Question on smoked ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another vote for freezing it in meal sized
portions.

Small amounts come in handy for seasoning greens, baked beans, scalloped potatoes, soups, frittatas, grilled ham and cheese sandwiches.🐷🐷🐷

Another vote for freezing it in meal sized
portions.

Small amounts come in handy for seasoning greens, baked beans, scalloped potatoes, soups, frittatas, grilled ham and cheese sandwiches.🐷🐷🐷
My vote, too. My boss gives us a nice Honeybaked Ham every Christmas and we eat some right away and then freeze the rest. In portioned slices, and then when the ham gets too raggedy to have nice slices, I chop it up and freeze.

I just made a killer pea soup last week with my last bag of Christmas ham.

I'm going against the trend.
If it is a properly smoked & dried ham, it can be left outside the fridge or freezer as the moisture content is too low for anything to grow in it.
If it's just smoked for a little while for flavour, then you need fridge/freezer

smoked ham.jpg
another ham.jpg
more ham.jpg

Badjak our Smoked Hams here are quite large and capable of several meals for the average family. They are quite moist and need to be refrigerated. They usually need to be further cooked although I think some are ready to eat. It depends on the brand.

Ah,
I was thinking of westphalian, serrano, parma, prosciutto and likewise types of ham ;)

The ones you describe will indeed not keep outside the refrigerator

Ah,
I was thinking of westphalian, serrano, parma, prosciutto and likewise types of ham ;)

The ones you describe will indeed not keep outside the refrigerator
When I lived in Denmark, my mum bought a ham that I believe was Westphallian. It was cured and was supposed to be fine to store outside of the fridge. We had to throw away a huge amount of expensive meat. It got maggots. *Shudder*

I'm going against the trend.
If it is a properly smoked & dried ham, it can be left outside the fridge or freezer as the moisture content is too low for anything to grow in it.
If it's just smoked for a little while for flavour, then you need fridge/freezer
In days gone by they used to talk about hearing the fat drip from the dry cured smoked hams hanging in the smokehouse or shed during the hot humid days of summer.
1695935240552.jpeg

These hams are still available, usually by mail, but difficult to afford and a bit of extra work to prepare.

Once soaked, scrubbed, boiled, and baked I would still refrigerate or freeze any leftovers.

Nah, I am good at math and science. Besides, they had a MEEmaw. I had a MehMAW. Get your memaw's straight. ;)

@Jusa Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory which I have seen three times. :LOL:
I grew up in the south and lots of people call their grandmothers memaw. Mine were called grandma, but memaw is pretty common.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom