How long do you boil fresh chicken breasts before they are done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just did a couple but because the dang breasts are so big they look like they're off a pterodactyl, I cut mine in thirds. I left the thigh whole. Brought it up to a boil and then reduced and simmered still bubbling a little for 20 minutes. When I put the thermometer on it they were way over 165 and I sometimes have to wonder about that thermometer.

When I do a whole chicken at the boil, I do it for 45 or 50 minutes because they're so big now.

I've read things that say that can make them tough over boiling them but I have never found that to be the case. And when I do boil the whole chicken I'm doing it to make farmhouse chicken and noodles so it also simmers some more in the broth with the noodles and is always nice and tender.

I would say that they are done when they are white all the way through. I don't know what you are going to make with the cooked chicken breast(s), so I don't know if cutting the breast to look inside would interfere with your intended use. I will say that I would check visually and check with a thermometer.

Do you have an instant read thermometer? If not, I recommend you get one if you can. They're fairly inexpensive, starting at around $10.

Regardless of how you cook meats, there is something called carry-over. After removing the meat from the cooking vessel, there is still heat in the meat that continues to penetrate towards the center, raising the temperature. So, if 165ºF is the "safe" temperature for chicken breasts, you should remove them from the heat at a lower temperature (155ºF to 160ºF) and let them rest for 5-10 minutes. You can't do this with timing. You have to use temperature.

Never, ever boil chicken. Boiling protein just makes it super tough.

Gently poach your chicken breasts. I put chicken breasts into a pot, cover with chicken broth, bring to a boil, then turn it off and cover. They will be done in about 20 minutes.

Always cook to temperature, not time.
And use that water. Either in the recipe or for making stock.

Just to point out, for those that are unaware, there is a difference between boiling and simmering/poach.

the following is a quote from The Spruce Eats:

"Poaching is a culinary technique that involves cooking something in liquid with a temperature ranging from 140 F to 180 F. This compares with boiling, which happens at 212 F, and simmering, in which food is immersed in a cooking liquid with a temperature in the range between 180 F and 205 F'

I have not read the entire article but here is a link for those that would like to:
What does it Mean to Poach

Back
Top Bottom