Monday, April 10, 2017, dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had the Irish bangers I got from the butcher last week. They were crying out to be made before it was too late. We had them tonight, simmered in a frypan. Served them on top of mashed with sauteed cabbage and leek mixed in, and sauteed a few zucchini that were almost in need of resuscitation. I didn't remember I had wanted to make an onion brown gravy until we were deep into eating supper. Oops. Better memory next time?

Hmm, that looks like your dinner is on a coffee table. Do you guys eat supper in front of the TV? It seems like ever since we moved and "four" became "two", we do that more often than not.

Yes, we usually eat in the living room since we started apartment living 5 years ago.. Our place is small with a space for a 3X5ft dining table we only use when we have friends over for dinner and cards.. The rest of the time the table holds our laptops, etc.. Actually this apartment is much larger as, our first apartment was so small that we had to put our sofa in storage.. I called it quaint and Jeannie called it a pain in the... well... she just wasn't very complimentary
about the place.. ;)

Ross

Ross, your coq au vin looks great. And I'm also drooling at the mention of peach cobbler. :yum:

--------------------
*I usually eat at the dining room table - the dining room is open to the living room, so I can see the TV while I'm having a meal. :mrgreen:

Thanks Cheryl.. I must say that the cobbler was outstanding.. Jeannie had hers with whipped cream and I topped mine with vanilla bean ice cream.. I'm such a dessert...um... well, you know... ;)

Hi everybody, been away for a while, things are still stressful but life must go on! Got to keep up morale and keep things going. F0r those who don't know, OH had an operation for prostate cancer, but they still found traces elsewhere. Stressful time. I've been following your posts, they keep me going. Anyway, to talk about cooking, I recently bought an unglazed Moroccan tagine, and, having seasoned it, last night I did moroccan chicken with raisins and chick peas (garbanzos). Came out a real treat. I'll be happy to post the recipe to anyone who's interested.

Thank you for all the messages you sent. They really matter a lot.

Affectionally to you all

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

No TV and no answering phones (with rare exceptions) during dinner time has been a long standing rule in our household. When our daughter was in high school, it was the only 30 minutes a day we had to communicate. Now she looks back and appreciates it.

No TV and no answering phones (with rare exceptions) during dinner time has been a long standing rule in our household. When our daughter was in high school, it was the only 30 minutes a day we had to communicate. Now she looks back and appreciates it.
We don't have children, but when we hosted exchange students, we always ate at the table with the TV off. DH and I usually catch up with each other with a drink on the porch before he takes the dog for a walk while I start dinner.

Besides, DH has had our tax stuff spread out all over the table for a couple months now [emoji38]

Last edited:
Hi everybody, been away for a while, things are still stressful but life must go on! Got to keep up morale and keep things going. F0r those who don't know, OH had an operation for prostate cancer, but they still found traces elsewhere. Stressful time. I've been following your posts, they keep me going. Anyway, to talk about cooking, I recently bought an unglazed Moroccan tagine, and, having seasoned it, last night I did moroccan chicken with raisins and chick peas (garbanzos). Came out a real treat. I'll be happy to post the recipe to anyone who's interested.

Thank you for all the messages you sent. They really matter a lot.

Affectionally to you all

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

I'm new to DC but, I have read your posts... I join the others in wishing OH well in the fight to defeat cancer.. Post when you can, please... :)

Ross

Yes, we usually eat in the living room since we started apartment living 5 years ago.. Our place is small with a space for a 3X5ft dining table we only use when we have friends over for dinner and cards.. The rest of the time the table holds our laptops, etc.. Actually this apartment is much larger as, our first apartment was so small that we had to put our sofa in storage.. I called it quaint and Jeannie called it a pain in the... well... she just wasn't very complimentary
about the place.. ;)

Ross

Toyota is moving their US headquarters to a location about ten miles from me. The Californians moving to town are going nuts over our home prices. My house is worth 100-grand more today than it was a few years ago. Thanks, Toyota.

I have several friends in LA, and love to mess with them by telling them I have a three bedroom, 2.5 bath, two car garage house... and my mortgage payments are $516 a month. When I go to Monterey peninsula for car week, I pay 250 a night for a room at Motel-6.

CD

Toyota is moving their US headquarters to a location about ten miles from me. The Californians moving to town are going nuts over our home prices. My house is worth 100-grand more today than it was a few years ago. Thanks, Toyota.

I have several friends in LA, and love to mess with them by telling them I have a three bedroom, 2.5 bath, two car garage house... and my mortgage payments are $516 a month. When I go to Monterey peninsula for car week, I pay 250 a night for a room at Motel-6.

CD

YUP... Cost of a home (purchase or rent) is kinda outrageous.. Our $70,000 home in Missouri equals about $400,000 here..
Our apartment rent here is @1000 for 700 sq ft... But.... We were raised here and its not only home but, pretty much a paradise on the bay, so we adjust and enjoy... :)

I'd give a lot to be back in the Bay Area, but no way can I afford it. I rented a small house and a yard for only $330/month back in the 80s in San Jose. But it's just as bad where I'm at now. When I first came here to Washington 15 years ago, I rented a two bedroom apartment for $545/month. Now they're renting for $1500/month. I can see where I'm going to be priced out of Washington state soon as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom