Monday, August 21, 2023, what's on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medtran49

Master Chef
A sheet pan meal on the grill.

20230821_181143.jpg

I had planned to grill the burgers on the hibachi, but I just wasn't up for dealing with starting and maintaining a fire. It's been a while. I need to get back in the groove of proper charcoal grilling. So, I cooked the burgers in a cast irons skillet.

DH mixed up the ground beef and shaped the patties. I made coleslaw and fried the burgers and toasted the buns. I had mine on a wholewheat English muffin, rather than the white sesame buns that we usually use for burgers. DH had one of each. He was skeptical of using English muffins instead of hamburger buns so, of course, his muffin tore as he took it out of the toaster. It all tasted very good.

We had fried grouper chunks and butterflied 16/20 shrimp. Both lemon pepper seasoned and panko breaded, homemade tartar sauce.. Broccoli with a Beemster gouda and cheddar cheese sauce for a side.

The grouper was fresh wild caught and was expensive but worth it.

20230821_205918.jpg
20230821_214448.jpg
20230821_231426.jpg
20230821_232830.jpg

Last edited:
I had frozen the base of meat and onions for Tator Tot Hotdish. Finished and cooked it tonight for the gang getting home late from swim lessons. Was pretty good. Will be on the list.

It's made with canned soups so I can't really make it complete and freeze but the base can defrost in a couple of hours and then assembly is fast.

At the same time as the 'Hotdish' was cooking I had a fresh Peach and Blueberry Crumbl e in the oven. With Vanilla ice cream - very tasty - but I ignored my inner voice and ate the ice cream, it was sooo good.

And of course, so was my gut ache immediately after. I really have to get out my ice cream machine to make my lactose free. :bangin::hammer:

At the same time as the 'Hotdish' was cooking I had a fresh Peach and Blueberry Crumbl e in the oven. With Vanilla ice cream - very tasty - but I ignored my inner voice and ate the ice cream, it was sooo good.

And of course, so was my gut ache immediately after. I really have to get out my ice cream machine to make my lactose free. :bangin::hammer:
Have you ever tried full fat canned coconut milk? I was surprised at how good it actually works and makes a creamy and delicious ice cream. It doesn't taste like coconut with vanilla extract and/or other ingredients added.

Last edited:
Gung Pat Bai Grapao
Stir Fry Prawns in Holy Basil and Chilli 🫠

IMG_0269.jpeg

Cook’s Notes:

This dish has quite a kick, which might seem odd if you haven’t worked with holy basil before. It does have the fragrance of the basil you may be more familiar with, but there is a noticeable amount of heat in it. Balance is the key, with fish sauce and palm sugar being important for rounding out the flavour.
With care, the fragrances will all complement the structure.

Gung Pat Bai Grapao
Stir Fry Prawns in Holy Basil and Chilli 🫠

View attachment 65649

Cook’s Notes:

This dish has quite a kick, which might seem odd if you haven’t worked with holy basil before. It does have the fragrance of the basil you may be more familiar with, but there is a noticeable amount of heat in it. Balance is the key, with fish sauce and palm sugar being important for rounding out the flavour.
With care, the fragrances will all complement the structure.
I've never cooked with holy basil before. Interestingly enough, I've seen it sold in a health food store as a supplement in capsule form.

Looks and sounds delicious!

A German beer I like is called Warsteiner
I haven't heard of that one I don't think. Years ago I drank almost only imports, but over the past few years I have been drinking beer from a local brewery called Great Lakes Brewery. They put out some really nice stuff.

I'll look for Warsteiner next time I am in the grocery store. I love German-style lagers and English ales mostly, and some stouts if they aren't too heavy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom