Kitchen Canisters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, brown sugar gets hard because the moisture evaporates from it. I have this cute little clay bear that I add to a canister of hard brown sugar. You wet it down, let it absorb the moisture, then put it into the canister. The next day your brown sugar is soft as can be. You don't need a cute clay bear, however, as a piece of moist bread will do the same thing.

I keep brown and powered sugar, along with panko and a few other pantry items vacuum packed.. Works for me...

Ross

It's possible that your Mom bought only bleached, All-Purpose flour when you were a kid. Heck, that's the kind of flour I bought for years and years...and my kids are a year younger than you. :ohmy: That type of flour has no natural oils in it, which is the first thing that goes rancid when flour gets old.

Finally, I will begrudgingly say Welcome to DC, but I did see the photo you have on your Profile page. After all, I listened to your team beat mine in the wee hours of November 3rd. :cry: My only consolation was that I was listening to my team's play-by-play announcer while watching the waves crash on the shore of Jekyll Island.

Cute doggie, BTW. :)

First, that is a great point. I only buy unbleached flour myself, but I know my mother still buys bleached to this day. I didn't even think about that difference.

And second, I'm sorry for your loss. ;) I have quite a few friends in Ohio, and I promised them that next time the Indians make it to the WS, I would be rooting for them. (Unless, of course, they were playing us again. But anyone else, I'm all Indians.) Besides, you have to admit, our dry spell was MUCH longer than yours.

So I'm convinced on the airtight argument, though I'm sad that this means I cannot get my sweet mushroom canisters to remind me of my grandmother. Oh well. I'm still not going to freeze my flour. One, because I don't want to get flour dust in my freezer, and two, because I don't like putting glass in my freezer, so I'm not about to put it in there after I've transferred it into the new canister. Not to mention, if it ain't broke...

As to the need for the canister to be opaque or kept in the pantry; I'm wondering if it's any light getting to it that will affect it, or just UV light? There are no windows in my kitchen, so it would not be getting any direct sunlight sitting on my counter. Just wattage from the lightbulbs overhead. I'm going to have to look that up, because if I have to go with airtight, I'm going with clear glass, but I'd still like them on my counter. I have more room for them there than in the pantry.

Thanks for talking this through with me everyone! My husband doesn't cook anything besides meat on the grill and eggs, and couldn't care less about kitchen anything, so he is no help when I obsess about making decisions on my kitchen tools. I like to make the right choice the first time and not waste my money. It helps to have another brain thinking it over, too. :)

CubsGal, I think you're way over thinking this.

Sometimes when discussions like this get too complex, I try to get back to basics. We're talking about flour. The same stuff your grandmother used. Scoop it out of the bag it comes in or from a different container. I can't imagine you will experience huge problems one way or another.

I've never frozen 'regular' flours and never had a problem. I suspect the major brands have that under control.

Sometimes when discussions like this get too complex, I try to get back to basics. We're talking about flour. The same stuff your grandmother used. Scoop it out of the bag it comes in or from a different container. I can't imagine you will experience huge problems one way or another.

+1...

Last edited:
I'm still not going to freeze my flour. One, because I don't want to get flour dust in my freezer, and two, because I don't like putting glass in my freezer, so I'm not about to put it in there after I've transferred it into the new canister.

I put the bags of flour into large plastic zip-top bags and then into the freezer for a couple days. Then I transfer it into the canisters. No possibility of flour dust mess or breakage.

I actually use airtight plastic canisters in a cabinet for most of my flours and sugars. My ceramic canisters hold homemade vanilla sugar and cornstarch. The big one is empty. It just occurred to me that I can put my masa harina in that big canister and get it out of the freezer! Kewl! [emoji38]

I don't know for sure but overthinking is a great hobby. It's a hobby of mine. And I'm not dead yet. It makes up for all the non thinking people doing impulsive thoughtless things to the world and to us. In the end, it balances out.

I only keep about 10 lbs of flour on hand and I have much more whole grains before milling. Before milling wheat/rye keep for years without degrading. If the stores ran out of flour, or moths took over flours, I'd still have bread a year later. I froze 50 lb bags of grain for a week before I stored it in sealed 5 gallon buckets.

I don't know for sure but overthinking is a great hobby. It's a hobby of mine. And I'm not dead yet. It makes up for all the non thinking people doing impulsive thoughtless things to the world and to us. In the end, it balances out.
I see your point but over thinking has led me to some impulsive decisions as well.
I only keep about 10 lbs of flour on hand and I have much more whole grains before milling. Before milling wheat/rye keep for years without degrading. If the stores ran out of flour, or moths took over flours, I'd still have bread a year later. I froze 50 lb bags of grain for a week before I stored it in sealed 5 gallon buckets.
What mill do you use? About ten years ago I gave away a Nutrimill. Not sure I want to invest in another.

Attachments

• Nutrimill.jpg
    Nutrimill.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 132
So after all of this discussion, I still intend to keep my flour and sugar in the bag it came in. No bugs so far. Growing up, every household had four canisters in the kitchen. Flour, Sugar, Coffee and lastly, Tea. Today you can buy just two. Generic in style and color. One for flour and the other for sugar. Or you can do what a lot of folks I know do. Use a washed out and dried large coffee canister. One resident in this building bought some contact paper and made her own canisters to match her small kitchen.

Buy those canisters that remind you of your grandmother. Think of all the memories they will invoke as you bake. You spend most of your time in your kitchen. Those memories will make your time there much happier. And you can be creating your own memories.

Welcome to DC and happy baking!

So after all of this discussion, I still intend to keep my flour and sugar in the bag it came in. No bugs so far. Growing up, every household had four canisters in the kitchen. Flour, Sugar, Coffee and lastly, Tea. Today you can buy just two. Generic in style and color. One for flour and the other for sugar. Or you can do what a lot of folks I know do. Use a washed out and dried large coffee canister. One resident in this building bought some contact paper and made her own canisters to match her small kitchen.

Addie, there are zillions of three- and four-piece canister sets available: https://www.google.com/search?q=thr...off&tbm=isch&q=canisters+sets+for+the+kitchen

I have this one.
8906bec2627b84c559a07e03a5e3e18c--canister-sets-canisters.jpg

I am aware that there are a plethora of three and four sets of canister. But I have also seen them as a set of two. And they are smaller to accommodate the smaller four pound bags of flour and sugar. The old one were made for the five pound bags that we used to be able to buy.

Your three set is very pretty and attractive. I hope you enjoy them in good health.

Last edited:
I am aware that there are a plethora of three and four sets of canister. But I have also seen them as a set of two.

Oh. Well in that case, this is doubly confusing :huh:

Growing up, every household had four canisters in the kitchen. Flour, Sugar, Coffee and lastly, Tea. Today you can buy just two. Generic in style and color. One for flour and the other for sugar.

Your three set is very pretty and attractive. I hope you enjoy them in good health.

Thank you, I do enjoy them. It makes me happy to see pretty things around me [emoji2]

Last edited:
OoOoo! Now I want canisters! The first two pictures is ones I found from your link GG! I bet I could make something similar. 3rd pic is a decorative set I painted and 4th is some new half gallon jars I bought! Hmmm... crafty time :w00t2:
Yours are very pretty GG!

Attachments

• IMG_3851.jpg
    IMG_3851.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_3852.jpg
    IMG_3852.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_3854.jpg
    IMG_3854.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_3856.jpg
    IMG_3856.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 133
I keep my bulk buys in airtight containers, I use canisters on the counter for easy access while cooking/baking. No problems with bugs.

I put the bags of flour into large plastic zip-top bags and then into the freezer for a couple days. Then I transfer it into the canisters. No possibility of flour dust mess or breakage.
[emoji38]
I don't buy disposable storage at all. No plastic baggies in my house! I even have reusable produce bags I take to the grocery store.

I've never frozen 'regular' flours and never had a problem. I suspect the major brands have that under control.

So first I have people telling me not to use the whole "it was fine for my grandmother argument" because we know better these days. Now you are telling me if it was fine for grandma, it's fine for me. Thanks. This has been helpful. :wacko:

Seriously, though, this has been fun. And yes, I'm overthinking it a bit. But sometimes it's good to exercise our brain, even over the little things. Besides, I know so few people who cook at home anymore, it's nice to "talk shop" with people who actually have thoughts on these things.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom