Measuring Spoons-Need A Recommendation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Randy_

Senior Cook
I need to purchase a new set of measuring spoons. The 99¢ set from the Dollar Store just won't cut it any more. The thought of paying $15+ for a set of spoons is a little scary:eek:; but from what I've seen on the Internet a buck 99 won't get you very much.

I want a set with loooooong handles so they will get into containers like the tall horseradish jars and they need to have narrow bowls to get into narrow-mouthed spice jars and the like. Guess I will have to spring for a SS set as all of the plastic sets I have ever owned have their painted markings wear off after a while.:mad:

I don't care for the little rings and chains that keep the sets together in the drawer and the idea of magnetic spoons seems like a kool idea. Sadly, some ideas that look "GOOD" on paper, don't always work out in actual practice.

Anyone out there have a recommendation for a decent set that will not require me to hock my first-born??:rolleyes:

TIA

how about these?
Long Handled Narrow Measuring Spoon Set
I just did a google using the search terms long handle narrow measuring spoons, and several sites came up
and as long as they are stainless steel, you can use a magnetic strip (like for knives) to hang them up. Don't like the ring? cut it off.

Thanks for the suggestion, Kathyl. Those look like an excellent alternative. Initially though, after a lot of thought (been researching this question for several weeks now), I have decided to go with these.

www.amazon.com/Progressive-International-Stainless-Magnetic-Measuring/dp/B001GAQKKW/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1255194911&sr=8-4"
(Note: I haven't been around long enough to be allowed to post active links so you will have to copy and paste the above to see what I decided to buy if you are that interested. Hmmmm.....let's see if a newby can post a picture??}

The magnetic feature really intrigues me and these are sort of cool for other reasons as well.....at least on paper and according to reviews. If they don't work out to my satisfaction, then I will go with the set you suggested.

BTW, I'm not sure about the SS that is used for kitchen utensils; but many grades of high quality SS are "NOT" magnetic and would not stick to a strip such as you are suggesting. Guess I will have to get out my trusty magnet and test some of my SS stuff in the kitchen and see what happens.

Attachments

• 41eCZ9XRiHL._SS500_.jpg
    41eCZ9XRiHL._SS500_.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 219
i got a set designed to stick together, so you are looking in a drawer for 1/4 tsp. they are plastic with an elongated end and a round end for measuring different things. i can't remember where i got them, but do know is on line. i love em.

The company that makes the pictured SS spoons..... Progressive..... also makes a plastic set. I bet that's what you have. :cool:

Here is a picture of the plastic set.

Attachments

• 319Dwsn75AL._SS500_.jpg
    319Dwsn75AL._SS500_.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 220
www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&p=45139&cat=2,40733,44734&ap=2"

That is certainly a nice set of spoons and there are a number of web sites that sell sets very similar to that. It was one of my final choices; but the chain thing caused me to go with the set that was magnetic.

Attachments

• ev110s1.jpg
    ev110s1.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 155
Those look like nice measuring spoons, Randy! You'll have to let us know whether you like them. Now I want to attach a piece of metal to the inside of one of my kitchen cabinets so I can stick measuring spoons to it. How convenient would that be??

Hey Tart:

I read a review of those spoons and saw a comment that the would "NOT" stick to a refrigerator. Don't know if it was because of the design or if the magnets are simply not strong enough? That is something I will check out when I get mine.

One could always buy some little noble earth magnets and super glue them to an existing set of measuring spoons. Don't think the super glue would stick to plastic spoons; but would probably do OK with SS spoons.

Here is a magnetic spoon of a different design and it "might" stick to a metal strip; but it sure looks funny and might be more difficult to use and clean??

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, thanks, Alix; but the link is not showing up in your post so I can't say??

Hmmmmm??? Took a second look and now it seems to display just fine??

Thanks!!:)

Several points:

Some refrigerators are not magnetic even though they are metal. Frankly, I don't see a burning need to stick measuring spoons to my refrigerator.

Not sure there is a benefit to having measuring spoons that stick together magnetically any more than those that are ringed or chained together.

The first thing I do with a set of measuring spoons is take off the ring/chain and toss it. I like them separate so I don't get them all dirty when I use one. Same for measuring cups.

I've noticed lately that some measuring spoon sets have eliminated the half-tablespoon spoon.

Several points:

Some refrigerators are not magnetic even though they are metal. Frankly, I don't see a burning need to stick measuring spoons to my refrigerator.
Only true for stainless steel. And some is magnetic and some is not.

Not sure there is a benefit to having measuring spoons that stick together magnetically any more than those that are ringed or chained together.
Makes them a lot easier to separate for individual use!!

The first thing I do with a set of measuring spoons is take off the ring/chain and toss it. I like them separate so I don't get them all dirty when I use one. Same for measuring cups.
I do the same; but without the ring/chain the little spoons tend to hide in a crowded kitchen drawer!!

I've noticed lately that some measuring spoon sets have eliminated the half-tablespoon spoon.
My cooking experience is not all that extensive; but I don't recall ever seeing a recipe that called for a half TBS of anything??

:chef:

Quote from Randy_

Makes them a lot easier to separate for individual use!

Then do you take the time to reconnect them after you are done with them?

I do the same; but without the ring/chain the little spoons tend to hide in a crowded kitchen drawer!!

Removing the chain/ring separates them permanently then you keep them in a little tray in the drawer so you can find them.

My cooking experience is not all that extensive; but I don't recall ever seeing a recipe that called for a half TBS of anything??

It used to be normal to see a half tablespoon in recipes. Also, it's a lot quicker to measure a half tablespoon than to measure a teaspoon and a half. Also, it dirties fewer spoons.

Only true for stainless steel.
Actually, there are plenty of other types that are not magnetic. Many fridges have a front panel that is not magnetic. The front panel is able to be swapped out so if you redo your kitchen you can redo the look of your fridge without buying a new one, These are often not magnetic.

Makes them a lot easier to separate for individual use!!
What makes it even easier is if they are not stuck together at all. What I do is buy a few sets of measuring spoons and take the rings off. I keep these in a cup on the counter. I have easy access to my spoons this way and they are always right there.

i guess everyone likes something a little different. i prefer the kind that the word doesn't wash off - i want a tablespoon to say tablespoon.

i don't mind if it's metal or plastic, or from the dollar store or not, as long as it washes easily and you can tell what it is.

for the record, dd likes hers on a ring and i like mine separate. so we have both in our house.

Actually, there are plenty of other types that are not magnetic. Many fridges have a front panel that is not magnetic. The front panel is able to be swapped out so if you redo your kitchen you can redo the look of your fridge without buying a new one, These are often not magnetic.
Good point.

What makes it even easier is if they are not stuck together at all. What I do is buy a few sets of measuring spoons and take the rings off. I keep these in a cup on the counter. I have easy access to my spoons this way and they are always right there.
That works for you which is just fine; but it won't work for me as I have a small kitchen with limited counter space. I already have too much stuff on the counter so the must spoons go in the drawer.

There is always more than one solution to a problem depending upon the specific circumstances.

Quote from Randy_

Makes them a lot easier to separate for individual use!

Then do you take the time to reconnect them after you are done with them?
Of course.

Removing the chain/ring separates them permanently then you keep them in a little tray in the drawer so you can find them.
That would work; but the tray is just one more thing to deal with and idn't reqiored if the spoons are magnetic.

It used to be normal to see a half tablespoon in recipes. Also, it's a lot quicker to measure a half tablespoon than to measure a teaspoon and a half. Also, it dirties fewer spoons.
Then you would be happy with the set I just purchased. It comes with a 1/2 TBS spoon.

My new set arrived in the mail tonight. They are going to be a major improvement over what I have been using; but I can already see a couple of limitations.

Back
Top Bottom