Kitchen "Candy" ~ Or, Look What I Just Got!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The purpose of this knife is not paring so much as mini slicing and dicing. I'm hoping it will be easier to handle than an 8" chefs knife for things like dicing shallots and other small items.

Here's a better photo.

View attachment 66929
Beautiful. I put it on my santa list. I like OXO products. This will be nice to chop garlic cloves. Did you find a blade cover? I store my knives standing blade down/handle up in a round canister and like to have them in a blade cover to protect blade and fingers.

Beautiful. I put it on my santa list. I like OXO products. This will be nice to chop garlic cloves. Did you find a blade cover? I store my knives standing blade down/handle up in a round canister and like to have them in a blade cover to protect blade and fingers.
I remember reading that storing knives upright in raw rice was a good plan. The rice prevented moisture and the knives easily slid in and out of the container. No idea how it would work, but I thought it sounded like a great idea.

I wasn't looking for a blade cover. I store my knives on a magnetic strip on the wall.

Sure enough within the same week, my Mr. Coffee and microwave quit on me. My daughter bought me a MW oven about ten years ago. So I was not surprised when it quit. It began arcing. I found a Magic Chef that had a smaller footprint on my counter top. Quite happy with it. Easier to operate.

I notified Mr. Coffee about my machine just up and quitting on me. It was less than seven months old. I sent an email to the company with all the information. About five days later there is a package for me down next to the mail boxes. It was a brand spanking new even better Mr. Coffee. It has a lot of bells and whistles that the broken one lacked. No cost, no tax, no shipping charge. I wanted to call them to say Thank you. Pirate told me to keep my mouth shut. Send them an email. So I did.

Now that is customer service. Two new appliances that take up less of a footprint on my counter top. And I only had to pay a minimal amount for the MW oven. No shipping or tax either.
My microwave is an ancient Quasar. But a couple of years ago I did my research on new ones and what I found is that most of them will not fit an 11 inch plate but mine does. And the couple that do would shut my circuit breaker off in the kitchen because my electricity is not that great. So I guess I'll just use it until it drops. But just today I filled up a big 11 inch plate and microwaved it in there so I guess if I do get a new microwave I'll have to also buy some 10-in plates.

Katie, you are exactly who I was thinking about as I wrote "for those of you with Thrift Shop Luck". :winkiss: I'm glad you were able to find a new crockpot so fast (and so cheap) since you do use it a lot. IF we're ever in your neck of the woods, I want to go Goodwilling with you!
I have also been tempted to get a crock pot or slow cooker lately but then I started thinking about that and it just really didn't make sense. I'm at home most of the time so it's not like I need the timer usually.

As I've mentioned before I have a big turkey roaster and I just put my heavy stainless steel Dutch oven in there with foil under the lid and it's just the same as a slow cooker.

But then I was thinking well if I got a slow cooker it would take up slightly less space than the turkey roaster --
But then I also realized while I was reading the specs that the slow cookers only have two temperatures. My turkey roaster will go as high or low as you want so it's really more versatile.

Besides I think I just like saying the words "turkey roaster."

The purpose of this knife is not paring so much as mini slicing and dicing. I'm hoping it will be easier to handle than an 8" chefs knife for things like dicing shallots and other small items.
I got a nice 6" Wusthof chef's knife a few years back because larger ones were awkward for me. Our son got the nice-enough 10" Himself bought me as a Christmas gift ages ago; our daughter got the 8" Dexter-Russell I bought at the outlet store shortly after we moved here. Apparently I am also too "shortly" to handle the larger knives easily.

I actually have quite a few of a brand called Rada. One of the first ones I purchased was a mini chopper. I used it so much that was what made me slowly buy more of them.
I also got a small (2 wheel type) sharpener from them which was marvelous, never had one that worked so well. Had it for years.
Unfortunately the wheels slipped too far apart. For some reason I never ordered another one.
As of today - it is back on my "Just DO IT, dragn!" list.

I actually have quite a few of a brand called Rada. One of the first ones I purchased was a mini chopper. I used it so much that was what made me slowly buy more of them.
I also got a small (2 wheel type) sharpener from them which was marvelous, never had one that worked so well. Had it for years.
Unfortunately the wheels slipped too far apart. For some reason I never ordered another one.
As of today - it is back on my "Just DO IT, dragn!" list.
The Rada chef's knife is one of my most recommended knives to people who are just looking for an easy to maintain, inexpensive knife. It works as well as most of the people I know want. I use it most often for the one quick job. If we have company I and the guest wants to be in the kitchen that's what I have them use because no one has cut themselves with it.

We use their long paring knives as our table knives, and I'm always using their Granny parer (birds beak) for veg prep.

It's also a really great knife for someone looking to improve their knife skills and help them narrow down what they want if they wish to move up to an expensive knife without amassing a lot of pricey "not quite it
knives" along the way.

So of course, I had to go looking. Son of a gun knife - I cannot find my small paring knife! I'm pretty sure it is still in it's paper sheath, so hopefully it's being protected. But where do you lose a sharp knife?
23.11.20 Rada knives.jpg

Tried out my new knife tonight. I used it to slice up a small onion, it was a little bigger than a ping pong ball. The knife worked great. It's very sharp and lightweight. But the best thing about it is the blade shape. It is a good angle for slicing and it keeps your knuckles of the cutting board. For less than $20.00, it's well worth it.

Great Andy! Happy for you. Knuckle clearance is important.

I sometimes even have to make sure my hand clears the board before that downward stroke.

Love that color, @GinnyPNW I have 3 Staub pots: 4 quart Cocotte in red, a 12" braiser in dark blue, and a 3.4 quart cocotte with a slighly rounded bottom and two "ears" with a cover than can be used as a grill pan. That last one is my "favorite child" from my Staub pots.

Gonna cost a fortune to move my cast iron...

Back
Top Bottom