How much more water does white basmati rice need compared white jasmin rice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i see this recipe that is suggesting boiling the rice for 8-10 minutes and then allow to rest.. will that be enough time to boil?
she also mentions as a remark, that some basmati rice needs only 1.75 cups of water for each cup of rice....

i'm wondering if i need to use ground spices instead of the whole clove and cardamom..

Last edited:
I use 3 water to 2 rice by volume for both Basmati and Jasmine.
Thats on the stove top.

But it all depends on how you cook it, how strong the boil and how long.
I bring to the boil with the lid on, stir once, and then either turn of the gas (in summer) or simmer for a couple minutes more (in winter).
Then leave to stand with the lid on. No stirring or anything till just before use.
Sometimes I cover the pot with a towel, to keep it hot.

Jasmine is more fragile than basmati.
Another option for basmati is to boil rice in plenty water, then drain and steam till done (colander over a pot with boiling water works well. Also for reheating left over rice)

But it all depends on how you cook it, how strong the boil and how long.
I bring to the boil with the lid on, stir once, and then either turn of the gas (in summer) or simmer for a couple minutes more (in winter).
Then leave to stand with the lid on. No stirring or anything till just before use.
Sometimes I cover the pot with a towel, to keep it hot.

Jasmine is more fragile than basmati.
Another option for basmati is to boil rice in plenty water, then drain and steam till done (colander over a pot with boiling water works well. Also for reheating left over rice)
THAT is why I use a rice cooker!

Put in one part rice and two parts water (three parts water for brown rice), set it and forget it, and you get perfect rice every time.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom