Microwave melt butter tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4Fun

Senior Cook
How can I melt butter in microwave without it spritzing the inside of the microwave? Also keep it from burning.

Maybe you are microwaving it for too long. I just asked my DH about this. He said that he nukes it at full power. No sputtering or spitting. Once it is fully melted, if he lets it continue, it starts to bubble and then to spit. We have never had the butter burn while melting it in the microwave. It goes quite quickly, so stay nearby and don't leave it going after it is all melted. 20-30 seconds on full power in our microwave, depending on the temperature of the butter. That's for an eighth of a pound of butter, half a stick.

Last edited:
I was melting about 4.5 tbsp of butter. 60 seconds first still had unmelted bits. Gave an extra 25 seconds and it seemed to have created a bubble that got all over.

I was melting about 4.5 tbsp of butter. 60 seconds first still had unmelted bits. Gave an extra 25 seconds and it seemed to have created a bubble that got all over.

That sounds like far too long, depending on the power setting and the power of your microwave. Was that at full blast?

If there are a few unmelted bits, swirl the butter container and see if the residual heat in the butter is enough to melt them. If not, I wouldn't give that amount of butter more than a 15 second extra go in the microwave.

Was your butter cold or room temperature when you nuked it? My DH usually nukes 1/8 pound (4 tblsps) for 20 to 30 seconds, depending on whether it's fridge temperature or room temperature. If that isn't enough, another 5-10 seconds should do it.

60 seconds is way too long! Chop the butter up a bit and you only need 15-20 seconds. Stir it once or twice and give it another 10 seconds if necessary.

How do I tell total microwave energy and how to reduce it by percentage? Or does it go to 11? Lol. Does anyone else's butter have the tbsp ruler on the packaging start about half inch from the edge so it's hard to calculate amounts?

Look for “Power Level “ tap and put in a number from 1-10, 10 being 100%.
So number 5 will be 50% and so on.

Look for “Power Level “ tap and put in a number from 1-10, 10 being 100%.
So number 5 will be 50% and so on.

The numbers work the same way on my microwave. But, I tap "Power Level" once and see 10, a second time and see 9, third time gives me 8. etc.

If I don 't do anything with the power level, it will be at max.

Back
Top Bottom