In the Category of What the Heck?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
in the catagory of what the heck.jpg

I found this in Wally World.
their were several different "flavors" of this Spam®
instant meal

I opened my e-mail this morning and found this new
special offering from King Arthur Flour :
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/sho...705&utm_content=bb-announcement-birthday-cake

:huh:

" … You’ll need: butter, eggs, whole milk, vegetable oil, and a hand mixer or stand mixer … "

:ermm: if that's all I need to make a cake, wouldn't I already have cake pans, flour, sugar, baking soda/powder, salt and flavorings? The 'specialty' items like 'colorful nonpareils for a pop of color' I can find at the dollar store!!! :stuart:

:wacko: I really don't get this one AND it's $25USD + s&h charges! :ohmy:

I opened my e-mail this morning and found this new
special offering from King Arthur Flour :
https://www.kingarthurflour.com/sho...705&utm_content=bb-announcement-birthday-cake

:huh:

" … You’ll need: butter, eggs, whole milk, vegetable oil, and a hand mixer or stand mixer … "

:ermm: if that's all I need to make a cake, wouldn't I already have cake pans, flour, sugar, baking soda/powder, salt and flavorings? The 'specialty' items like 'colorful nonpareils for a pop of color' I can find at the dollar store!!! :stuart:

:wacko: I really don't get this one AND it's $25USD + s&h charges! :ohmy:

They're just going after the people who buy meal kits like Blue Apron. It's amazing what younger people will buy these days. On the one hand, they supposedly want to save the planet and not use plastic straws and on the other hand, they'll buy kits like this full of disposable items - paper cake pans?! - and inefficient pre-measured ingredients.

Anything from King Arthur Flour is way overpriced. The only thing I buy from them is bread flour.

They're just going after the people who buy meal kits like Blue Apron. It's amazing what younger people will buy these days. On the one hand, they supposedly want to save the planet and not use plastic straws and on the other hand, they'll buy kits like this full of disposable items - paper cake pans?! - and inefficient pre-measured ingredients.

Anything from King Arthur Flour is way overpriced. The only thing I buy from them is bread flour.

FOR SURE GG!!!

I tried their Bread Flour once, and found that I got the same results
as well as taste from my been-buying-since-I-can-remember Gold
Medal Flour
shrug.png

FOR SURE GG!!!

I tried their Bread Flour once, and found that I got the same results
as well as taste from my been-buying-since-I-can-remember Gold
Medal Flour
View attachment 35463
I've only used it for "fancy" breads like the sweet potato-caramelized onion bread from Chef and the Farmer. I suppose I should also try making it side by side with regular all-purpose flour to see if there's a significant difference.

I use their bread flour for bread and bagels. I can get it at the local supermarket so ordering it online and paying shipping is not an issue.

Interesting side note:
I was telling DH about this discussion on flour

DH: What's the difference? Flour is flour, right?
Moi: Nope. I have 5 different kinds of flour in the pantry.
DH: WHAT?

So, I pulled out each of them and had him feel them.

DH: WOW! There is a huge difference!
Moi: Right? A different tool for a different job.

:chef::smartass:

It all depends on what your end product is supposed to be or what you want it to be. Breads generally have more 'chew' to them than cakes and muffins so you use a higher protein flour. Of course you can make bread with AP flour as well as bread flour but there will be some differences.

I do agree that it can be pricey but it's good stuff. I'm fortunate that at my local supermarket (Market Basket), it's often on sale. I stock up then. I usually have all of their flours (bread, white, white, white wheat, etc).

I took a couple of cooking classes there one year. Their store is pretty close to where my sister-in-law lives in Vermont. So it was nice to stay with her and attend the class. The class was a birthday present from my wife.

It's nice shopping at their store in VT. It's true that you can get any of the stuff online from Amazon but there something to be said for being able to see the item in person.

That's Disgusting!

DH was just telling me about a new "trend"
going around social media.

A young woman in the San Antonio Texas area
posted to Twitter, opening a container of Blue Bell Ice Cream
in a Walmart, licking it, closing it back up and returning
the container to the freezer.
:huh::(:ohmy::ermm::mad:
OH MY GOSH!
I watched a video about this on CBS News; I thought about posting
it here, but no, I couldn't, it was just too disgusting!

As I was also reading other articles about this new "trend",
it was mentioned that this is also being done with bottles
of mouthwash!

Has the World really gone this far beyond mad?:glare:

DH said from now on, if a container of any sort that I'm
going to purchase doesn't have a safety seal on,
DO NOT BUY IT!!
:excl:

IMG_6565.jpg

IMG_6564.jpg

I saw this while shopping today...

:ohmy:
WOW!!!

Two Egg Bites, equaling a little more than 2 ounces each,
with Red Pepper and Mozz Cheese,
each selling for about $2.50
:wacko:

I haven't tried Egg Bites yet, but I understand
that I can make them in my new Instant Pot® ... I just
bought a dozen free-range large Brown Eggs
for $2.50, that'll make my homemade version about 20¢ each!
:LOL:

View attachment 44046

View attachment 44047

I saw this while shopping today...

:ohmy:
WOW!!!

Two Egg Bites, equaling a little more than 2 ounces each,
with Red Pepper and Mozz Cheese,
each selling for about $2.50
:wacko:

I haven't tried Egg Bites yet, but I understand
that I can make them in my new Instant Pot® ... I just
bought a dozen free-range large Brown Eggs
for $2.50, that'll make my homemade version about 20¢ each!
:LOL:

If you have the 7 well mold you can make a version of egg bites in the IP. The actual Starbucks egg bites are sous vide. If you have the SV wand you can make a closer version in your IP. I’ve never had egg bites. All the recipes I see look like scrambled eggs with cottage cheese added. I don’t see the attraction. But lots of people love them. Let us know how they turn out.

If you have the 7 well mold you can make a version of egg bites in the IP. The actual Starbucks egg bites are sous vide. If you have the SV wand you can make a closer version in your IP. I’ve never had egg bites. All the recipes I see look like scrambled eggs with cottage cheese added. I don’t see the attraction. But lots of people love them. Let us know how they turn out.

Game on! :chef: Let's cook!

Taxy, here's how I figured it:

Eggs: $2.50/dz. = 20¢/Egg
Bacon Bites: ($1.33/30 Tbsp.) ÷ 3) ÷ 3 = 2¢
Cheese: (38¢/oz. X 2) ÷ 3 = 25¢
Milk: ($1.90/qt. ÷ 16) ÷ 3 = 4¢
Butter: (22¢/oz.) I used about 1 tsp. total = 11¢ ÷ 3 = 4¢

I come up with 55¢ per Egg Bite.

Now, granted, I'm not the best in math, but ...

These prices are based solely on what I paid here in Arizona at my local markets. Of course your costs may vary, but still, it gives a pretty good picture...
:chef:

We made it to California to collect my Mother and this is what we've been seeing

WTH.jpg

the smoke the wildfires is so bad, they are advising folks to stay inside in many counties.
Where we are, you can see all of the particulates in the air.
A coupla towns over, they reported ash falling :ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom