How long does liquid broth keep in the frig?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you have a silicone muffin "tin", you can freeze pellets of the broth, so it's easier to get out an amount you need. It works with ice cube trays too. This is assuming that it is more broth than you want to use at once.

Any quantity for freezing is possible. Choose one or several.

eg - you opened a box of chicken broth - they are usually about 4 cups.
Simple math:-
You use 1.5 cups for a recipe and now have 2.5 cups left.
If you think you will only use maybe a tablespoon at a time (to mix a slurry with flour or corn starch) then freeze in an ice cube tray.

"generally speaking" an ice cube tray = about 2 cups (14 cubes)
7 cubes = 1/2 cup
1 cube = 1 Tablespoon.

Once frozen in the ice cube trays - you can pop them out and into a resealable bag. This helps prevent them from evaporating and makes it easier to grab 1, 2 however many you wish, for the next recipe.

You could just freeze the whole thing but another good reason for using an ice cube tray is that the little cubes melt faster! Win-win!!

medtran, entirely possible, I too have kept it for a fairly long but on the downside - on several occasions when going to use it have found it rather nasty and headed for the drain.

I make chicken soup quite often, Simple bullion. I keep it for two weeks easily. How ever you can taste the difference, the lack of freshness.

medtran, entirely possible, I too have kept it for a fairly long but on the downside - on several occasions when going to use it have found it rather nasty and headed for the drain.
I always give it a smell and pour a little out in another container before using.

It’s good for 4 days

skip the ice cube trays and freeze it flat in a ziplock bag. Just break off what you need.
I tried that. I prefer the smaller pieces I get from my silicone muffin "tin". Maybe if I were using more stock at once the break it off method would work.

Back
Top Bottom