go out and grocery shop. Which has gone back to weekly, because going 2+ weeks made me miss out on good sales on my off week. :LOL: When I'm out I mask up, wipe down the shopping cart, sanitize my hands, steering wheel, the zip lock bag I keep the wipes in in the car, and anything else I might have touched. Then I use that wipe to clean the outside door handle and the handle on the shopping cart at the next store (in case they've run out of wipes when I get into the store entry). Like Linda, I'm totally done with the whole danged thing.

Except I'll still shelter, mask, wipe, rinse, repeat :glare: until there is a safe, effective vaccine - or herd immunity - or all the people who fail to play by the rules drop dead :mrgreen: no longer posing a threat to those of us who shelter, mask...

I don't know if there will ever be a long lasting vaccine, but I am sure there will be something to mitigate C-19. I'm tired of staying in, but I do it.

Except I'll still shelter, mask, wipe, rinse, repeat :glare: until there is a safe, effective vaccine - or herd immunity - or all the people who fail to play by the rules drop dead :mrgreen: no longer posing a threat to those of us who shelter, mask...

I believe that is about the most we can do, at this time..

Protect yourself as best you can..

Ross

I personally don't know what to think anymore. Who to believe anymore. Who to trust anymore.

I've just been going about my daily life as much as I can and desperately trying not to put too much stock into what the 'experts' are saying, because it's been very contradictory. One day everything's fine. The next day cases are going up. The next day cases are on the decline. Wear a mask, it helps. Don't bother with masks, they don't make a difference. It's fine to go out in public. It's best to stay in.

I'll be honest and say I'm about totally done with the whole dang thing.

I'm not sure which "experts" you're listening to, but remember that politicians are not experts on public health, infectious disease or epidemiology. Guidance from these experts about what to do to prevent further spread has not changed in months. Check the CDC website for more information.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/prevention.html

Regarding states re-opening, some are abiding by expert advice and some are not. It's pretty easy to find out which are not - the number of cases in those states has been rising in the past week or two, corresponding with a two-week incubation period after they began re-opening. Just don't follow their advice, even if it's from your own governor. Follow this advice from the CDC.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/deciding-to-go-out.html

Last edited:
Oh really Linda? Well the fact is Covid is not done with you or me or anyone else. How can you possibly justify such a comment is beyond my understanding of a reasonable person. Would you care to explain?

I don't mean I'm done with the virus, because I very well know it's still out there. I still wear my stupid mask when I go out in public (WHEN I go out, which is rare) and I still use hand sanitizer anytime I pump gas and directly after grocery shopping before I leave the parking lot and I still wipe down my counters with disinfectant anytime I bring something in from the outside (groceries, a package I've ordered, etc) and at work every morning, I wipe down all the door handles and toilet handles and light switches with alcohol, etc etc etc, and I've washed my hands so many times that my skin is cracking.

I'm just tired of all of it. I want some freaking normalcy. And if that makes me an unreasonable person, then so be it. I guess I am.

Shh, shh, Kayelle, relax. I think I know what Linda means - because there are days I feel the same way. It's not that she isn't going to take it seriously, just that she's so tired of dealing with it at this point. And I know personally that I'm tired of seeing so many people not take it seriously in that they go out without masks, get too close for my comfort, and generally act like there isn't any danger in our situation. I'm tired of sheltering - which I do except to go out and grocery shop. Which has gone back to weekly, because going 2+ weeks made me miss out on good sales on my off week. :LOL: When I'm out I mask up, wipe down the shopping cart, sanitize my hands, steering wheel, the zip lock bag I keep the wipes in in the car, and anything else I might have touched. Then I use that wipe to clean the outside door handle and the handle on the shopping cart at the next store (in case they've run out of wipes when I get into the store entry). Like Linda, I'm totally done with the whole danged thing.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I'm not sure which "experts" you're listening to, but remember that politicians are not experts on public health, infectious disease or epidemiology. Guidance from these experts about what to do to prevent further spread has not changed in months. Check the CDC website for more information.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/prevention.html

Regarding states re-opening, some are abiding by expert advice and some are not. It's pretty easy to find out which are not - the number of cases in those states has been rising in the past week or two, corresponding with a two-week incubation period after they began re-opening. Just don't follow their advice, even if it's from your own governor. Follow this advice from the CDC.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/deciding-to-go-out.html

Me? Listen to politicians? :LOL:

No, I mean the CDC, the WHO and our local news who reports updates every day.

I believe that is about the most we can do, at this time..

Protect yourself as best you can..

Ross

Yes, don't stop to: - 'shelter, mask, maintain distance, sanitize, etc'.

It is without a doubt the best & only way to protect yourself at this time AND particularly, to literally halt the continuous spread of this deadly virus.

That's what we did, and it worked very well for us here in western Canada.

Me? Listen to politicians? [emoji38]

No, I mean the CDC, the WHO and our local news who reports updates every day.
Local news is nothing but death and destruction, a waste of time, as far as I'm concerned. The only useful thing they talk about is the weather and I can get that in other ways.

As I said, the CDC guidance has not changed in months. I don't know why you think it has. Other than how to minimize your risk, information from the CDC and the WHO is typically about new research results. None of that is intended to be used for decision-making. It's simply to allow people, especially clinicians, to keep up with new information about the disease.

It is a brand-new disease after all, and it isn't behaving like any other disease doctors and researchers know about. So there's a flood of information coming from around the world about their findings, most of which hasn't gone through the peer-review process yet, because the subject is of such great importance it can't wait. But again, it's not meant to be used for decision-making by non-health professionals.

Local news is nothing but death and destruction, a waste of time, as far as I'm concerned. The only useful thing they talk about is the weather and I can get that in other ways.

As I said, the CDC guidance has not changed in months. I don't know why you think it has. Other than how to minimize your risk, information from the CDC and the WHO is typically about new research results. None of that is intended to be used for decision-making. It's simply to allow people, especially clinicians, to keep up with new information about the disease.

It is a brand-new disease after all, and it isn't behaving like any other disease doctors and researchers know about. So there's a flood of information coming from around the world about their findings, most of which hasn't gone through the peer-review process yet, because the subject is of such great importance it can't wait. But again, it's not meant to be used for decision-making by non-health professionals.

Can't argue with that one.

I guess with all the information being thrown our way every day, it gets confusing. And these days I'm more easily confused anyway. Plus there are some things going on in my personal life that haven't been easy to deal with, so that just makes my mood worse.

Anyway, I didn't mean to upset anyone with what I said. I was venting, which I don't get the chance to do very often. I try to keep things upbeat and positive, mostly for my son, so I keep it all inside.

I feel very resigned to the fact that this will linger on and on. After months of faithfully staying in self-quarantining, maintaining social distance, using antiseptic wipes, CLEANING MY HOUSE (b/c the housekeeper is also maintaining social distancing,) I am called back to work. That part is fine. However the adults in our building rarely wear masks, no one is social distancing with fidelity, nothing is sanitized properly, etc. Granted we have few in the building at any given time (considering the side of the building.) Regardless, I am very concerned that I cannot avoid the virus at this point. I don't see friends who are self-quarantining with fidelity and I am terrified of "carrying" c-19 home. :ermm:

My latest facepalm is our local school system did a survey to see what parents thought of reopening of schools. Rotating kids coming and going. All online. All in the building. Honestly, expecting kids of any age to social distance and keep on masks is a pipe dream. If they rotate then all staff are exposed to all kids, and everyone understands what that means as the staff member can then infect the next group rotating in. The biologist in me simply screams loudly inside my head. I feel that my words fall on deaf ears. At work, when I pushed that all wear masks, I was told, "Well...if you are afraid to be here, maybe you should call out." My response was "I'm not afraid to be here, but you should be as you are obviously not worried about passing or catching the virus." Sadly, I am in the minority on this mindset.

Can't argue with that one.

I guess with all the information being thrown our way every day, it gets confusing. And these days I'm more easily confused anyway. Plus there are some things going on in my personal life that haven't been easy to deal with, so that just makes my mood worse.

Anyway, I didn't mean to upset anyone with what I said. I was venting, which I don't get the chance to do very often. I try to keep things upbeat and positive, mostly for my son, so I keep it all inside.
I'm not upset - I'm sorry if I came across that way. I was just trying to offer you another way to look at what's going on. My therapist said they recommend that people don't spend more than 30 minutes a day getting the news. These last 3-4 years have been anxiety-provoking for many people. The last few months have just added to that.

If you think it might help, I've been using a free guided meditation app for years (there's a free version and a pay version) for relaxation, and especially to help me get to sleep. You can set it for different lengths of time and different background sounds while a voice gives you something to concentrate on. It helps to interrupt those constantly running thoughts.

https://www.meditationoasis.com/apps

I'm not upset - I'm sorry if I came across that way. I was just trying to offer you another way to look at what's going on. My therapist said they recommend that people don't spend more than 30 minutes a day getting the news. These last 3-4 years have been anxiety-provoking for many people. The last few months have just added to that.

If you think it might help, I've been using a free guided meditation app for years (there's a free version and a pay version) for relaxation, and especially to help me get to sleep. You can set it for different lengths of time and different background sounds while a voice gives you something to concentrate on. It helps to interrupt those constantly running thoughts.

https://www.meditationoasis.com/apps

Constantly running thoughts, indeed. I'm already on medication to treat my anxiety and, you're correct, this just makes it worse. I can't shut my brain off. And sleep? I'm not sure what a good night's sleep is anymore. So perhaps this would be beneficial to me.

Last edited:
To date...by following the guidelines in all instances, still not even one case of Covid-19 in our facility. We just finished our second round of mandatory testing of 20% of employees and residents.

Nothing around me for 40 to 60 miles, and very little there. But it pains me to see people of any age congregating at beaches, bars, protest. churches,
and any other elective gatherings. I know the business sector is pushing to reopen the schools so the kids parent can return to work and the economy can recover.

But I'm concerned we may be going 3 steps forward and 2 steps back which will make the recovery take as long as any of the wars we've fought in the past. And influence our economy similarly in the aftermath. (and then it will be something else once we finally recover with a similar influence)

If anyone is paying attention to what the scientists are doing, please remember, that science always updates and changes when there is new data. If the new data contradicts what was previously hypothesized, then the hypothesis is changed. What I am reading always seems to say something like, "what we know so far".

If anyone is paying attention to what the scientists are doing, please remember, that science always updates and changes when there is new data. If the new data contradicts what was previously hypothesized, then the hypothesis is changed. What I am reading always seems to say something like, "what we know so far".
Exactly. And since this virus is so new, they're learning more about it every day. Also, be mindful that descriptions of studies in the popular media can be incomplete, inaccurate and misleading. So read carefully and check original sources. Or just let your doctor do that and ask their opinion.

I was just having a conversation about an article that mentioned 300 published studies on Covid-19 and described a few of them. The first one I clicked on turned out to be a letter to the editor of the New England Journal of Medicine where a group of doctors from one hospital reported some unusual findings in their Covid-19 patients. That's not a study - it's a report. Its purpose is to share their experience with other researchers. People shouldn't change their behavior until the actual guidance changes.

I don't mean I'm done with the virus, because I very well know it's still out there. I still wear my stupid mask when I go out in public (WHEN I go out, which is rare) and I still use hand sanitizer anytime I pump gas and directly after grocery shopping before I leave the parking lot and I still wipe down my counters with disinfectant anytime I bring something in from the outside (groceries, a package I've ordered, etc) and at work every morning, I wipe down all the door handles and toilet handles and light switches with alcohol, etc etc etc, and I've washed my hands so many times that my skin is cracking.

I'm just tired of all of it. I want some freaking normalcy. And if that makes me an unreasonable person, then so be it. I guess I am.
Thank you for explaining your comment Linda. I know everyone is really tired of all of it, but you have the good sense that many others don't when they say they are just done with it by throwing caution to the wind. I'm sick to death of people who just don't give a rat's a$$ anymore.

Last edited:
We are in the country so not much public near by. However, we do have to make those trips into town every couple weeks or so. The freezer is getting lots of activity with some old stuff coming out and new stuff (bread,etc) going in. One main thing that is different is all the doctor appointments from March, April and May were moved into June, some back to back and a surgery was postponed. Now we are just biding time for the OK to get that correcive surgery for my husband. And like I've told everyone else, good thing I like that guy.
And I just found out, fairly late last night, that my sister was exposed to the virus by a co-worker that assumed her symptoms were allergies. After months we had planned a sort of get-together for the weekend. That's off now.

Aw, Oldvine, I'm sorry you had to cancel the get together with your sister. I hope she didn't catch it. But, I think you are wise to cancel, better safe than sorry.

Back
Top Bottom