ISO TNT baking mix recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
When I took cooking in high school, we got a recipe for homemade "Bisquick". It worked really well. But, high school was a long time ago and I don't have that recipe anymore. Does anyone have a tried and true recipe to make a copycat Bisquick? I tried searching the web for one a few years ago. I found one that looked reasonable, but it really didn't work.

Someone posted a baking mix recipe here on DC a number of years ago. I'm on my phone right now, otherwise I would look. It's easier for me to do some things on my laptop.

I believe Bisquick has dehydrated oil/lard by the way it settles in its package and you only need water to make a miracle biscuit.

One cup of Bisquick can be substituted:
1 cup of flour
1+1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon of salt
2+1⁄2 tablespoons of oil or melted butter (or by cutting in 2+1⁄2 tbsp Crisco or lard).

I can't remember where I saw this posted. But I copied it because I don't always have Bisquick available when I want it.

Last edited:
There are many versions available and they are all very similar.

Here is one example.

5 cups flour​

2 teaspoons salt​

3 tablespoons baking powder​

1 cup shortening​

Add all ingredients to large bowl.​

Cut in shortening with pastry blender until combined and no large pieces of shortening remain.​

Store in airtight container in pantry.​

If your recipe calls for buttermilk, applesauce, mashed bananas, etc, you will need to add baking soda.

I tried using baking mix many years ago and abandoned it because everything I made had the same taste and texture.

I do think that it could be helpful and less expensive if you are doing quantity cooking.

One cup of Bisquick can be substituted:
1 cup of flour
1+1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
1⁄2 teaspoon of salt
2+1⁄2 tablespoons of oil or melted butter (or by cutting in 2+1⁄2 tbsp Crisco or lard).

I can't remember where I saw this posted. But I copied it because I don't always have Bisquick available when I want it.
This is almost exactly a one sixth scale down of the one GG shared a few years ago and that I found yesterday. The only difference is that the fat scales down to 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons.

BTW, thank you @GotGarlic.

Back
Top Bottom