I need Meat Grinder info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David Cottrell

Head Chef
Ok all home cooks, I need a meat grinder - hand crank, not fancy to regrind purchased ground meat and perhaps to grind some from "scratch". A lady of Ukrainian heritage told me that she can't make the "creamy" peroshies her mother made and the same old thing, mother is sadly gone, etc. Apparently she can't find anyone of Ukrainian heritage who can duplicate her mother's cooking.:ermm:

I suspect it's in the commercial grind being too coarse and perhaps the meat she uses isn't lean enough.

I have no experience with appliances - I have next to none and don't know a good brand from a bad one. Anyone have experience with meat grinders? I might even learn to make sausages! :chef:

All of you who are teaching your children to cook are giving them a life time gift!

grinder reply

The hand grinders would be interesting. I use a kitchen aid with a grinder attachment. It has two plates, one for course and one for fine. I also have used a regualr grinder but I prefer the kitchen aid. I remember the hand grinders from when I was a kid. They should be resonable at thrift stores as no one uses them much. I make swedish potato sausage most every year with the kitchenaid and it works great. Grinding pork and beef, potatoes and onions. There is some great info on the web at bucher supply houses. Hope this helps a little. Roy

FWIW, I've never used a hand crank grinder but do own the Northern Industrial Tools Electric Meat Grinder (www2.northerntool.com). I've used it to grind mostly chicken (and even chicken wings for the dog -- but the manufacturer does not endorse grinding bones of any kind). The meat does seem to come be less course than store bought but I don't know if would be fine enough for you.

Northern also makes a stainless steel hand crank, which got good reviews by members on another form (dog owners who feed raw).

David Cottrell,
I used a meat grinder - hand crank for many years. No brand, it was made in good ol' USA. Unfortunately, the ex took it when we split.
I've seen a made in Czech Republic hand crank grinder at a local store.
It didn't have a brand name but looked very sturdy and similar to the one I had.
Let me know if you want it, I can get it and ship it to you.

Last edited:
Kudos to this guy!

wysiwyg found exactly what I was looking for in a store near him. He was looking for the same thing and found a good one at a great price but offered to buy it for me and send it. What a great guy wysiwgy is and what a great place Discuss Cooking is.

How do I send karma to him?

David Cottrell,
I used a meat grinder - hand crank for many years. No brand, it was made in good ol' USA. Unfortunately, the ex tHow dook it when we split.
I've seen a made in Czech Republic hand crank grinder at a local store.
It didn't have a brand name but looked very sturdy and similar to the one I had.
Let me know if you want it, I can get it and ship it to you.

Click on the "give karma" on his particular posting - you'll get sent to the correct screen. Then keep posting about how wonderful DC & it's members are..... ;)

wysiwyg.............you rule. And I'm giving you karma too.

Here is the link I've used in the past: meat grinders from Northern Tool + Equipment.

I have 2 meat grinders at home, well 3 actually. The one I use the most is Kitchen Aid atachment, works wonders, has been for at least last 15 years. Replaced the hand grinder (the number 3), one I do not use anymore. Also I have the one that is leasted for $99 bucks on the site. That one I use for larger quantities if I have to grind some.

Thanks Charlie, I think one small meat grinder will good for me :)- unless I start going crazy learning to make Ukrainian sausages which I really like. This willl be for peroshkies and belyashes ( forgive the spelling). What I think I have learned about these two items is that the meat needs to be a fine grind - like ground twice through the small holes. Am I wrong?

only grinder I have is for the KitchenAid stand mixer. I use it mainly for making ground chicken.

Back
Top Bottom