Need IP Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DebbieC2023

Assistant Cook
I’ve had my instant pot for over a year and still have problems with rice and pinto beans. I’ve read and tried multiple recipes for both and can’t get it right! So the rice program on the IP causes the rice to come out gummy. I tried a recipe calling for 4 minutes on high and 15 NR. The rice came out fluffier but not quite fully cooked. I know it must be user error but what am I doing wrong!

I've no experience with an instapot personally, but I would not have known you were talking about from the subject line if I hadn't clicked and looked. I am not sure how many people who have experience with an Instapot are going to know that otherwise. Hope you get some answers.

Never, ever use the pre-sets. They just don’t work right. Find reliable recipes from trusted sources. Never use Pinterest.

16 ounces of white/basmati/jasmine rice
2 cups water
2t salt

Rinse rice until water runs clear

Pressure cook on high for 3 min.
Natural pressure release for 10 min, then open the valve and release remaining pressure

Attachments

• 1703905718599.png
    1703905718599.png
    803 KB · Views: 7
2 C. rinsed, picked over navy beans (not soaked)
4 C. water

Place in Instant Pot
Lock lid and seal vent
Manual/Pressure Cook setting for 30 minutes, then natural pressure release (NPR) for 15 minutes.
No salt added before cooking.

I’ve had my instant pot for over a year and still have problems with rice and pinto beans. I’ve read and tried multiple recipes for both and can’t get it right! So the rice program on the IP causes the rice to come out gummy. I tried a recipe calling for 4 minutes on high and 15 NR. The rice came out fluffier but not quite fully cooked. I know it must be user error but what am I doing wrong!
its faster on the stove, boil, then reduce to simmer covered for 12 minutes.

2 C. rinsed, picked over navy beans (not soaked)
4 C. water

Place in Instant Pot
Lock lid and seal vent
Manual/Pressure Cook setting for 30 minutes, then natural pressure release (NPR) for 15 minutes.
No salt added before cooking.
As you rule, you should salt the beans before cooking. That’s the only way you will season the inside of the bean. It also improves the bean’s texture.

If you do soak beans (and you don’t need to in an IP), you should also salt the soaking water.

Read more here: https://www.seriouseats.com/salt-beans-cooking-soaking-water-good-or-bad

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom