Ingredients for a date & nut crust?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daizymae

Washing Up
Hi, kids. I'm not a great baker, especially of regular pie crusts.

I'd like to make a pie using a nut & date bottom crust, which sounds easy to do. I can handle that.

However, I seem unable to find info on what to put INTO that crust! Everywhere I look on the w.w.w., they just say to pile a bunch of raw fruit in.

I want something more traditional, maybe something you bake and which will stay solid when you cut it into wedges.

Can anyone advise? Many, many thanks!:yum:

I've never made a date etc crust so I'm just guessing here from a few sites that mention, peripherally, putting a custard base filling in it.

I think it might make a difference if you pre-bake your crust or not.

As I said, just guessing, but I'd try a 'regular' filling if it were me.
I hope I'm just a little right :neutral:

Are you asking on how to incorporate dates and nuts into a traditional pie crust? If so, I would think you would need to put them in your food processor to finely grind them and then add to the traditional pie crust of shortening, flour, and water.

Or are you asking about the possible filling for such a crust? With the dates, I would assume it would call for a dessert type of filling. A fruit custard might be the answer to that. :angel:

"Or are you asking about the possible filling for such a crust? With the dates, I would assume it would call for a dessert type of filling. A fruit custard might be the answer to that."

Yes, that's correct - I need ideas as to what to put into the crust. I know how to make a date & nut crust. Tks.

As to fruit custard, I have never done this. Do you mean, like a lemon pie filling? I don't use anything from a box; everything I do is from scratch. I have made lemon pies from scratch, but I want something different this time. :chef: Any suggestions for me?

Last edited:
I would love the crust recipe.

I think an apple filling would go nice. I add raisins and walnuts to my apple pie filling SOOOOOOOOOOO dates and nuts in the crust sounds wonderful. I would maybe top it with the same date/ nut top crust or make a streusel type top.

I'm using this recipe:

Date and Nut Pie Crust RecipeRobins Key

1 C. almonds, soaked + 1 cup walnuts + 1/2 C. dates + dash of cinnamon + dash of salt.

In the video, the "cook" is actually intending to make a raw pumpkin pie, which she swears is wonderful. That's not my plan. I'm just looking for more mainstream filling to put into that date & nut base.

I don't even have a food processor, I have something better - an electric grinder that smashes everything together and does a better job in my judgment.

Many thanks for your input, msmofet! :chef::chef::chef:

A traditional pumpkin or sweet potato pie might go with that. There's nothing in the crust recipe that will make those ingredients hold together, though, so it won't be like a pastry crust that stays solid when you cut it. It needs some sort of binder, like an egg.

I'm going to try the crust w/out any binder and see what happens. Just a little 8" pie.

It would be smart, though, to add an eggwhite and bake the darn thing before putting the filling in. I may have to end up doing that! Many thanks for your suggestions! :chef:

Back
Top Bottom