New Range?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ScottinPollock, I don't want to quote that entire, long post #19. You make some excellent points. It's not a personal concern for me because, I have an electric stove and heat with electricity. Electricity is a bargain in Quebec, since we have huge hydro dams.

Roll Bones - if you are just using your Range for the propane a 100 gal tank should be good. Rent for it is not that expensive.

If you buy your own, be aware of installation rules BEFORE you call the inspector and have to do it again. LOL distance from a window, etc.
Also if you buy your own, consider the idea of a 2nd one. One filled is ready to use while you go and fill the 2nd. of course, if someone comes and delivers, not a problem. Keep a clear path. Call at 30%. If you do your own, you also must transport the tanks in an upright position. Pick-em-up trucks work, vans and sedans don't.

John, Your mention of that automatic shutoff on the electric burners made me think of something from back in the early 90s, when my parents got a ceramic topped range, and when, say a pot of water was put on to boil, and it was on high, the thing would cycle on and off, not just stay on! This never made sense to me, and my Mother really found it annoying. When she later moved, she went back to gas!

I also started thinking that maybe there are some electric coil type ranges/cooktops that restaurants use, in areas where they can't use gas. They would not have all that fancy crap, with automatic shutoffs and so forth! Or maybe some no frills coil burner types that a cheap apartment builder would use - they have to install things that won't be breaking down, which is what that electronic stuff does. But then, they might be the ones who started those auto shutoff things, so people won't burn down the buildings!

ahem, cough, cough - they are called cheap apartment builders for a reason.

Yes, but those places have to install things that hold up to some people that don't take care of things like it's their own, as well as things that won't be breaking down shortly. I was just thinking of possible options that have to still be out there.

Some friends, who just moved out of their apt. into a rented house, had one of those coil burner ranges in the apt., and it was not a cheap place - the reason she wanted to get out! They don't like ceramic top where they are now as much as the coil burners before, but the son (who does much of the cooking) said it's just something to get used to.

Roll Bones - if you are just using your Range for the propane a 100 gal tank should be good. Rent for it is not that expensive.

If you buy your own, be aware of installation rules BEFORE you call the inspector and have to do it again. LOL distance from a window, etc.
Also if you buy your own, consider the idea of a 2nd one. One filled is ready to use while you go and fill the 2nd. of course, if someone comes and delivers, not a problem. Keep a clear path. Call at 30%. If you do your own, you also must transport the tanks in an upright position. Pick-em-up trucks work, vans and sedans don't.

I was thinking 100 gallon myself. Upright or horizontal?
I want one that I do not have to fill myself. I want it filled on site.
I have not purchased the electric range yet. I am still making sure gas is to big a problem to tackle.
Yes, I need to download the installation requirements for my jurisdiction. Tank placement and gas line requirements.

John, Your mention of that automatic shutoff on the electric burners made me think of something from back in the early 90s, when my parents got a ceramic topped range, and when, say a pot of water was put on to boil, and it was on high, the thing would cycle on and off, not just stay on! This never made sense to me, and my Mother really found it annoying. When she later moved, she went back to gas!

I also started thinking that maybe there are some electric coil type ranges/cooktops that restaurants use, in areas where they can't use gas. They would not have all that fancy crap, with automatic shutoffs and so forth! Or maybe some no frills coil burner types that a cheap apartment builder would use - they have to install things that won't be breaking down, which is what that electronic stuff does. But then, they might be the ones who started those auto shutoff things, so people won't burn down the buildings!

Not only do the new coil burners have a high temp shutoff they have a button switch on top of each burner that will not allow it to heat up unless a pot is on it. So no more preheating a burner before you put that big pot of water on it.
The new coil burners are not an option it seems. To many safety features to make it worthwhile to me.

I used to have a ceramic top glass stove and ditched it for propane after the top cracked - twice. I also use big pans and am not a delicate flower with them. I shake, slam and generally create a ruckus. I got a thermadore range and LOVE it.

I prefer cooking on propane but there are some downsides. The biggest one is expense. The range will cost you more and you have to pay to get set up with propane. In my area, there is an inspection required and tank placement is part of that inspection but it went seamlessly.

For propane there are some options. When I first installed tanks we opted for two 100 lb tanks and a cut over valve.

3 years ago I moved and started from scratch again with a kitchen reno and a new propane installation. This time I purchased a 100 gallon upright tank (cost about $300.00) and have just had it refilled for the first time.

Local propane suppliers costs drove both choices.

Thanks Janet.
Yesterday I was at the local bar and found out the owner and a couple regulars use a local propane company. So now, there is hope the propane idea becomes a reality.

Janet. Last weekend while looking at fridges and stoves, I noticed the gas stoves were less money for much better construction.
I too thought gas would be more money not less?
For under $1000, I can get a very nice gas range. Very nice.

Lets see what happens when I call the gas dealer. I had forgot until now.

Update:
Just got off the phone with propane gas company. Looks like propane gas has become a reality.
$223 installed. Includes first year lease, 100 gallon tank set.
I will run the line.
They will inspect the line and tell me what they require.

Yea!!!!!!

Great news! I confess I haven't read all the posts. I believe you have to buy a gas stove fitted for propane rather than natural gas. Propane burns hotter than natural gas but I don't know if the differences in the stove counteract that.

Generally speaking when gas ranges are built they factory install fittings for Natural Gas. You must change the fittings (usually supplied) for the Propane.

Here only licensed gas techie guys can do it. It's a bit fiddly.

Glad the propane is turning to reality. I think you will be MUCH happier in the end.

Great to hear, John! Nothing like cooking with gas or propane. Those different propane pressure regulators came with my range, back in '83, along with the ones for natural gas. The plumber, who ran the gas line for me, explained the difference, but there was nothing complicated about it, or different about installing them. I gave them to the plumber, figuring that maybe he could use them on a job - I knew I'd never need them!

Good luck getting all that work done, as quickly as possible, so you can start cooking on your new stove!

Cooking up a storm soon Roll Bones. Even in a power failure! Wheee!

Forgot about that. But don't I need the electronic controls to operate the range?

Great news! I confess I haven't read all the posts. I believe you have to buy a gas stove fitted for propane rather than natural gas. Propane burns hotter than natural gas but I don't know if the differences in the stove counteract that.

I see the stoves I am looking at come with the natural gas orifices installed and propane orifices included for conversion. I looks like you remove the natural gas orifices and install the propane orifices. The ranges have instructions on how to convert.
Thats what it looks like.

Generally speaking when gas ranges are built they factory install fittings for Natural Gas. You must change the fittings (usually supplied) for the Propane.
Here only licensed gas techie guys can do it. It's a bit fiddly.

I checked and the gas company I will use, does the inspection at no charge.
I was told yesterday that the propane manager is to call me and explain what I need to do. Then when they bring the tank, they will check it out and fill the tank. All of this is for the price I mentioned above.

Great to hear, John! Nothing like cooking with gas or propane. Those different propane pressure regulators came with my range, back in '83, along with the ones for natural gas. The plumber, who ran the gas line for me, explained the difference, but there was nothing complicated about it, or different about installing them. I gave them to the plumber, figuring that maybe he could use them on a job - I knew I'd never need them!

Good luck getting all that work done, as quickly as possible, so you can start cooking on your new stove!

Thanks. They told me it takes about 5-7 days after application to delivery.
I emailed the application yesterday.
I have been reading about the regulators. The one outside on the tank will be handled by the gas company. The regulator inside will be explained to me buy the gas company as well.
Basically everything is handled by them. All I have to do is run the line and I assume install a shutoff behind the range and have some flexible gas line ready to connect to the range.

It has been quite a stressful and depressing life for the last few months. With the passing of our youngest daughter and my loving MIL, I needed something. Something small like this has made me feel a little better.
Now if I could just find something to cheer up my wife.

OH......I found a range that is more than $1000. Its about $1500. But has convection bake and lots of other things I like a lot.
It has a double oven. I am even willing to spend a bit more as this should be my last oven purchase. I hope not, but I'm not getting younger.

Anyone have a double oven and what is your feedback on them?
I am concerned my thanksgiving turkey will not fit in the bigger of the two ovens?

I think it is a "duel fuel" as well. Consumer Reports has it listed as "duel fuel" And maybe why the oven has such high ratings. Even "broil" has Excellent rating.
Thanks John

Forgot about that. But don't I need the electronic controls to operate the range?
I think some of them have batteries so they will work in a power failure. If not, you could probably plug the thing into some sort of power pack. I assume that you can plug the stove into a regular 110 Volt wall outlet for the electronics.

Not sure what kind of electronic controls there are for stove top burners. If you turn a knob to light them, you should be OK. The automatic sparking won't work but you can light them with a match.

A double oven would be super if you cook big meals like Thanksgiving dinner. Make sure a turkey will fit.

You can light your burners with a match. Flame control is a rotary dial, not electronic. Just the spark would not work.

Oven is a different matter. You need to have the temperature sensor working, otherwise it would just get hotter and hotter.

I have my stove connected to my generator grid, taxy is correct, you only need 110. So my oven works during a failure.

Love the old old gas range we have up north - good old fashioned pilot light for the oven! Does have a temperature guage that switches it up and down but no electricity.

Not sure what kind of electronic controls there are for stove top burners. If you turn a knob to light them, you should be OK. The automatic sparking won't work but you can light them with a match.

A double oven would be super if you cook big meals like Thanksgiving dinner. Make sure a turkey will fit.

A friend of mine had one that wouldn't turn on the gas in the stove top burners or oven, if the electronic sparking wasn't working. Safety feature.

Back
Top Bottom