Odd size canning jar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cristan

Assistant Cook
Hello. I have a Bernardin 1.4 liter/48 oz. wide mouth canning jar. I can not find this size online. Does any one know where to buy them?

Attachments

• WP_20210813_15_51_35_Pro.jpg
    WP_20210813_15_51_35_Pro.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 76
What will you use them for? Most canning authorities require 32 oz as the largest size that is approved for anything UNLESS you are canning grape juice or using them for some other purpose. They aren't common in the US.

If not on line or at Canadian Tire, try Marketplace or Varage. Someone may be trying to give/sell them.

and Welcome to DC, Cristan!

I'm not using them for canning. I tried all those sites. It's odd too that not even a picture, other than mine, is not available. Just weird.

I found a half-gallon (2 liter) canning jar at a thrift shop several years ago. I've used it for making preserved lemons, but that's all. I'd guess they're not commercially available anymore, but you might be able to find them in resale shops or sources like eBay.

I got a half dozen of 2 qt wide mouth ball jars last year relatively cheap - considering the price of lids, at the time, which came with them, the jars were only about a dollar each! I have never seen that odd size of 48 oz., however. I use the large ones for storage - never canning. I have some 3 cup jars - an odd size, nice to have, when you have about that much for the last jar of something.

Last edited:
I have one 8 cup, wide mouth mason jar which I use for honey. I bought it for $1.00 at a thrift store. I bought the 1.4 liter or 6 cup wide mouth for $0.50 also at a thrift store. Gotta love thrift stores for the occasional odd jars. I have yet to find a 3 cup size. Will keep looking.

I have one 8 cup, wide mouth mason jar which I use for honey. I bought it for $1.00 at a thrift store. I bought the 1.4 liter or 6 cup wide mouth for $0.50 also at a thrift store. Gotta love thrift stores for the occasional odd jars. I have yet to find a 3 cup size. Will keep looking.

If you just want a jar that is approximately 3 cups, then, you could go with a 750 ml (3.17 US cups) jar or a 700 ml (2.96 US cups) jar. Both are available at Canadian Tire.

Thinking about the Americans/Non-Canadians reading this thread whowonder why the heck would you get canning jars at a Tire Store? lol

Last edited:
Thinking about the Americans/Non-Canadians reading this thread and wonder why the heck would you get canning jars at a Tire Store? lol

:LOL: Yeah, that does sound pretty funny. For all the non-Canadians, it's also a hardware store. It has kitchen equipment, BBQ and camping gear, stuff for sports, and I'm sure stuff I forgot. Of course it has tires and car stuff and often a car repair garage.

Canadians, God love them. It's certainly not clear to US citizens.

The odd size of 12 oz, 1 and 1/2 times as big as a cup jar, the odd size of 24 oz, one and 1/2 times as big as a pint, are also odd sizes that I use.

Last year there was a jar shortage and the prices were jacked up. So we posted on some local forums for jars. We would pay 40 cents a quart, 35 cents a pint, and 30 cents for smaller. We picked up about 750 jars from neighbors and people that had them in their basements but didn't want to run a rummage sale and try to sell them. Some didn't even want to go into the basement and carry them upstairs, so we did that.

I ended up with some blue jars too. I told the sellers I'm not wanting other sizes and I'm not wanting antique jars. I'm not willing to pay for those. That didn't stop people from throwing them in for free with a hundred jars. I also bought a pressure canner brand new for 10 dollars and I gave it to a niece because she is just starting to can things and she gardens and does chickens.

I use the too large jars (anything larger than 32 oz) for dried goods. I use the middle sizes that are not pints or quarts for sauces and condiments like ketchup and brown sauce.

I love having the jars. :LOL:

So out of that mess, I have some blue jars from all different periods in history and they are amazing. I use them for pantry storage for grain and legumes and dried herbs/teas, upstairs.

This is what that looks like. I think they are beautiful.
cursiveAblueset.jpb.jpg

So out of that mess, I have some blue jars from all different periods in history and they are amazing. I use them for pantry storage for grain and legumes and dried herbs/teas, upstairs.

This is what that looks like. I think they are beautiful.
cursiveAblueset.jpb.jpg
They are beautiful. Cool to have a set like that.

Amazon has several colors of Ball/Mason jars. Blue, purple, amber etc.

Back
Top Bottom