New Member Introduction: Greetings from Kushanya Sandamali, a Culinary Enthusiast from Sri Lanka!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookingwithsanda

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone,

I'm thrilled to join this vibrant community of food lovers here on DiscussCooking.com. My name is Kushanya Sandamali, and I'm a 26-year-old culinary enthusiast hailing from the beautiful island of Sri Lanka.

I've always had a passion for experimenting with flavors and creating delicious dishes in my kitchen. Today, I wanted to introduce myself by sharing a mouthwatering recipe for "Spicy Sweet Potato Chips." I recently came across this fantastic recipe, and I couldn't resist trying it out. The combination of sweet and spicy flavors really took these chips to another level!​

Crunchy and Flavorful Homemade Spicy Sweet Potato Chips.png

If you have any questions or suggestions, please don't hesitate to reach out. I'm looking forward to connecting with all of you and learning from your culinary adventures.

Thank you for welcoming me into this fantastic community. Let's embark on a delicious journey together!

Best regards,
Kushanya Sandamali​

Welcome from The Netherlands ,( aka Holland ).

I worked 2 years with potatos just before retirement. Also sweet.
But they were the softer kind, good for cooking but not for frying.
It has to be real "yams", is it ?

Thanks for checking out my article and sharing your potato expertise! It's awesome to connect with someone who has had hands-on experience with potatoes, especially as you neared retirement.

You're absolutely right about the type of potatoes used in the Spicy Sweet Potato Chips recipe. They need to be the firmer kind, more like yams, rather than the softer ones that are better for cooking. These firm sweet potatoes or yams give the chips that perfect crunch we all love.

If you can get your hands on some firm sweet potatoes or yams, I highly recommend trying out the recipe. The combination of sweet and spicy flavors is just amazing. I'd love to hear about your own experiences and if you have any more questions.

Thanks again for your comment, and I'm excited to keep the conversation going!

Hi again from The Netherlands. 🙂
The centuries' old ties with Indonesia has influenced the Dutch kitchen , with nasi goreng, satays and curries belonging to the staple dishes. Watered down often.
I became interested, ( =addicted 🙂 ),
to Korean movies/dramas in 2009.
And ofcourse Korean culture and kitchen.
I am only an amateur, but learning by the day about the benefits of traditional Asian cuisines in all their varieties.
Like S.Korea being one of the most modern countries in the world, but one foot still in deep ancient times.
Same for many other Asian countries .
Looking forward to your recipes !

024f182e207f8240fa18cf13f352ed63.jpg

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to hearing more about your foods, as I love the few Sri Lankan foods I've made, and the Indian foods I like the most are those in the southern regions. Just haven't seen much on the Sri Lankan recipes.

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to hearing more about your foods, as I love the few Sri Lankan foods I've made, and the Indian foods I like the most are those in the southern regions. Just haven't seen much on the Sri Lankan recipes.
Thank you so much for the warm welcome to the forum!

It's fantastic to hear that you enjoy Sri Lankan and Southern Indian foods. They truly have a rich and diverse culinary heritage. I'll be sure to bring more Sri Lankan recipes to the table, so we can explore the flavors and traditions together. 🥰🥰🥰

Hello everyone,

I'm thrilled to join this vibrant community of food lovers here on DiscussCooking.com. My name is Kushanya Sandamali, and I'm a 26-year-old culinary enthusiast hailing from the beautiful island of Sri Lanka.

I've always had a passion for experimenting with flavors and creating delicious dishes in my kitchen. Today, I wanted to introduce myself by sharing a mouthwatering recipe for "Spicy Sweet Potato Chips." I recently came across this fantastic recipe, and I couldn't resist trying it out. The combination of sweet and spicy flavors really took these chips to another level!​

View attachment 64824

If you have any questions or suggestions, please don't hesitate to reach out. I'm looking forward to connecting with all of you and learning from your culinary adventures.

Thank you for welcoming me into this fantastic community. Let's embark on a delicious journey together!

Best regards,
Kushanya Sandamali​

I want to apologize for including the video link in my previous article without realizing it goes against the forum rules for new members. I'm truly sorry for the oversight, and I appreciate the moderators for taking care of it.

Now, let's dive into the recipe for Spicy Sweet Potato Chips! Here are the ingredients you'll need: ingredients:

• Sweet potato (250 g)
  • Turmeric (1/4 tsp)
  • Salt (1/4 tsp)
  • Coconut oil (150 ml)
  • Chilli powder (1/4 tsp)
Instructions:

1. Preparing the Sweet Potatoes:
    • Begin by thoroughly washing the sweet potato to remove any dirt or impurities.
    • Slice the sweet potato into thin, uniform rounds or rectangles using a sharp knife.
  2. Seasoning the Chips:
    • In a bowl, combine the turmeric, and salt.
  3. Frying the Chips:
    • Heat the coconut oil in a deep pan or skillet over medium-high heat.
    • Carefully add a batch of seasoned sweet potato slices to the hot oil, ensuring they are in a single layer and not overcrowded.
    • Fry the slices for approximately 3-4 minutes, or until they turn golden brown and achieve a satisfying crunch. Flip them halfway through cooking for even crispness.
    • Using a slotted spoon or tongs, transfer the chips to a paper towel-lined plate to remove excess oil. Repeat the process with the remaining slices.
  4. Savoring the Spicy Sweet Potato Chips:
    • Add & mix chili powder.
    • To maintain their crispiness, store any leftover chips in an airtight container.
Happy cooking and enjoy the delicious chips!

Welcome! those fries sound lovely! thank you.

In future you might want to post separate threads for any recipes you are sharing. This way we'll be able to find them under the proper categories.

Putting a sweet potato on my shopping list for this week. Those spices sound great!

I want to apologize for including the video link in my previous article without realizing it goes against the forum rules for new members. I'm truly sorry for the oversight, and I appreciate the moderators for taking care of it.

Now, let's dive into the recipe for Spicy Sweet Potato Chips! Here are the ingredients you'll need: ingredients:

• Sweet potato (250 g)
  • Turmeric (1/4 tsp)
  • Salt (1/4 tsp)
  • Coconut oil (150 ml)
  • Chilli powder (1/4 tsp)
Instructions:

1. Preparing the Sweet Potatoes:
    • Begin by thoroughly washing the sweet potato to remove any dirt or impurities.
    • Slice the sweet potato into thin, uniform rounds or rectangles using a sharp knife.
  2. Seasoning the Chips:
    • In a bowl, combine the turmeric, and salt.
  3. Frying the Chips:
    • Heat the coconut oil in a deep pan or skillet over medium-high heat.
    • Carefully add a batch of seasoned sweet potato slices to the hot oil, ensuring they are in a single layer and not overcrowded.
    • Fry the slices for approximately 3-4 minutes, or until they turn golden brown and achieve a satisfying crunch. Flip them halfway through cooking for even crispness.
    • Using a slotted spoon or tongs, transfer the chips to a paper towel-lined plate to remove excess oil. Repeat the process with the remaining slices.
  4. Savoring the Spicy Sweet Potato Chips:
    • Add & mix chili powder.
    • To maintain their crispiness, store any leftover chips in an airtight container.
Happy cooking and enjoy the delicious chips!
I found the real yams in a local independent shop.

I'm curious, @cookingwithsanda what type of chili pepper do you use in this - is it one of the milder, darker ones, like the Kashmiri and Byadagi types the Indians use, or the hotter, lighter colored Thai type? What varieties of chilis do you use the most, in your cooking?

I am a moderate spicy-eater, my wife less. Our son is chef, loves Mediterranean cooking, but not spicy. Our D.i.L is from Thailand. We sometimes meet her Thai-friends. Also more moderate spicy- eaters. But one of the friends has a real shop for Thai-food. Spicy !

What is called "suicide-hot" in Canada I can handle easy. But what some Indonesians called mild in the past is far beyond me !
I am not an expert on different sorts of peppers.
The lazy but perfect way for me: Sambal. Many different types available, from industrial to homemade for sale often on the streetmarkets.
Witt lemon-grass added for example.

I use that in most things I eat.
Even a sandwich mild Gouda cheese lights up with a little bit of sambal on it.

20230607_145554-COLLAGE.jpg

I'm curious, @cookingwithsanda what type of chili pepper do you use in this - is it one of the milder, darker ones, like the Kashmiri and Byadagi types the Indians use, or the hotter, lighter colored Thai type? What varieties of chilis do you use the most, in your cooking?
Thank you so much for your comment and your curiosity about the type of chili pepper used in my Spicy Sweet Potato Chips recipe. I'm delighted to share a bit more about it!

In this particular recipe, I actually used homemade chili powder. I take great joy in preparing my own spices at home, and chili powder is no exception. I have a small chili garden where I carefully grow chili plants, and when the chilis are ready, I dry them under the warm sunshine. Once they are dried to perfection, I blend them using a home blender machine.

Using homemade chili powder adds a personal touch and ensures a fresh and vibrant flavor to my dishes. I find it incredibly rewarding to create my own spices, and it allows me to customize the intensity and flavor profile to suit my taste preferences.

To give you a glimpse into my chili garden and the love I put into growing these chilis, I've attached a photo for you. As you can see, my loving sisters are also part of this delightful experience!My cute sisters in my Chili Garden.jpg

Thank you again for your interest, and I hope you enjoy exploring the world of homemade spices. If you have any further questions or would like to share your own experiences, please feel free to do so.

LOL, sanda, I think you must have misunderstood pepperhead, he was asking which chili peppers you use. All his chili's are homegrown (I believe) and he makes the most wonderful home mixes.

for example, I think you would be interested in one of his posts on Masalas,
Masalas, Indian Spice Mix
he gives his homemade recipes for 4 different Masalas.

LOL, sanda, I think you must have misunderstood pepperhead, he was asking which chili peppers you use. All his chili's are homegrown (I believe) and he makes the most wonderful home mixes.

for example, I think you would be interested in one of his posts on Masalas,
Masalas, Indian Spice Mix
he gives his homemade recipes for 4 different Masalas.
I apologize for the misunderstanding. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom